What do I do with a teen God-son who wants to be a Jew?

My God-son has decided he wants to be Jewish. His parents are divorced, father devoute Catholic, mother raised pentacostal and is anti-Catholic. Despite agreeing for my God-son’s becoming Catholic, she has gone back on that, ridicule’s Catholism before her children, etc. My God-son wants me to find Jewish prayers on the inter-net, has told me he doesn’t believe Christ is God, etc. I have told him I will do no such thing, as I have an obligation as his God-father to see him raised Catholic. I do not argue, just try to be reasonable in my explainations. Do you have any suggestions on what I should do? His father is very frustrated with this situation and also at a loss. Thank you!

Dear W,

Get him Rosalind Moss’s tape set, “A Day of Grace” in which she describes her journey from Judaism, through Evangelical Protestantism, to the Catholic Church. It’s available through catholic.com or by phone: 888 291 8000.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.