What do I do with ashes of a deceased relative?

A family member recently died. She received the sacraments and a Catholic funeral mass and after she was cremated, a Catholic burial. Each of her children received a small urn of her ashes. I am now finding out that this is against Catholic teachings. I don’t believe that the person making the decision to give his children urns knew that it was against teachings, or if the Funeral Director even know. So, is this a sin? Who does it fall on? What should I do with her ashes, and also, what, if anything can I do about the ashes that other children received?

The following links should assist you in better understanding the Catholic Church’s teaching on cremation and the proper repose of ashes. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
Does the Church allow cremation?

Catholic Burial ground?
What can be done with cremains?
Can I bury my ashes at home?
Is it correct to keep the cremains of a deceased relative in your home?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.