What do I do with my sin?

Hi,

Let me introduce myself. I’m a 21 year old female that attends a catholic university. I’ve been with my boyfriend for a little over a year and a half. I was brought up and am still strong in my catholic faith. My boyfriend understands this and does attend church with me. He is amazing and everything I could dream to have in a boyfriend. We had discussed how I wanted to wait until marriage for sex because of my religion. He respected and agreed when I brought it up. Unfortunately, last weekend, I made a huge mistake and had premarital sex. :frowning: It was quick and I know that does not make it any better. The thing is, the whole time, as much as I wanted to, all I could think was ‘is this really happening’. I still can’t believe that it happened…and I’m not saying I didn’t like it at all…but I do wish that it hadn’t happened. My main question is that, I know that is an extremely serious sin and I don’ tknow what to do about it. I think that since it’s a mortal sin, that if I do confess it at confession, then “it doesn’t really count” because it’s so serious. I want help in finding out what to do. I hope to hear back soon, I can’t help but thinking about it.

Sarin

Hi,

All mortal sins are serious sins, but not so serious that the Lord can’t forgive them. Get yourself to Confession and wake up. Avoid those situations were you are more vulnerable than you thought!

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.