What do I have to do to return to the Catholic Church?

I was raised in the Catholic religion and converted to a different religion after I was married. I’ve been inactive for many years and have started attending Catholic church again. My question is, obviously in order to be able to receive Communion, I need to absolve my self of mortal sin. A lot has changed in the church since I last attended. Do I need to go to a priest for confession or can I do everything in the Sacrament of Reconciliation?

Marg,

I am thrilled to hear of your return to Mass and the Sacraments! I’ve linked six thread below for you because of the resources in each. The first two lay out what you need to do to return to the Eucharist, the next two will help you to prepare for Confession, and the last two are just in case you wondered. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly. Welcome home!

**Recommended Reading:
[thread=127629]After sixteen years, can I return to the Church?[/thread]
[thread=92885]Where do I begin…?[/thread]

[thread=34632]How do I make my first confession in fifteen years?[/thread]
[thread=56937]How do I best prepare for confession after being away for 43 years?[/thread]

How do I arrange for a long confession?**
Is it ok to cry during Confession?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.