What do "LatterDay Saints" Believe?

I have a friend who is part of the LatterDay Saints Church…in other word Mormon. What are the biggest differences in beliefs?

In the early 1800s, Joseph Smith went into a group of trees to pray about which church he should join. God and Jesus appeared to him. Joseph learned that the church they created no longer existed. Joseph was chosen to establish the real church. During the next ten years, Joseph was visited by other heavenly beings, translated the book of Mormon, and received authority to organize the church.The book is called Mormon after the ancient prophet who compiled the ancient record. The church was organized in 1830. Joseph Smith is considered to be a prophet like those in Biblical times.
In 1844, Joseph was killed in Illinois. The leadership of the church passed to Brigham Young. He led the pioneers to Salt Lake City and led it for many years after that.
The church has a strong emphasis on family. There is a strong enphasis on good works. There is a strong emphasis on genealogy research.

THE FOLLOWING IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY A MORMON. I HAVE NOT READ OR RESEARCHED THIS MYSELF:
They do not believe in the trinity.
They do not believe Mary was a virgin she had sexual relations with God in some form.
They believe Jesus and Satan were brothers or relatives.
They believe people or men will or can populate their own planets.
They believe Jesus visited Central and/or South America after he left the Holy Land.
Once supported polygamy.

Most mainstream Christians view Mormonism as a cult. If you go into any Christian bookstore, you will often find information on them in the cults section.

Also, I believe many versions (perhaps not the main one, though) are quite sexist, and only men can reach the top level of heaven. I got that from a book a long time ago.

This site has some decent info on them.catholic.com/library/noncatholic_groups.asp

This site has some good information on them also:
www.mormon.org

Some people think the things that Catherine of A thinks, and some people think the things that Koldstare thinks, but as in the Catholic church, there are many misconceptions and half truths put out by non believers. I being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints(commonly called Mormon) do not recognize some of the descriptions of what we believe, any more than you would recognize the things non-Catholics say Catholics believe. Check out the thread on misconceptions of Catholic beliefs it is really funny, but kind of gives you the same idea that the non-Mormons have about Mormons. I found it very interesting, there are even things in there that supposedly are believed only by Mormons about Catholics and I have never heard of those things.
You will hear a lot of different opinions here about Mormons, but you will only find the truth by asking a Mormon. Check out our 13 Articles of Faith, they may be in the Mormon.org site. I don’t have time to write them out right now. Good luck with deciphering the truth from the fiction. Maybe some Mormons with more time will give some answers, I will check back tomorrow.
BJ :slight_smile:

[quote=CatherineofA]In the early 1800s, Joseph Smith went into a group of trees to pray about which church he should join. God and Jesus appeared to him. Joseph learned that the church they created no longer existed. Joseph was chosen to establish the real church. During the next ten years, Joseph was visited by other heavenly beings, translated the book of Mormon, and received authority to organize the church.The book is called Mormon after the ancient prophet who compiled the ancient record. The church was organized in 1830. Joseph Smith is considered to be a prophet like those in Biblical times.
In 1844, Joseph was killed in Illinois. The leadership of the church passed to Brigham Young. He led the pioneers to Salt Lake City and led it for many years after that.
The church has a strong emphasis on family. There is a strong enphasis on good works. There is a strong emphasis on genealogy research.

THE FOLLOWING IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY A MORMON. I HAVE NOT READ OR RESEARCHED THIS MYSELF:
They do not believe in the trinity.
They do not believe Mary was a virgin she had sexual relations with God in some form.
They believe Jesus and Satan were brothers or relatives.
They believe people or men will or can populate their own planets.
They believe Jesus visited Central and/or South America after he left the Holy Land.
Once supported polygamy.

Most mainstream Christians view Mormonism as a cult. If you go into any Christian bookstore, you will often find information on them in the cults section.
[/quote]

My first two paragraphs are like what is written on www.mormon.org I checked your site referral to be sure what I wrote is like the information your site provides. The other comments, as I stated, were told to me by another Mormon. I have not read or personally researched this. Perhaps you can answer them with your own words.

1. Does the trinity exist with God in three persons 3 in 1?
  2. Was Jesus born of a virgin birth? Did Mary have an immaculate conception with Jesus that did not involve sex?
  3. Were Jesus and Satan related?
  4. Can people or men live on after death to populate their own planets or places away from earth?
  5. Did Christ make a visit to Central or /and South America?
  6. Did the church practice polygamy in the past? Especially Joseph Smith and Brigham Young?

[quote=BJ Colbert]This site has some good information on them also:
www.mormon.org

You will hear a lot of different opinions here about Mormons, but you will only find the truth by asking a Mormon… Maybe some Mormons with more time will give some answers, I will check back tomorrow.
BJ :slight_smile:
[/quote]

BJ Colbert,

You will only find the truth by asking a Mormon? Don’t you think the best way to research a topic is by learning about a Church’s teachings and researching their apologetics groups? I would suggest researching the LDS website called Fair or Farms. Compare answers to questions you have with the Catholic and other Christian apologetics sites. If you can’t find answers to your questions from these sources than ask a Mormon or someone who use to be, (there are several of us at this forum who are Catholic now and some who use to be Catholic and are now Mormon) because we would all like to discuss the theological differences of our religions or former religions.

Originally Posted by CatherineofA

1. Does the trinity exist with God in three persons 3 in 1?
  2. Was Jesus born of a virgin birth? Did Mary have an immaculate conception with Jesus that did not involve sex?
  3. Were Jesus and Satan related?
  4. Can people or men live on after death to populate their own planets or places away from earth?
  5. Did Christ make a visit to Central or /and South America?
  6. Did the church practice polygamy in the past? Especially Joseph Smith and Brigham Young?

I’ll give you short answers because it is late.

1. Mormons are polytheistic; God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are all seperate gods making up the God Head. Mormons believe there are three seperate Gods with relation to our definition of the Trinity.

2. Yes Mormons believe that Mary was a Virgin. Yes Mary had an emmaculate conception with reference to the fact that she was not born with original sin, because Mormons don’t believe that anyone is born with original sin. Earlier Mormon Prophets and Apostles talked about Mary becoming pregnant from a physical act of procreation with God. Modern church teachings don’t really discuss this issue.

3. Yes, Mormons Believe that God our Heavenly Father and our Heavenly Mother(s) created all of us in the Pre-exsistance near the star Kolob. Jesus is our oldest brother and Lucifer or Satan was the son of the morning our other brother, hence making them brothers.

4. Yes, Mormons believe that Men who have gone through the temple and lived rightously may be given Godhood in the afterlife. You will get multiple wives and your own planet that you can populate with your spirit children in your own pre-exsistence and send your only begotten son to die for all their sins.

5. Yes, that is the basis of the Book of Mormon. A testement of Christ in the Americas.

6. Yes, Mormons practiced polygamy. Joseph Smith set this practice into motion after he was ordered by God. Brigham Young, I believe had at least 27 wives.

I hope this answers some of your questions. And Mormons and ex-mormons on this Forum feel free to disagree or add to my answers.

God bless

ex-mo

1. Mormons do not beleive in the Holy Trinity, they beleive in three separate and independent “gods”, they call this the “godhead”.

2.Mormons also believe that God the Father was once a human being exactly the same as you and I who has a human body of “flesh and bone”. They beleive that the Father worked his way up from humanity to godhood. They beleive that they too may become “gods” by being worthy, keeping the Mormon commandments, and by being married “for time and eternity” in one of their temples. This is called “eternal progression”.

1. Mormons used to teach openly that Jesus was concieved by sexual intercourse between the Father and Mary. Now this doctrine has been downplayed but never denied.

2. Mormons teach that we all have two existences, “pre-existence” and our present existence. They teach that in the “Pre-existence” we are all literal children of “heavenly Father and Mother”, this means that not only are Jesus and Satan brothers, but we too are siblings to Jesus and Satan

I was going to add more, but I see that ex-mormon has already beaten me to it.

Thanks to Bobbysbud and Ex-Mormon. Glad you verified what I was told by another Mormon. Based on what you two posted, I was told the correct thing.

It is easy to see how they have come to be regarded as a cult and not a part of Christianity.

One productive thing I have noticed about the Mormon religion is its contributions in genealogy research. They have a major library/center in Utah that holds a lot of resources. The sad thing about this is that some Mormons I have come across are not very interested in the documentation and proof while researching as much as they are in adding names and generations. Does anyone know how the emphasis on genealogy plays into the religion? Is it related to the afterlife and the family in the afterlife?

[quote=CatherineofA]One productive thing I have noticed about the Mormon religion is its contributions in genealogy research. They have a major library/center in Utah that holds a lot of resources. The sad thing about this is that some Mormons I have come across are not very interested in the documentation and proof while researching as much as they are in adding names and generations. Does anyone know how the emphasis on genealogy plays into the religion? Is it related to the afterlife and the family in the afterlife?
[/quote]

CatherineofA,

I am not Mormon, but my brother and his family and my step-mother and her family are. My step-mother is WAY into genealogy. The way I understand it is that the emphasis on genealogy comes from the beliefs in baptism for the dead and families being sealed to each other for eternity. My step-mother (a convert from Catholicism) was baptised by proxy for my deceased mother and then sealed by proxy to my dad; after my dad died (under circumstances that would have led to his excommunication from the LDS church had he lived) she was unsealed from him and then resealed when she married her current husband (I think that my mother was also unsealed/resealed, as well, but I’m not certain). My dad once explained to me that Mormons believe in a kind of holding place after death for those who had never converted where they were evangelized to until they accepted the church as true, and then they were given a proxy baptism.

At the risk of beating a “dead horse” I am a Latter-day Saint “investigating” the Catholic Church. I have Catholic friends who are respectfully sharing their faith with me. I’m not sure I believe that there was a “Great Apostasy” or that the LDS Church is true anymore. However, I must agree with BJ. If you want to know what a Mormon believes ask a Mormon. If you want to know what the LDS Church officially teaches and believes today go the LDS official website. There were many things taught and believed by members and Church leaders in the past that are not official Church doctrine. There are also some things taught and believed by some Church members today that are not official doctrine. Official doctine comes from the 4 standard works (Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price), Official Declarations or Proclamations, the current General Handbook and approved Curriculum, and talks from General Conference or other Official Gatherings given by living Apostles or Prophets. Anything else is pure speculation.

My Catholic friends may sometimes tell me something they believe, but are quick to tell me that it may not be an official teaching of the Church. They tell me to consult the Catechism which I am now reading. Many Mormons will tell you things which they understand to be doctrine, but is not.

I realize that many of you are trying to prevent people from being deceived by a “false cult”. While that may be commendable, it can lead to persecution, which both of our Churches have suffered in the past. Far better to be a good example of your own faith as my Catholic friends are and share what is true and beautiful. I believe that your beloved John Paul II was a great example of this. Defend your own faith without trying to tear down the faith of others. (This happens on both sides.)

[quote=searcher]At the risk of beating a “dead horse” I am a Latter-day Saint “investigating” the Catholic Church. I have Catholic friends who are respectfully sharing their faith with me. I’m not sure I believe that there was a “Great Apostasy” or that the LDS Church is true anymore.

[/quote]

I’m sure your investigation of the Catholic Church has caused you to re-examine your LDS faith more thorougly than you ever have before. I went through the same thing when I was dating my wife and started learning about the LDS faith. It was that situation that forced me to really study Catholicism, which led me wholeheartedly back into the Catholic Church. The Apostacy was a key issue for me and after looking at the evidence from both sides, I learned that there was no way it could have happened the way the missionaries explained it. There was way to much biblical and historical evidence in favor of a continuing church. Every verse the missionaries quoted to me from the Bible in support of an apostacy only talked about strife within the church here or there, but never anything regarding a total apostacy. They read into those verses way more than what was actually there. The things the missionaries taught me about the apostacy just didn’t ring true, as if they took it for granted with almost no proof. I then realized that this apostacy theory was the entire basis for the LDS church, and if it didn’t happen then no matter how good their church appeared in different areas, it couldn’t be true.

[quote=searcher]Official doctine comes from the 4 standard works (Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price), Official Declarations or Proclamations, the current General Handbook and approved Curriculum, and talks from General Conference or other Official Gatherings given by living Apostles or Prophets. Anything else is pure speculation.
[/quote]

Could you clarify for me, are you saying that those 4 standard works plus ONLY stuff from living prophets or apostles? Can anything from dead prophets be used too (obviously I mean if a living prophet isn’t currently teaching it or hasn’t addressed it yet)?

Where does it say that official doctrine only comes from these places, btw?

Yes, and if teachings of former prophets and apostles are now rejected or played down, how can you trust what the current apostles and prophets say? Does Mormonism teach the infallibility of the apostles and prophets in matters of faith and morals? (Like we do, in the case of the Pope of Rome, when he solemnly defines matters of faith and morals as binding for the Universal Church, and for all the bishops gathered together in council, as the successors of the apostles).

[quote=searcher]At the risk of beating a “dead horse” I am a Latter-day Saint “investigating” the Catholic Church. I have Catholic friends who are respectfully sharing their faith with me. I’m not sure I believe that there was a “Great Apostasy” or that the LDS Church is true anymore. However, I must agree with BJ. If you want to know what a Mormon believes ask a Mormon.
[/quote]

Hi Searcher and welcome to the site… Good luck in your search for truth. :slight_smile:

I agree wholeheartedly with what you say. Nothing irks me more than when a non-Catholic tries to explain to me what I *really * believe. It must be exactly the same for our LDS brothers and sisters. They are - in a way - closer to us in structure than sola scriptura/sola fide Protestants. Although I do perceive some major doctrinal differences between our two faiths, I prefer to discuss the issue with an LDS member who knows his or her faith, as opposed to a non-LDS member who may or may not be explaining the LDS doctrine correctly. It is best to share what we know of our own faith, to build it up, rather than spreading half-truths about a faith that is foreign to us, to knock it down.

Peace and Charity,

Does anyone know if they prefer to be called Mormon or Latter Day Saints?

[quote=Robert in SD]Hi Searcher and welcome to the site… Good luck in your search for truth. :slight_smile:

I agree wholeheartedly with what you say. Nothing irks me more than when a non-Catholic tries to explain to me what I *really * believe. It must be exactly the same for our LDS brothers and sisters. They are - in a way - closer to us in structure than sola scriptura/sola fide Protestants. Although I do perceive some major doctrinal differences between our two faiths, I prefer to discuss the issue with an LDS member who knows his or her faith, as opposed to a non-LDS member who may or may not be explaining the LDS doctrine correctly. It is best to share what we know of our own faith, to build it up, rather than spreading half-truths about a faith that is foreign to us, to knock it down.

Peace and Charity,
[/quote]

I would agree that a LDS can better explain their faith than someone who has never been LDS. But, there are many ex-LDS on this forum (like me) who were in that church for many, many years, served many positions, went on missions, etc. So, we can definitely give a view of Mormonism that is valid and correct. I think we can also point out in a more objective manner (than someone still in the LDS Church) some of the problems with doctrine, historical facts, etc.

[quote=carol marie]Does anyone know if they prefer to be called Mormon or Latter Day Saints?
[/quote]

I’ve never heard any objection from a LDS to either.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.