What do people think of NCR?

When I was starting to explore the Church again after about ten years absence, a friend recommended I subscribe to the National Catholic Reporter. So I read it for a while, but the more I read Church history and apologetics books, the more I realized that NCR were pushing a really harmful agenda. They’re almost like a parody of a liberal Catholic newspaper. As far as I can tell, almost none of their staff writers, except maybe John Allen, who seems halfway decent, subscribe to basic Church teachings. Their “young voices” section is supposed to represent four or five typical young Catholics of today, but they’re almost all open homosexuals. They all support women’s ordination, same sex marriage, abortion etc. and they never miss an opportunity to bash the Pope over the head for being a reactionary conservative. So, does NCR really represent the views of a lot of Catholics today, or are they really just a marginal paper pushing a marginal agenda?

NCR = BAD. :dts:

It’s quite known that it pushes it’s own agenda and doesn’t follow true Catholic teachings.

If you are looking for a weekly Catholic paper I’d recommend the National Catholic Register instead.

Personally, I read both the *National Catholic Reporter *and the National Catholic Register. I find neither to be “bad.” It never hurts me to get as many sides of an issue as I can.

What I DO appreciate about the Reporter is that it is lay published. I think it’s a good idea to have a few publications covering issues of importance to Catholics that are beyond the reach of a possibly censorious Bishop.

Just my thoughts.

It represents the view of 'liberal Catholics’like Hans Kung (who also writes on NCR.

You know this site is up to no good when many of their ads are for anti-catholic books, blogs and sites…

As far as I can tell, almost none of their staff writers, except maybe John Allen, who seems halfway decent, subscribe to basic Church teachings.

Yes John Allen Jr. is OK. He tries to be objective in my opinion. This sets him apart from all the others who write strongly polirized anti-catholic articles.

Their “young voices” section is supposed to represent four or five typical young Catholics of today, but they’re almost all open homosexuals. They all support women’s ordination, same sex marriage, abortion etc. and they never miss an opportunity to bash the Pope over the head for being a reactionary conservative.

99% of the comments on the articles reflect these views.

It is clearly a meeting place for liberal catholics and anti-catholics, who would like to see the Church burnt to the ground or become protestant.

What I DO appreciate about the Reporter is that it is lay published. I think it’s a good idea to have a few publications covering issues of importance to Catholics that are beyond the reach of a possibly censorious Bishop.

Many other catholic newspapers are directed by the laity as well, unless they are diocesan newspapers, then they come under direct supervision of the bishop.

Anyway I read NCR as well, it is always wise to keep an eye on them. Keep your enemy close… they say.

PadraigPearce asked: "...So, does NCR really represent the views of a lot of Catholics today, or are they really just a marginal paper pushing a marginal agenda?"

I believe that the NCR represents the views of a great many dutiful, practicing Catholics. It does not represent the views of many Bishops. Among those of us Catholics who live and struggle and pray and carry hope in our hearts from day-to-day, many of the NCR's stories do speak to us and for us. It's easy to get sucked into a theologically-insestuous circle, which offers self-congratulation and some form of comfort. I believe it's better, however, to hear also the views of Catholic journalists whose words are not censored by the party line.

Problem is on Church teaching their isnt two sides to an issue.

To be Catholic, the Party Line is the one you MUST subscribe to. Christ did not leave the Keys to the Kingdom to a great many “dutiful, practicing” people, he left them to one. The “views of the many Bishops” is what you are called to accept as proof. Not to do so is not to be Catholic. There are 10,000 other churches that prefer the views of the many.

At least that’s the opinion of this humble Revert. I wasted 40 years of my life believing otherwise, until God’s 2x4 descended to gently get my attention and lead me back to the truth…

[quote="Sonny1954, post:5, topic:165043"]
PadraigPearce asked: "...So, does NCR really represent the views of a lot of Catholics today, or are they really just a marginal paper pushing a marginal agenda?"

I believe that the NCR represents the views of a great many dutiful, practicing Catholics. It does not represent the views of many Bishops. Among those of us Catholics who live and struggle and pray and carry hope in our hearts from day-to-day, many of the NCR's stories do speak to us and for us. It's easy to get sucked into a theologically-insestuous circle, which offers self-congratulation and some form of comfort. I believe it's better, however, to hear also the views of Catholic journalists whose words are not censored by the party line.

[/quote]

So you view the Church as basically nothing more than a political party? Could you give us a list of wahat parts of the "Party Line" we can safely ignore? It really would be helpful.

[quote="BlackBeard54, post:7, topic:165043"]
To be Catholic, the Party Line is the one you MUST subscribe to. Christ did not leave the Keys to the Kingdom to a great many "dutiful, practicing" people, he left them to one. The "views of the many Bishops" is what you are called to accept as proof. Not to do so is not to be Catholic. There are 10,000 other churches that prefer the views of the many.

At least that's the opinion of this humble Revert. I wasted 40 years of my life believing otherwise, until God's 2x4 descended to gently get my attention and lead me back to the truth...

[/quote]

Nice commentary. Welcome back to the Church:)
I'll add that one who is not only striving to be strong in faith, but also, at least studies the one truth laid down in the Catechism will find that supposedly 'Catholic' publications are muddled with some individual's flawed beliefs that fall in different degrees opposite to the Church's teachings. Unfortunately for the uninformed, there is no disclaimer for such biased rhetoric. Fortunately, though if a person really wants to learn about the foundation of their faith, the Catechism is online at usccb.org/catechism/text/ .
A wealth of information is also at vatican.va/

I believe that the NCR represents the views of a great many dutiful, practicing Catholics.

[/quote]

And what do you base this view on?

It's easy to get sucked into a theologically-insestuous circle, which offers self-congratulation and some form of comfort.

[/quote]

Say what?

I believe it's better, however, to hear also the views of Catholic journalists whose words are not censored by the party line.

[/quote]

What party is that?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.