What do Protestant really believe about the Catholic Church?

Didn’t answe my question, and I think you exaggerate the popularity of prosperity preaching.

I don’t like it because it is not an accurate usage of the term Protestant. Protestant is not a monolithic group. It is a general term that is used to loosely categorize a very broad array of distinct communions.
Lutherans are as dissimilar to Pentecostals as Catholics are. Anglicans do not resemble American Evangelicals in any meaningful way beyond that they are both Christians.

So, no, you didn’t answer it accurately. For many, your answer was as inaccurate as @thebible ‘s description of Catholics

Protestants & the Bible

As a Protestant I have a great deal of respect for much of what is taught and practiced in the Roman Catholic Church (e.g. their strong biblical stance against artificial birth control). However, I also have a number of significant differences. One of the biggest issues I have with Roman Catholicism (and Eastern Orthodoxy for that matter) is the beliefs and practices toward saints and angels.

I believe communicating or seeking to communicate with those who have passed from this life is necromancy–even in the sanitized prayer form encountered with RC/EO. The Scriptures teach that we are not to speak to/seek to speak to/invoke the name of those who have passed from this world–even those who are alive with God.

It was taught in the Old Testament that even the Old Testament saints are alive with God. Christ pointed out to the Sadducees how the Pentateuch taught that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are alive. However, this is never cited in Scripture as a ground for invoking a departed Saint. Rather, any attempted communication with the departed, whether or not he/she is a saint, is explicitly condemned. We have true communion with all those alive in God in Heaven and Earth, but this does not entail that we can invoke those whom we have no physical means of communication with (either on Earth or in Heaven).

Further, we have countless prayers of praise and supplication recorded for us as a perfect pattern in Sacred Scripture and every single prayer is offered to God and not one of them to a saint. To invoke and offer prayer is treated throughout Scripture as an act of worship, and when a specific saint or angel is invoked/prayed to I believe it is by its very nature an act of worship that is being given to a creature rather than the Creator. Definitions of latria vs. dulia and hyperdulia are of little benefit in defending these practices. Scripture defines idolatry by the action of the heart and not the formal definition of what is done or intended to be done (for instance, Scripture calls covetousness idolatry although it is very rare that any covetous person intends to offer latria towards that which he covets).

All this said, I will readily admit that I have plenty of “household gods” in my heart and life and that I often set these gods up in my heart far more quickly than I break them down. My frequent idolatry towards self, the world and the things in it likely outstrips in God’s Eyes any sacrilege that I believe to be committed towards saints or angels by my Roman Catholic brethren. I’m off this thread for the time being–so have a great weekend all.

Some Anglicans don’t much resemble other Anglicans, for that matter.

Not even counting those who decline to answer to the name protestant.

Ditto with the baptists. Liberal baptists like President Carter and Clinton have little resemblance to the late Jerry Falwell

True, that.

When I was a Baptist, back in the previous geological era , I didn’t look or sound much like my compeers.

Agreed, Protestants are not some sort of ‘lumpen mass of proletariat’ to which all Christians who are not Catholic or Orthodox can be assigned in a collective fashion.

Yeah this is very varied. I am a part of a reformed tradition. I’ve seen tracts from my church concerning Catholicism and their plan for salvation and how what they believe is wrong. I’ve seen a family very upset with a daughter dating a Catholic young man. I’ve been in the membership class years back when they taught us that the Catholic perspective on the Eucarist was wrong and like cannibalism, and how mass is very pagan, full of secularism. I’ve also had friends visit Rome and avoid the Catholic stuff or say that it was sad when they saw pilgrimages.
Overall, many of them are earnest, misinformed, or very stuck in their own tradition. But my cousin attends a non denominational church and I think she is open to Catholicism. Our mothers’ family is Catholic and our fathers’ is agnostic or Protestant, so that is probably why.
My husband was anti Catholic when I started discovering the Catholic Church, and his family was Catholic, sort of. His parents who are non religious nowadays disagree with the Catholic Church a lot but then they don’t even understand much nor care to be informed. I think that is what most people do. But I am happy to report that after a few years, my husband’s heart has been opened to the Catholic Church. He told a friend about it but his friend was very concerned for my husband and sent him about 10 YouTube videos showing why the CC is evil. He’s a rogue Christian and doesn’t believe or trust any tradition, especially the CC. It’s bad though because he doesn’t believe in the Trinity, the holy spirit is not a person, and he can’t seem to make up his mind about the Sabbath being on Saturday, Sunday or based on a lunar calendar? It’s just chaos. There are many Protestants who need prayers to find the truth!

This line I think sadly sums up neatly the position of many people regarding religions they are not familiar with.

Dear me, they’re motley too?

I agree with you above, however, in my own personal experience I must admit that after researching Catholicism and some mainline Protestant faiths, I have come to see good things in others that my denomination could learn from and I see weaknesses and “heresies” that in my opinion I want nothing to do with. So I am reaching a point of satisfaction with where I am and a growing awareness that Gods thoughts are not man’s thoughts and so after asking for prayerful guidance of the Holy Spirit I am coming to the conclusion that there may be good, better and best in each situation and to change one aspect from good to better most often means going from better to good in another.

I love it when Catholics like to speak for non-Catholoc believers. It always makes for interesting discussion.

They are merely moderately motley, mostly. But subject to some variance, even within as defined and mainstream a grouping as the Southern Baptist Convention, and with more divergence as one moves further into the hinterlands of Primitive, Free-Will, Two Seed In The Spirit, to the fringes, the thin, vanishing fringes of Baptists.

I stood out because of my rosary, saints medals, and belief that I had a gothic-arched, stained glass soul. I was young, of course.

I was a bit out of kilter in my youth, too. As a child attending Sunday School I was sure the picture on the wall of a noble old man with a long white beard was God. Others held that this was heretical, and that a more orthodox opinion was that he was General Booth.

I hold to the Booth doctrine, on that matter.

Frankly , it is no different than when a member of a non-Catholic communion claims to speak for all Protestants

True…but I do find it…interesting…let’s say, to read on here what I believe as a non-Catholic. There are some times where I just look at my phone sideways like “what the…”?

Yes, I’ve has that too.

Agreed and I amen it.

Sure He does. I agree.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.