What do SDAs really believe?

I’ve heard various things about this group, and some things I heard from an SDA is quite troubling. One thing in particular is that Michael the Archangel and Jesus are the same. Is this still a common held belief?

Also, I read somewhere that they believe that Jesus was once a “Chief Prince of Angels” and had a fallen human nature. Again, I’m not sure if this is still commonly believed. Yet, why would someone belonging to such a denomination trust them if they had it wrong from the beginning?

In Pax Christi
Andrew

I’m not sure about Seventh Day Adventist’s specific beliefs on Jesus, but I do know that Jehovah’s Wittnesses (who are essentially an offshoot of the Millerite/Adventist movement) believe that Jesus Christ and the Archangel Michael are one in the same.

In similar fashion to the Arian heresy centuries ago, they teach that Jesus is not consubstantial with the Father. That he is a created being inferior to God, thereby denying his divinity. Jehovah’s Wittnesses distort the scriptures and claim that the Archangel Michael is Jesus Christ himself among other heretical teachings. If you do a little research you’ll find that their theology changes from time to time to suit their needs and their “New World Translation” of the Bible is replete with errors made specifically to promote their distorted ideology.

Most Adventists believe that “Michael the Archangel” is a title for Christ, but still believe that Christ is truly God and a member of the Trinity.

And yes, a minority of Adventists do believe that Christ had a fallen human nature, arguing that we could not relate to Christ if He had any advantage over us in our struggle against sin. But the denomination itself distances itself from this view.

Their most distinctive believe is that the Sabbath day is still on Saturday and that the primacy of Sunday is the Mark of the Beast. Ellen White, the founder, taught that the Catholic Church is controlled by Satan and that all protestant Churches are basically minions of the Catholic Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.