What do some car companies support?

Ive got a question. I'm getting ready to buy a brand new car or truck and I was looking at Ford because they have always had good trucks. But I had someone tell me that as a good Catholic I should never buy a Ford because they support things that are bad. How do I find out what Ford Honda and Nissan and others support?

I never worried about it before now because I always bought use cars and trucks. And buying used the money just supports the used car dealer.

Ford has long supported gay rights, which is why I’ve always said I would never buy one. They frequently put obscene ads in gay magazines too in addition to giving money to gay-rights groups and sponsoring parades and other events.
Unfortunately, it’s hard to avoid companies that don’t support gay rights because so many of them do now. :frowning: Target and Wachovia support them too.
I’m not sure about Nissan or Honda, but if you do a google search I’m sure you’ll find out. They are foreign companies, though, so they might not be as quick to jump on trendy American bandwagons like gay rights and environmentalism.

I didnt know that about Ford…I will definitely stay away from Ford now!

[quote="Charlotte1776, post:2, topic:217865"]
:( Target and Wachovia support them too.

[/quote]

Hows Wells Fargo? cos they bought out Wachovia

I'd be sure to do my own due diligence on this question. I just did a quick check. Ford gave $250,000 to a gay and lesbian group. They have also supported breast cancer foundations for over $100,000,000.

"Ford Motor Company and its dealers have dedicated more than $100 million to the fight against breast cancer, throughout its 15-year partnership with Susan G. Komen for the Cure."

Gays and lesbians drive cars. Ford sells cars. I am not sure if Ford is supporting gay rights or just selling cars???

Is your “Catholic” view is that gay’s should not have rights? What about environmental rights? Sorry, but there are a lot of good people at Ford, Target, Wachovia that are just trying to make a living. If we hold them accountable to the actions of the corporate executives then why not hold every US citizen accountable for the terrorist acts committed by our government?

I work for a company that has a code of conduct that no one can be discriminated against due to sexual orientation. IE gays have the right to work there. I think the code is based on the social trend and if my employer did not have that code, they would not be voted one of the best companies to work for.

Personally, I think if we are all there to do a job, how would anyone (who minds their own business and does their work) find out. What does that have to do with anything?

I agree with not buying a product from an immoral company. Unfortunatley if a Catholic wants to follow that principal, they better learn to build their own car from scrath. How is supporting gays any worse than using gorgeous women to sell a car and promoting the degradation of women?

CM

[quote="Charlotte1776, post:2, topic:217865"]
Ford has long supported gay rights, which is why I've always said I would never buy one. **They frequently put obscene ads in gay magazines **too in addition to giving money to gay-rights groups and sponsoring parades and other events.
Unfortunately, it's hard to avoid companies that don't support gay rights because so many of them do now. :( Target and Wachovia support them too.
I'm not sure about Nissan or Honda, but if you do a google search I'm sure you'll find out. They are foreign companies, though, so they might not be as quick to jump on trendy American bandwagons like gay rights and environmentalism.

[/quote]

Really curious: Without violating any forum rules, could you describe what an "obscene" Ford ad might be? The mind boggles.

[quote="Tarpeian_Rock, post:8, topic:217865"]
Really curious: Without violating any forum rules, could you describe what an "obscene" Ford ad might be? The mind boggles.

[/quote]

They made a parking brake look like a certain organ and said Ford was "excited" to sponsor an upcoming gay pride parade, the implication being they were sexually excited.
And to the other posters, when I say gay rights I mean specifically gay marriage "rights" and promoting the homosexual lifestyle as healthy, good, and normal. I do not mean at all that gays should be descriminated against. My own brother is gay and I wouldn't want him to be denied a job for being gay, but at the same time I don't want society enabling his behaviors that at 20 years old have already caused him significant health issues. I have seen the gay lifestyle up close through him, and there is nothing positive about it.

[quote="Dawg2010, post:1, topic:217865"]
Ive got a question. I'm getting ready to buy a brand new car or truck and I was looking at Ford because they have always had good trucks. But I had someone tell me that as a good Catholic I should never buy a Ford because they support things that are bad. How do I find out what Ford Honda and Nissan and others support?

I never worried about it before now because I always bought use cars and trucks. And buying used the money just supports the used car dealer.

[/quote]

If you patronize a store or retailer and buy a product or service that is not itself immoral, you are in no way responsible for what they do with the profits.

There is no reason, from a moral standpoint, not to buy a Ford or any other brand car or truck.

If you personally **want **to boycott Ford, you can do so. But then you need to write a letter to Ford and let them know that when considering buying a vehicle you consider not only the vehicle itself but also the company's corporate giving history. Based on their corporate giving and advertising choices, you have chosen to buy a different brand.

Boycotting can be effective, but you have to let the company know about it.

It would be nearly **impossible **to boycott every company that uses the profits it makes to in part support a charity or cause that a Catholic might find morally problematic. And the Church does not require you to do so.

[quote="1ke, post:10, topic:217865"]
If you patronize a store or retailer and buy a product or service that is not itself immoral, you are in no way responsible for what they do with the profits.

There is no reason, from a moral standpoint, not to buy a Ford or any other brand car or truck.

If you personally **want **to boycott Ford, you can do so. But then you need to write a letter to Ford and let them know that when considering buying a vehicle you consider not only the vehicle itself but also the company's corporate giving history. Based on their corporate giving and advertising choices, you have chosen to buy a different brand.

Boycotting can be effective, but you have to let the company know about it.

It would be nearly **impossible **to boycott every company that uses the profits it makes to in part support a charity or cause that a Catholic might find morally problematic. And the Church does not require you to do so.

[/quote]

I'm glad you posted that. Because I looked on google and I think most if not all the car companies support that stuff.

What if I buy a car thats a few years old (used). Then wouldnt my money just support the used car dealer/bank?

And on it goes… how do you know what the used car dealer or bank doesn’t support anything immoral? Good chance they do…

Car companies support whatever they think will make them money, and that’s it. Some may pander to the gay rights community as they view it as a way to market towards a particular demographic. In the end Ford, Honda, Nissan, and Toyota support the idea of making money by selling a product and they could frankly care less whom the purchaser is and what they believe. So in short they support profits for the shareholders and will do anything within the law to increase said profits.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.