What do the promises to the Church mean?

In the Bible, Jesus promised to remain with the Church and preserve the Church in truth. What does this mean? The current teaching is that this refers to the infallibility of dogmatic propositions taught by the Magisterium.

However, there is a serious problem with regarding theological propositions as infallible. Human language is a limited medium of communication. There are always many possible ways of interpreting a propositions. Also, no single proposition can perfectly express an idea. Furthermore, can we really say that human propositions can express the revelation of God, who by his very definition, is beyond expression?

An alternative interpretation of the promises is that they refere to the indestructability of the Church in its pilgrim journey in Truth. Though the bishops and Pope may err at times, the Church continues to survive and renew itself in the Gospel message. What do you think of this?

Hi, my view :-

Christ Jesus is Love itself, where there is love, He is present. The Church is the people of God, people of Faith, and in being faithful to the Lord, and carrying out his commandment of love, in whichever way, we are ensuring his continuous presence in our lives. The Eucharist is the most powerful symbol of his continued presence in the church, an act done in remembrance of Him each time a mass is being celebrated.

Regards
MarieLee
marieleespiritual,blogspot.com

I think you’re making a mountain out of a molehill. With that said, do you not think that God would guide us to express HIS wishes through whatever medium he chooses. For one thing, have you evidence that human communication is lacking as you say? It seems to have done pretty good at splitting the atom and getting us to the moon. The different interpretations you refer to are not because of the medium but because of an individuals different beliefs. Your last sentence attests to that fact when you suggest an alternative interpretation. You do this not because you have trouble understanding the language but because you have a different belief.

I just don’t think a linguistic proposition is capable of expressing any idea perfectly. The philosopher Wittgenstein demonstrated this. I have no doubt that God does guide us in the medium he chooses, but I question whether dogmatic proposition constitute that medium. It seems absurd to think that they would be. Especially considering the fact that ecumenical councils have contradicted each other and corrected each other so many times in history.

I just don’t think a linguistic proposition is capable of expressing any idea perfectly. The philosopher Wittgenstein demonstrated this. **I have no doubt that God does guide us in the medium he chooses, but I question whether dogmatic proposition constitute that medium. **It seems absurd to think that they would be. Especially considering the fact that ecumenical councils have contradicted each other and corrected each other so many times in history.

I never did put much belief in philosophy, it muddies up the waters. I am not familiar with Wittgenstein or what he has demonstrated but consider your statement above that I put in bold. You have no doubt that God guides us, BUT you question his method. Is that a yes and no? Also you forget that God is not controlling our actions as if we are puppets, he only guides us to the right conclusion. How we get there is by our human actions which does involve debates, corrections and even contradications but we get there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.