What do we all have in common?

In the threads we have talk about the difference between Catholic and Protestants.

Now I like to discuss, what Catholics & Protestants have in common in the following;

1. Moral issues; abortion, euthanasia, embryonic stem cell, cloning, death penalty, homosexual acts,

2. Theological Beliefs: Trinity, Jesus Christ, Salvation, etc.

my signature :thumbsup:

Hi,

I believe among conservative protestants all the moral issues would be the same. :smiley:

With exception maybe of the death penalty. There is much biblical support for the death penalty. Of course it has to be done through the judicial system.

As Catholics are wont to point out, it can be difficult generalizing about Protestant positions on any particular issue.

Still, taking a shot at it, I’d say that most conservative Protestants are against abortion and euthanasia. I’d guess that many are split on embryonic stem cell research (although, as you probably might know, recent developments regarding the ability to gather cells from amnionic fluid might moot this issue). Cloning? Who knows. Death penalty? Most conservative Protestants would be in support of the death penalty, most liberal Protestants would be against. Homosexual acts? Same as the death penalty.

As for theology, the vast majority of Protestants have the same understanding of the Trinity as do Catholics. We all love Jesus, although we obviously differ from you with respect to the exact nature of the Bride of Christ. Salvation? We generally have different beliefs from Catholics.

If you take any two faithful Catholics, you know right off the bat which articles of faith they MUST share in common.

Can you really do the same if you take any two faithful Protestants, even ones who are under the same denomination? It seems all Protestant sects I know of leave so much of their core beliefs up to personal interpretation…

What do we all have in common?

1.) God

and

2.) the ability to debate our religious points of view until the threads get shut down :smiley:

I think the OP meant, what do we have common as beliefs.

LOL:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Can you really do the same if you take any two faithful Protestants, even ones who are under the same denomination? It seems all Protestant sects I know of leave so much of their core beliefs up to personal interpretation…

Hi,
Well so far every protestant I have met here I agree with:thumbsup: All of the protestants I personally know agree with doctrine. Morals is another matter but even the catholics dont all agree on that.:wink: I am more conservative about morals then my protestant friends at home, well except the people in my church.:thumbsup:

Do you belong to a smaller church? Our church is fairly unified on doctrine and where we stand on issues, like abortion and capital punishment and contraception. We have a congregation of about 300, children included, since we are in a small town. It makes it easier to unify everyone when you don’t have that many people trying to corrupt the church with their personal opinions. :thumbsup:

Hi,
Well so far every protestant I have met here I agree with:thumbsup: All of the protestants I personally know agree with doctrine. Morals is another matter but even the catholics dont all agree on that.:wink: I am more conservative about morals then my protestant friends at home, well except the people in my church.:thumbsup:

Well, as far as I have read, every Catholic is, well, universal in their agreement on the Cycle of Redemption, the Seven Sacraments, and what the CCC teaches from the Magisterium.

As for those pesky Protestants, I see they are still protesting and splintering into different sub-sub-sub-denominations (think Moonies and Davidians). Still, the 19th century American influence (the Rapture, myths about the Church: remember how America was warned that if Kennedy was elected, the Pope was going to control America?) remains strong in most non-denominational churches and every now and then someone blurts out the old ‘apostasy’ canard.

Still, most of the posters are good God-fearers (see St Paul on this one!) and still in need of our prayers and works.

The Moonies and Davidians are cults, not Protestants. As for your statement about Kennedy, I also thought such a viewpoint was bigoted bunk. Then I read the Syllabus of Errors and, I am ashamed to say, I don’t know what to think at this time.

Hi,
My church isnt too much bigger then yours. Maybe by 200 including children. We seem to be growing every Sunday. We must be doing something right:thumbsup: I meet someone new every Sunday.:smiley: I am one of those people who like sto know everyone and the larger the church the more difficult. Maybe that is why God gave me the head of a ministry so I could gradually meet everyone.:smiley:

Well, as far as I have read, every Catholic is, well, universal in their agreement on the Cycle of Redemption, the Seven Sacraments, and what the CCC teaches from the Magisterium.

As for those pesky Protestants, I see they are still protesting and splintering into different sub-sub-sub-denominations (think Moonies and Davidians). Still, the 19th century American influence (the Rapture, myths about the Church: remember how America was warned that if Kennedy was elected, the Pope was going to control America?) remains strong in most non-denominational churches and every now and then someone blurts out the old ‘apostasy’ canard.

Still, most of the posters are good God-fearers (see St Paul on this one!) and still in need of our prayers and works.

Hi Jonathon,

Doesnt the CC teach that we are to Love everyone? Im not feelin the Love from you.:frowning: I have to tell you from a protestant point of view you do absolutely nothing for me in regards to wanting to convert to catholocism. :frowning: There are many catholics on this forum whom I would befriend(and have) in a minute because even though they dont agree with me, they treat me with respect and love.:thumbsup:

"As for those pesky Protestants, I see they are still protesting and splintering into different sub-sub-sub-denominations … "

Tolerance please.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.