What do you consider a "modest" skirt hemline?

Unlined linen? :eek: That will be see-through as soon as you go into the sun!

No bright line test. The overall effect determines whether any outfit is modest or immodest.

A year ago I was at a weekday mass and noticed a woman in her late 20’s or early 30’s. She was very devout, with a chapel veil and wearing a high-necked, floor-length dress with long sleeves. That sounds as if it would be well beyond the threshold of modesty. But the weave of the fabric was so sheer and clung so tightly to her that onlookers were left with absolutely no doubt of how she appeared nude. Every detail of her breasts, navel, groin, and rear were clear as day. Nothing was left to the imagination. She was a very devout young woman and I’m certain it was NOT her intent to appear in such revealing attire. Had she known, I’m sure she would have been aghast.

The morale of this example is that, when evaluating the modesty of an outfit, the whole and not the particular is what matters.

Sounds about right to me.

Linen comes in different weights. If you notice, the linen (and linen-blend) pants and crop-pants in the casual section of the store are a heavier weight than most linen blouses and are unlined. They are also cut differently than linen suits, which are lined due to the cut being more fitted to the body. Here’s a simple classification of some linen taken from this website (stonemountainfabric.com/linen.htm)::slight_smile:

1. Handkerchief-weight - lightest linen with the most drape. It is good for lightweight items and summer dresses that require a nice drape.
  2. Dress-weight - Medium weight linen, good for shirts, pants, and skirts.
  3. Suit-weight - Heaviest weight linen, good for jackets.

I did say “airy” in my recommendation to the woman who posted, meaning that any garment should be loosely fit to help keep a person comfortable in a hot climate. Lightweight linen may be a bit see-thru, but no more so than a cotton blouse.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.