What do you consider a reverent novus ordo mass?

I’ve hear all the time that the novus ordo mass is usually celebrated irreverently. So my question is what do you consider a reverent novus ordo mass? I am really interested in the Latin mass but sadly I’ve never been to one.

[quote="Bayoubeefmaster, post:1, topic:318644"]
I've hear all the time that the novus ordo mass is usually celebrated irreverently. So my question is what do you consider a reverent novus ordo mass? I am really interested in the Latin mass but sadly I've never been to one.

[/quote]

reverence begins in one's heart. It shouldn't matter which approved rite one attends. Don't listen to those that say NO Mass is not reverent. It is just an opinion and a condescending one at that.

I've hear all the time that the novus ordo mass is usually celebrated irreverently. So my question is what do you consider a reverent novus ordo mass? I am really interested in the Latin mass but sadly I've never been to one.

[/quote]

I think the average Mass celebrated at my neighborhood parish is reverent. Mostly vernacular, sometimes a Latin Agnus Dei and/or a Greek Kyrie, no altar rail, ad populum, usually simple hymns from a range of time periods accompanied by an organ or piano, a mix of reception on the tongue and in the hand, some dressed up people, some wearing jeans, some old, some young, many hold hands during the Our Father, some don't. The people are, for the most part, quiet and respectful. I don't think I've ever seen anyone immodestly dressed. I've always found these Masses reverent.

This, for instance.

Or this: youtube.com/watch?v=sdWZWDqhCdA

One that does this. dioceseofmarquette.org/UserFiles/Bishop/PastoralLetter-RejoiceInTheLordAlways.pdf Though to be fair, you can have reverent Masses that don’t follow all of those guidelines, even if they are representative of the preferences of the Church in many ways.

There are, thankfully, many examples of beautiful and reverent Masses in the Ordinary Form taking place all the time. Unfortunately, they are not as wide spread as one would prefer, but they can and do happen. When I am fortunate enough to attend one, I find it to be more edifying than the EF of the Mass personally, based on my own experience at both.

I wish there were some Masses online from St. Gregory’s Abbey in OK. They do a wonderful job with the liturgy. It is so nice and so edifying in fact, that my wife and I are going there for the Easter Triduum so that we can immerse ourselves in Holy Week.

The ones I attend and have attended all my life are/have been reverent… What you hear is untrue and disparaging the OF is wrong and repeating it is against forum rules.
Welcome to CAF.

Not to diss other diocese's But I would say that every mass i've been too in the diocese I live in (Lincoln NE), and almost all of them in the diocese I went to college in (Archdiocese of Omaha) have been reverent. The least reverent one I went too was a life teen mass, and that was only because of the music (I hate the drums at mass, and while I like CCM music, i don't know if I like it in mass) The rest of the mass was actually reverent and even used bits of latin. Kind of shocked after hearing the CAF horror stories about LifeTeen. It wasn't THAT bad.

:smiley: I was going to post it, but then I thought a natural objection would be: “wow, wait a minute, that’s the Pope celebrating Mass in the Vatican…you sure don’t expect that level of perfection to be attained in my humble little Parish, do you?” :wink:

Of course, we can expect and in fact do expect it anyways :wink:

MODERATOR NOTE

Pitting one form of the mass against the other is not allowed on this site. This is a Catholic site, faithful to the Holy See. Whatever is approved by the Holy See is respected here.

[/quote]

BÃ*i vi?t hay l?m c?m on b?n nhi?u mình s? tìm hi?u thêm

A Tridentine Mass™ in Vernacular :smiley:

[quote="jwinch2, post:6, topic:318644"]
One that does this. dioceseofmarquette.org/UserFiles/Bishop/PastoralLetter-RejoiceInTheLordAlways.pdf Though to be fair, you can have reverent Masses that don't follow all of those guidelines, even if they are representative of the preferences of the Church in many ways.

There are, thankfully, many examples of beautiful and reverent Masses in the Ordinary Form taking place all the time. Unfortunately, they are not as wide spread as one would prefer, but they can and do happen. When I am fortunate enough to attend one, I find it to be more edifying than the EF of the Mass personally, based on my own experience at both.

I wish there were some Masses online from St. Gregory's Abbey in OK. They do a wonderful job with the liturgy. It is so nice and so edifying in fact, that my wife and I are going there for the Easter Triduum so that we can immerse ourselves in Holy Week.

[/quote]

[quote="Hasire, post:12, topic:318644"]
A Tridentine Mass™ in Vernacular :D

[/quote]

An OF Mass in Latin ;)

I guess it's pretty hard to beat our abbey: Gregorian propers and ordinary in Latin/Greek, and the rest (including readings) chanted in French. Incense, silence after readings, the works (no incense at weekdays unless it's a feast, but still in Gregorian chant). OF.

But, the starting point IMHO, is do the red, say the black, and include lots of silence. It doesn't matter if it's a sung or recited Mass, IMHO. I've been to some beautiful recited OF Masses at 7 am at St. Joseph's Oratory in Montreal. A handful of mostly regulars, and a very, very peaceful atmosphere.

[/quote]

Certainly Mass is sometimes celebrated irreverently, but not "usually." :(

The Masses at my parish and surrounding parishes are all very reverent. The are celebrated according to the rubrics by priests who have a great love for Our Lord and want to share that with their parishioners.

Of the things most usually complained about here at CAF we don't greet people before Mass, hold hands across the aisles at the Our Father (although some families do hold hands), wave across the church or leave our pews during the Sign of Peace, have a band or sing rock, pop, or P&W music, finallywhile we do have EMHCs there are not more than maybe 4 at any Sunday Mass and we don't have any elaborate rituals for them to receive.

In over 20 years I have never seen any of those things at Masses around here (or anywhere else I've attended Mass across the states and in other countries). The one thing that I do see is soemthing other than an organ or piano used for music, but I always assume that is based on the talent or equipment available in any particular parish.

I absolutely love our priests and pastor (and the bishop regularly moves parochial vicars) and have never attended a Mass I felt I had to walk out of or that raised my blood pressure.

[/quote]

The Ordinary Form of the Mass most certainly is celebrated reverently on most occasions.

The problem is that you don't often hear about it. Most people don't come on here and post "Well, we had our usual reverent Mass this morning." People only remark on what they don't like -- and many times, even that turns out to be a matter of personal preference, not an actual liturgical abuse (witness the many many threads about CITH vs. COTT).

EWTN's daily Mass is what I would think of as the perfect NO mass more or less.

I wish the Church would establish a strict rubric for the NO mass.

I'm lucky that I have a local church that does a quite relevant NO mass (although there are some things that I don't like), but not all churches are the same.

[quote="GangGreen, post:17, topic:318644"]
EWTN's daily Mass is what I would think of as the perfect NO mass more or less.

I wish the Church would establish a strict rubric for the NO mass.

[/quote]

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=746280

The Vatican is actually in the process of preparing a guide to help priests celebrate Mass correctly. Contrary to what seems to be the popular opinion on this thread, this is likely not because the majority of Masses are done so darn well. Please understand, that this is not inherent to the OF of the Mass. As I note in the thread linked above, the laity in the parish are often the hardest to convince regarding how Mass is supposed to be celebrated. Many times, the priests, who are good and faithful men, wish to implement change, but find themselves swimming upstream against the preferences of the liturgy committee, pastoral council, etc.

Regardless, take a look at the thread above, and I think you will see what I mean.

Also, I agree with you that EWTN does a lovely Mass.

Peace of Christ,

[quote="robwar, post:2, topic:318644"]
Don't listen to those that say NO Mass is not reverent. It is just an opinion and a condescending one at that.

[/quote]

[quote="severus68, post:7, topic:318644"]
The ones I attend and have attended all my life are/have been reverent.. What you hear is untrue and disparaging the OF is wrong and repeating it is against forum rules.

[/quote]

Where does anyone disparaged the OF in this thread or say that the NO Mass is not reverent in itself? People have said that if is often celebrated irreverently, which does not remotely imply that the OF itself is wrong or irreverent. The fact of the matter is that this is unfortunately true, as can be witnessed by our previous Holy Father Pope Benedict's statements on the liturgical implementation of the reforms of Vatican II and by the fact that the Vatican felt the need to put out a document to help priests celebrate Mass correctly. Blessed Pope John Paul II himself noted this also in Vicesimus Quintus Annus.

Even the OP said that he hears that the OF is celebrated irreverently, which again is not the same thing as saying that the OF itself is irreverent.

I have personally noted my preference for a well done OF Mass over the EF of the Mass hundreds of times here on CAF. I find it to be far more edifying when it is done well. I am happy to hear of so many people on this thread who are fortunate enough to attend a parish where this is a regularity. Unfortunately, that is not the case for me, and many others, though I dearly wish it were.

[quote="agnes_therese, post:16, topic:318644"]
The Ordinary Form of the Mass most certainly is celebrated reverently on most occasions.

The problem is that you don't often hear about it. Most people don't come on here and post "Well, we had our usual reverent Mass this morning." People only remark on what they don't like -- and many times, even that turns out to be a matter of personal preference, not an actual liturgical abuse (witness the many many threads about CITH vs. COTT).

[/quote]

Thank you. Its the bad masses that get the attention. What's going ot get more attention. A reverent OF mass, or an irreverent OF clown mass, or puppet mass or what have you

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.