What do you consider tolerance?

There are alot of different oppinions on what tolerance is.What do you think it is?God Bless and looking foward to your response:)

I consider tolerance, if I am understanding your question, as the freedom to sin even when they accept their actions as being such. I will not interfere with dissident groups in their behavior as long as I am allowed to freely state my beliefs as well. I find tolerance is lacking on both sides these days. I am not comfortable with this ongoing battle. I seek love and find it only in Christ, my God.

In its proper meaing and context, tolerance is the capacity to love and accept a person as a special creation of God Almighty, regardless of their beliefs, actions, or ideals. In its current context, it means that all beliefs, actions, and ideals are equally valid and acceptable. In modern times, tolerance can be easily defined as “Truth is relative”.

I view tolerance as a big fat lie. We are not called to “tolerate” one another, but to love unconditionally. Jesus never preached tolerance. Jesus preached love, TOLERANCE IS NOT LOVE.

We are told to tolerate certain peoples differing views or lifestyles, why should we? Why would we tolerate the actions of a sinner who is unwilling to change & better themselves?

Tolerance is the same as indifference as I see it & indifference as well as stubborness & ignorance are the 3 ingredience of sin. Sin begets death.

Then continue to love. I am not comfortable with Christians who say they hate, and I mean actually using the word. This was my first reaction after 911 to the terrorists. Fortunately I was corrected by the Blessed Mother through the words of a fellow Legionary of Mary.

[quote=Scott_Lafrance]In its proper meaing and context, tolerance is the capacity to love and accept a person as a special creation of God Almighty, regardless of their beliefs, actions, or ideals. In its current context, it means that all beliefs, actions, and ideals are equally valid and acceptable. In modern times, tolerance can be easily defined as “Truth is relative”.
[/quote]

Tolerance is not agape love as Jesus preached, “love one another as I have loved you”. Tolerance can be compared to philios love, which is not any different then putting up with your brother just because he’s your brother. That’s not real love.

Tolerance is taught by the world. Anything that comes from this world does not come from God, for the prince of this world is satan.

Tolerance can be a slippery slope. I don’t remember the exact quote or to whom it was attributed, but it goes something like this: What one generation tolerates, the next one embraces. To see the wisdom of these words, just think back twenty, thirty, or forty years, then look at the world today. Scary, isn’t it?

[quote=goofyjim]Then continue to love. I am not comfortable with Christians who say they hate, and I mean actually using the word. This was my first reaction after 911 to the terrorists. Fortunately I was corrected by the Blessed Mother through the words of a fellow Legionary of Mary.
[/quote]

St. Paul tells us to hate waht is evil & hold on to what comes from God. Hating a person is not what Jesus taught us, but he also did not teach us to accept a persons sins & ignore them.

I hear a lot of “love the sinner, hate the sin”, but this does not mean overlook the sin & accept the sinner for his sins.

I have family members that I will have nothing to do with because they live lives of sin. Jesus told us to have nothing to do with a person that causes division, so if we tolerate someone & others do not there is a division because of the person being “tolerated”. Persons unwilling to leave a life of sin & tell us to tolerate them are being used by the evil one to cause division. WE CAN NOT TOLERATE SIN, not in ourselves & not in others. We must strive to change & be more christ-like, or else all of Christianity is a waste of time.

My correction. I should have said I have heard the words of hate directed at the person. I myself have often said I hate sinful behavior. My sincere apologies. Just goes to show that even in our Christian efforts we must guard our tongues.

[quote=Dj Roy Albert]Tolerance is not agape love as Jesus preached, “love one another as I have loved you”. Tolerance can be compared to philios love, which is not any different then putting up with your brother just because he’s your brother. That’s not real love.
[/quote]

Ohhh, so you mean tolerate, kind of exactly what I said. Love doesn’t mean fuzzy wuzzy feelings. Love “agape” love, also known as charity, can be defined in 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, “Love is patient, love is kind; it is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist in its own way;it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes in all things, and endures all things.” Love is how we treat other people, not how we feel about them.

[quote=DJ Roy Albert]Tolerance is taught by the world. Anything that comes from this world does not come from God, for the prince of this world is satan.
[/quote]

I agree, this version of tolerance is a tool of Satan, but Christian love towards our fellow man is a tool of the Almighty.

Our Priest spoke on this very issue this morning in his homily. He said to sit back and watch people sin in the name of tolerance was a sin in itself. That are responsibility as Christians is to point out when a person is doing something that will condem their soul. If what they are doing is a sin, Tell Them. And pray for them, but don’t tolerate it.

[quote=Dj Roy Albert]I view tolerance as a big fat lie. We are not called to “tolerate” one another, but to love unconditionally. Jesus never preached tolerance. Jesus preached love, TOLERANCE IS NOT LOVE.

[/quote]

I agree, tolerance is putting up with something you don’t like because you can’t change it, have no control over the circumstances, or no influence over those doing the things you are forced to put up with.

tolerance is one of those PC words like “compromise” that sounds good and reasonable but actually stands for: there is no truth except my version of the truth, you make up your own truth. That is the path to insanity for the individual and chaos for the society.

I agree with the posts here.It seems to me that tolerance is nothing more and nothing less than the attempt to convince people there is no sin,and we should embrace and accept any type of behavior.That to me is not loving at all,we have a short life here, and live forever ultimately in one of two places,heaven or hell.So why would it be tolerant or loving to accept behavior that could lead to damnation,in fact it sounds more hateful than tolerant.God Bless

[quote=goofyjim]I consider tolerance, if I am understanding your question, as the freedom to sin even when they accept their actions as being such. I will not interfere with dissident groups in their behavior as long as I am allowed to freely state my beliefs as well. I find tolerance is lacking on both sides these days. I am not comfortable with this ongoing battle. I seek love and find it only in Christ, my God.
[/quote]

Your view seems pretty reasonable. Shame it isn’t more popular.

[quote=midwest mom]Our Priest spoke on this very issue this morning in his homily. He said to sit back and watch people sin in the name of tolerance was a sin in itself. That are responsibility as Christians is to point out when a person is doing something that will condem their soul. If what they are doing is a sin, Tell Them. And pray for them, but don’t tolerate it.
[/quote]

Wow, your pastor said that?? I would faint if any of mine said anything so forthright.

Tolerance in our Anglo-American history has meant that Protestants and Catholics coexist without one or the other being banned from holding public office or censored or whatever. It was a legal settlement after all the wars and revolution in England. Finally everyone got so sick of the strife that they slowly agreed to let Catholics lived their lives although they were deprived of equal rights until fairly recently.

So to me that’s what tolerance was all about, simply a political arrangement. It’s not loving everyone or accepting everyone’s behavior and always saying nice things and not expressing your views and suppressing criticism by others and all that other mush that the culture expects us us today. Culturally I think we have every right and obligation to state our opinion and fight (politically) for our causes as long as we are nonviolent.

I think what many people consider intolerance is really just indifference, so wrapped up in their own lives and ignorant of where the country has been and where it is headed that they just don’t care, or actually enjoy all the decadence. There are people who actually get off on destruction and chaos. They’re called nihilists.

To turn the other cheek (without turning into a punching bag).

[quote=midwest mom]Our Priest spoke on this very issue this morning in his homily. He said to sit back and watch people sin in the name of tolerance was a sin in itself. That are responsibility as Christians is to point out when a person is doing something that will condem their soul. If what they are doing is a sin, Tell Them. And pray for them, but don’t tolerate it.
[/quote]

The fact of the matter is, if we fulfilled this obligation, we’d have no time for anything else.

i.e. If I visited every Catholic that I knew missed Mass on Sunday, I wouldn’t be finished by the following Sunday.

Add a few of other most popular “grave” violations it would be more then a fulltime job. It is simply impractical and impossible.

I dislike the word tolerance in a racial or equality sense, because it implies that there is something negative that needs to be overlooked.

Lisa,

Here is what I believe about Tolerance: bible.org/page.asp?page_id=2452

I think that you may like it.

Michael

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.