What do you do if there's no tabernacle?

The place I attend doesn’t have a tabernacle in the building. Should I still genuflect or simply bow towards the altar?

If Christ isn’t present in the Eucharist, I don’t think that genuflection is required. A bow towards the altar is all that is necessary. Where does your church keep the consecrated hosts?

Off in a little prayer chapel in a different building. Mass is held on campus in the chapel, but it’s a school building rather than one belonging to the parish. Hence the lack of a tabernacle on location.

If the Blessed Sacrament isn’t present you simply bow to the altar. Genuflection is reserved for the Blessed Sacrament and, on Good Friday, the Cross.

I was going to suggest finding a different church until I read your follow-up. :smiley:

:thumbsup: What Phemie said. :slight_smile:

:thumbsup: What Joe said. :slight_smile:

I remember my old pastor questioning me on Good Friday one year when I was much younger. I genuflected as I normally did, and he asked “Why are you genuflecting? Jesus is not there.” The cross was still there, but it was covered by a drape.

Ah, but when it’s covered by a drape, before the unveiling, it’s to be considered absent.

The only reason to cover it with a drape is that it can’t be physically removed.

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.