What do you do when someone physically tries to take the blessed sacrament from you?

Wait, so you, before a ceremony in an anti-Catholic church, brought Communion from the Catholic church? And after the Baptism, you wanted them to leave whatever they were doing so you could give one of the children Communion.

Sorry, but this doesn’t sound so innocent. This sounds like a power struggle.

It sounds like everyone needs to sit down and decide what is happening in your children’s religious life. If you are taking Communion to the oldest, he has already been Baptized. So he shouldn’t have been baptized again. And you seem less concerned about your younger children being baptized into an anti-Catholic religion, than you are about someone not wanting you to introduce Communion (Catholic Communion) into a ceremony. Maybe its just me, but I couldn’t imagine taking Communion to someone at another church, especially an anti-Catholic church. :shrug:

Does your divorce decree have any information about which religion the children will be raised in?

I would not have brought the Eucharist into a non Catholic Church especially one that is anti catholic You probably should have waited until you were home and even though they are not anti communion their communion is only symbolic not the real presence and being that your son is Catholic he should not even be receiving communion at the prostestant church. And I totally agree with the poster who said that you should guarantee your privacy the next time you bring a recipient communion.

You have just described behavior unbecoming an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion. EMHCs are commissioned to take the Eucharist safely and swiftly to the hospitals and homes of the sick and homebound in order to reverently administer it there. Was your son too sick to attend Mass? If so, he should’ve been at home, and not at a non-Catholic ecclesial community. If not, he should be receiving communion during the Mass.

I highly doubt you had permission from your Catholic parish to do exactly what you did. If I were you I would go directly to your own Catholic pastor, and explain exactly what happened, and follow his guidance. We have been led to wild speculation by your information-free original post and I don’t appreciate the tenor of this thread. You seem to have family issues that transcend that which can be solved here in the forums. I will keep you in my prayers.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing.

Actually - if they were only just baptized - and in a non-Catholic Church - they are not Catholic. Christian - yes … but Non-denominational … That is - unless they were baptized as infants and this is a ‘re-baptism’ … Which still places them in an ambiguous state. What kind of Catholic catechesis are they receiving from your home parish - First Holy Communion is only offered after months of catechesis. In my experience - no parish priest would give you permission to take the Eucharist and essentially perform a First Holy Communion for a child newly baptized in a non Catholic faith tradition - even if that tradition would look favorably upon Catholics … if your parish priest did so - you did not adequately describe the true situation.

Sadly, it appears you used our Lord as a weapon to create division between you, your children, your ex and his new wife - and another faith Community - and one which was an anti-Catholic environment … :confused: one can only wonder why and what you hoped to accomplish … certainly not to position yourself as the parent with the children’s best interest at heart and a degree of maturity.

I don’t mean to sound harsh - but you really need to step back and seriously ask and answer the hard questions about why you embarked on this doomed adventure with such a precious Gift - the very Body of our Lord? … In love - and charity at times we all need to step back and do an honest review of our lives … I do … its hard but worth it … :thumbsup:

And if what you say is true about the treatment of the children - call the Child Abuse Hot Line and let the experts assist the children and determine the best place for them … binding children with rubber bands at night - etc is child abuse - … you should turn them in.

Your interfering in their Church service was not the answer

I am also wondering why you are not referring to it as the precious body of Christ anyway you should not have brought Catholic Communion into a protestant church especially one that has an anti catholic enviroment,Too much chance of it being desecrated.and besides The Eucharist needs to stay in the Catholic Church where it belongs Oh I see that you did refer to it as the body of Christ But still you should not have brought it into an protestant church which is also anti catholic for the same reason that I stated before

Then you have misjudged the situation because it was innocent. The children after their baptism were to leave the sermon and go to Sunday school… on their way out (I spoke with them before hand to let them know) they could come give me a hug goodby and I would give them communion.

You inferred a lot there in suggesting that I wanted them to leave whatever they were doing … and you were wrong. You had no reason to infer such things from me…perhaps what you suggest is what you would do but not me and I don’t appreciate you insinuating less of me.

Blessings,
Tiffany

1. There are more than one name for the Holy communion or body of Christ or Eucharist
  2. You should read the post from the beginning so I don’t have to re tell why I was there in the first place
  3. This church is not anti-catholic I spoke to the pastor before hand and he was very kind in his words towards Catholics and even said they are not antiCatholic…he went on to commend many things the Catholic church does and reiterated that they have no problems with the Catholic church. After the incident I spoke with the pastor and he was very apologetic.
  4. I had no reason to believe that anyone would react negatively.

You are inferring and are incorrect. The were already baptized Catholic and are Catholic. Even the father participated in the Catholic vows to raise the children Catholic at their baptism.

You inferring that I used the lord as a weapon is SAD because it is so wrong a gross under-sight of my heart and love for the lord. Insulting even and I don’t appreciate being accused falsely…it is a commandment not to accuse falsely.

I spoke to the father about the rubber bands and although he did not admit it but just stated the definition of punishment he did in fact stop. I will consider making a report anyways for reasons beyond the point of this thread.

I highly doubt you had permission from your Catholic parish to do exactly what you did. If I were you I would go directly to your own Catholic pastor, and explain exactly what happened, and follow his guidance. We have been led to wild speculation by your information-free original post and I don’t appreciate the tenor of this thread. You seem to have family issues that transcend that which can be solved here in the forums. I will keep you in my prayers.

Then how did I get the pyx if I did not have permission? I had permission and that is a fact. This was the first time I had ever gone to give anyone communion outside of the church and I asked that same day that I went if I could and I was given a pyx and host. I did not lie about what I was doing either so please don’t accuse me falsely anymore. If I was improperly trained that is not my fault and it is something that I will seek guidance on. I would give you the name of the person at church to speak with if you don’t believe me but I would rather keep her name anonymous so as to not be disrespectful…I have spoken with two of the pastors at our church about this.

I love my husband and his new wife and her children and I don’t appreciate being accused that my heart is not in the right place by anyone on this forum…Judge not less ye be judged.

Blessings,
Tiffany

If I misjudged the situation, don’t you think it is possible that others did the same? Like their step mother?

Also, why were they being Baptized? You have said that they had already been Baptized, Catholic.

You inferred a lot there in suggesting that I wanted them to leave whatever they were doing … and you were wrong. You had no reason to infer such things from me…perhaps what you suggest is what you would do but not me and I don’t appreciate you insinuating less of me.

Blessings,
Tiffany

It would probably be better if you simply respond to the questions and comments, rather than attack the poster. Your tone sounds very much like a child that says, “That’s what you are, but what am I.”

No, I would not have handled the situation in that manner. I would have never tried to do what you did. It is disrespectful to their church and ours. It is confusing to the children. And most people here aren’t sure why you would do such a thing.

You say that you had permission. Did your pastor know that you were taking it to the children’s Baptism? That, after their Baptism, you were going to administer Communion? That it would happen at their church? Not a Catholic church?

EMHCs do not bring the Eucharist to non-Catholic ecclesial community houses of worship. EMHCs bring the Eucharist to the sick in homes and hospitals. How could your pastor/parish possibly have authorized your trip? You have not answered our questions: was your son SICK?

tifischer, ultimately it is between you and God as to why you did this thing but if a good conscience examination does suggest you were exercising a control tactic, you may need to right this with God in Reconciliation. Putting the Blessed sacrament in such a position of danger and scandal is serious and not good example to your kids or any non Catholics who are now hearing from their father what you did. As you can see from our replies, it is very hard to believe this had pure motives.

I don’t believe she thought she was putting the blessed sacrament in any kind of difficult situation. She said she loved the step mother and didn’t foresee any of this.

But it would have been good to plan this differently if possible. I say possible because I’m not sure of just what all the circumstances around this are and makes it difficult to know “shoulda”, “woulda”, “coulda”.

May God our Father give you grace and peace.

Thank you fred , I appreciate your consideration for my good heart in this. And for anyone to accuse me of any less is not the spirit of kindness. For anyone to accuse me of purposefully putting the host in danger is wrong…and would be false accusation and insensitive to the situation. I am a good Christian woman and it is wrong for anyone to suggest otherwise, especially publicly.

I have already said the reason for my bringing my son communion was not because he was sick but because he was not able to do to custody arrangements on that weekend. I absolutely had permission to do this and otherwise I would NOT have been given the pyx…and would NOT have been able to because I do not have a pyx of my own…the church lent it to me for this purpose on this day.

For I will say again that I truly never thought anyone would react so unkindly especially in a church and I had spoken with the non-denomination pastor of the church before and after the fact. Before hand he spoke very kindly of Catholics and after the fact he was apologetic that this had happened. Not me, our Church, or their church suggested that anything bad would come of us.

Blessings,
Tiffany

Elizium23 please read the personal message that I sent you regarding this topic.

Tiffany,
I have no doubt that you believed you were doing the right thing. I don’t question your good intentions. That being said, I believe what you did was seriously wrong and I encourage you to speak directly with your priest, leaving out no details, as soon as possible. The Eucharist is the most precious gift we can receive this side of heaven, and HE (Our Lord Jesus), must be treated with the utmost care and respect, and most importantly, always in accordance with Church law, for it is to the Church that Christ has entrusted His precious body. These are the issues I and some of the other posters have with the situation:

1. A child who is being raised outside of the Church in a Protestant community, even if it is through no fault of his own, should not be receiving communion. Holy communion is reserved for those who are practicing the Catholic faith. Your son may not have a choice in the matter, but if he is being baptized in a Protestant community, why is he receiving Catholic communion? The Catholic faith is a holistic whole. We can’t just take bits and pieces.

2. It is not appropriate to bring Holy Communion to a Protestant church, or another other non-Catholic house of worship.

1. I said in this thread that I already did speak with two priests about what happened
  2. Again, I already said in this thread that my children are Catholic and my oldest son is able to receive communion
  3. Then you should tell the church that

Both priests have agreed that your son may be baptized in a Protestant community, attend Protestant services, be raised according to the Protestant faith, and yet continue to receive Catholic communion brought to a Protestant church?

Fred, ultimately a person has to square their behaviours with God in conscience examination, but earlier in the thread the OP revealed the real nature of their situation…

The attorney to ask what my rights are and what I can do such that the step mother will not take our religious possessions from us and be destructive (physically) to our religious beliefs. I am also concerned that the ex wants to go back to court to try to take the children away from me again. The step mom also has occasional spoken disparaging (very unreasonably) toward me in front of my children…I would like that to stop. It is called alienation to speak disparagingly about another parent to the child…like calling them names. My ex has also been repeatedly inappropriate in calling me names and making harassing false accusations against me in email. He has also discipline the children inappropriately (wrapping a rubber-band around a 3 yr olds legs at night and popping him with the rubber-band to the point of fear of rubber-bands cause he didn’t eat all his peas at dinner is inappropriate and caused him irrational fear of rubber-bands).

In such notoriously tense situations as custody disputes and new wives, there is little love lost. To attend a Protestant initiation ceremony in a Protestant Church for your Catholic children arranged by an ex and stepmother in this environment… is so obviously not one to be taking Catholic communion into the midst of. It is inherently antagonistic to do such a thing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.