What do you do when two prayers contradict each other?

My mother has a prayer book, in it there are two prayers that contradict each other. 1) The 15 St. Bridget Prayers, 2) A True Letter of Our Savior Jesus Christ. Here are the links to them: marypages.com/BrigittaEnglish.htm catholictradition.org/Christ/true-letter.htm
They clearly contradict each other, which one do you believe? In the St Bridget prayers, Jesus says he received 5475 blows (my book says 5480). In the “True Letter” the number of blows add up to far more than 5475. So which one do you trust in? Both say you will be punished for not believing in them. What do you do? What about the shroud of Turin? I saw a documentary that cemented my faith that it is real, but they counted the wounds, and I do not recall the number but it was far, far less than 4000. Can all three be true? Will God forgive you for just choosing one to trust in, or will you be punished as the “True Letter” says? Opinions please…

Divine revelation ended with the death of the last apostle. What you are reading came from private revelation, which we are not required to believe.

Believe what the Catholic Church officially teaches, and you will be on safe ground. Knowing the exact number of wounds Jesus had is not necessary to our salvation. Just be grateful that He did suffer and die for us.

Thank you for your answer, it does clarify things. Does that mean the Divine Mercy chaplet is a private revelation?

The Divine Mercy Chaplet is a prayer that was revealed to Saint Faustina in a private revelation. It is a wonderful prayer, and we are encouraged to pray it, but it is not required (unlike the Mass, which all Catholics are required to participate in).

That tells you everything you need to know about them: the people who dreamed up these frauds have to sink to threatening people.

What do you do?

Nothing printable. :slight_smile:

What about the shroud of Turin? I saw a documentary that cemented my faith that it is real, but they counted the wounds, and I do not recall the number but it was far, far less than 4000. Can all three be true? Will God forgive you for just choosing one to trust in, or will you be punished as the “True Letter” says?

Don’t put your trust in the ravings of con-artists. There is nothing to forgive. Read something useful & approved instead. The Shroud may or may not be genuine: it does not matter much, either way. Don’t waste your time getting tied in knots worrying about these (very unimportant) things; they simply aren’t worth it. Other things matter a great deal, & drivel like these things takes our attention away from those things; which is one of the the worst effects of this drivel.

Opinions please…

I would ignore the lot of them, on principle. Anything that has to go so far as to call itself a “True Letter”, is self-condemned as utter bilge. If you have a copy, do something useful with it, like using it to line a rabbit-hutch or a cat-basket. Because that is all that it is good for.

Thank you for the answer. I think you are right, you just can’t believe everything. Haha, I’ll take this as a sign you are right: I have a rabbit, and cats too! Just curious, what is a “gutted” Catholic? I think you’d call me a “cafeteria” Catholic. Also, what do you think of the Divine Mercy and Faustina’s visions? I also hate when people use fear or lies to gain your belief.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.