What do you do when you're given two Communion hosts?

Two Sundays ago, I received two Communion hosts from our lay minister. (I think he accidentally dropped two on my open palm.) I was confused at first, and offered back the extra Communion host. But he shook his head then proceeded to serve the next person in line. At first I thought, “Wow, I get two!” but in the end I gave the extra one to my boyfriend.

I’m wondering if I did something wrong there by just handing the Lord over to my boyfriend without ceremony or proper respect. Should I have said “Body of Christ” before handing the host over? I also would like to know what I should do if I’m lucky enough to experience this again?

The EMHC should have taken the extra Communion host that you tried to return to him. If he didn’t want to offer it to another communicant, presumably because you had handled it, then he should have set it aside for a proper disposal after Communion. Under no circumstances should he have allowed you to leave with an extra consecrated host, since he could not have had any idea what you would do with it.

[quote=Glenda_Maye]I’m wondering if I did something wrong there by just handing the Lord over to my boyfriend without ceremony or proper respect. Should I have said, “Body of Christ” before handing the host over? I also would like to know what I should do if I’m lucky enough to experience this again?
[/quote]

Since the EMHC refused to take back the extra host, you could have either insisted on giving the EMHC the extra host, or if he continued to refuse, immediately consumed both. Since presumably you are not an EMHC yourself, you should not have given the extra host to your boyfriend. As to the future, I recommend two things. One, report what happened to the parish’s pastor. The EMHCs in the parish obviously need remedial training. And, two, if this happens again in the manner you report, don’t allow yourself to be brushed off by a shake of the head from the EMHC. Say politely but firmly, “Sir, you gave me an extra host by mistake. Please take it, so it may be taken care of appropriately after Communion.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.