What Do You Love About the Ordinary Form of Mass?

I agree completely. I (and others I assume) just get sick of the attitude that the OF is somehow “inferior” to the EF.

Each form has its own pros and cons (for lack of better terminology).

:amen::amen::amen:

Yes, Brendan. I do like having more scriptural readings, including both an O.T. and N.T. reading on Sundays,

The Mass is a communal celebration.
The Mass, previous to Vatican II has not always been celebrated with the priest’s back to the congregation. I found it interesting as I read History of Catholic Tradition by the Monks of St. Meinrand about the increase in religious vocations during the Middle Ages that led to an increase in private Masses. As another poster stated, the priest has his eyes on heaven. In the process, what the rest of us see is his back.

Over the last few days I have reflected on why having the priest face me during the Consecration is so important, why I feel “drawn into the mystery” as I celebrate the OF.
We are presented with Christ’s invitation to the Apostles, “Take and eat. This is my body which is given up for you.” The invitation is not only to the Apostles. It is to each one of us. The Mass is celebrated outside of time. Christ’s sacrifice was/is not just for the Apostles, for his priests. It is for each and every one of us. I am reminded of this sacrifice for our sins. I am invited to “Take and eat,” as the priest extends this invitation to each of us.

The OP asked us to share our experience. One that I like to share is a time when I saw the head of Christ crucified as the host was being consecrated. This “miracle” could easily be explained by how the light streaming through the church windows struck the Host just right or even my own imagination. Nevertheless, the deacon thought it important enough to share with the celebrant.

I love the Eucharistic Prayer 1 in Latin, with everyone (Polish, Spanish, Italian, Vietnamese) praying together.

I love that the OF is often concelebrated.

Me too, that’s very cool. Such an improvement over having priests celebrating Masses at side altars WHILE the “main” Mass was going on…

One thing I LOVE about the OF are the 46 (forty-six!) individual Masses for the Blessed Virgin Mary (and their optional readings) that are recommended for Saturday mornings in the USA.

Most “traditionalists” I know have no idea this wonderful gift even exists. Heck, most Catholics (period) that I know have no idea about this truly wonderful gift. If your parish doesn’t have the supplemental Sacramentary and Lectionary consider purchasing it for them – possibly AFTER the update :wink:

For me, as a Charismatic, I love that we can now be open to the charismatic gifts of the Holy Spirit during the Mass. (No I don’t mean speaking in tongues…)

And of course… the real presence! What’s not to love? Anyone who says the OF lacks majesty, is the real presence of our Lord and Savior not majestic enough?! Is the sublime sacrifice of our Lord not majestic enough?!

I love being able to see the priest say mass and the devotion which he has towards Jesus. I also like the fact that the mass now involves the participation of the people, who are no longer just passive spectators, but participants in the liturgy. I love the mass in the vernacular because it makes God less far off, less scary and impersonal then does the Latin liturgy in the EF. There was a time when I went to the EF and it just disturbed me how cold and distant I felt both from the actions of the priest and from my fellow parishioners.

I’m happy to say that most OF masses I’ve been to in my life have been done reverantly and not any (over the top anyway) abuses ever took place before my eyes. True, I wish they would come up with better music then some of those sappy Marty Haughin hymns, but I trust that this will eventually come to pass soon.

During Eastertide, all the way up to Pentecost, our pastor celebrated daily and Sunday masses with the rite of sprinkling at the entrance of the Church where our large holy water font is positioned. He said a special prayer, and as we all sang the Gloria, he walked through the aisles and blessed us with holy water. Then he incensed the ambo prior to the reading the gospel and a little later, incensed the altar before beginning the Eucharistic Prayer. During the invocation for the Prayers of the Faithful, the organist played softly and in response to each petition, we sang the triple Alleluia fromThe Strife is O’er. Awesome! He helped us to really celebrate that we are an Easter people!

I enjoy the fact that many liturgies now have the option for a baptism during mass, which I had never seen when I was growing up in the old rite. It really helps the congregation in many ways to appreciate their own baptism and renew their promises.

Saturday night, I was blessed to attend the baptism of my great grandson (that’s telling my age! :D) and the rite in the vernacular enabled not only the parents and godparents to appreciate the symbolism and clearly understand what was taking place, but it was an occasion for the noncatholic friends of the family to listen and ask questions afterwards. A great opportunity for evangelization! Our rite is so much richer than the altar call and immersion type that other faiths experience.

One noncatholic asked me why do we not have bibles in our pews. I was able to point out the beautiful uniformity - that whether we live in Alaska, Peru, Austrailia, or any corner of the world, all Catholics hear the same scriptures, and I showed him the readings in our worship aid. Whereas, protestants rely on the bible alone for their services, and the minister may select any reading that inspires him at the moment. We never have to worry that when we go out of state, we will be unable to follow the mass in a different Catholic church.

I also appreciate the communal gatherings for healing of the sick who are able to receive the sacrament. This was never done in my earlier years, other than privately as a last rite near death. Thereto, the vernacular as the anointing is administered, really adds to one’s understanding of the Church’s sacraments.

Me too!
Thank you for this reminder. We have concelebration always at the Priory I frequently go to for daily Mass, and most Sundays at my ECC where it was always the norm, so I can sometimes forget this.

Just a reminder that this is true for the OF you are referring to. But since not all Catholics “in any corner of the world” are celebrating the Roman Rite OF the others (EF, ECC OCC etc., ) will have different readings, which themselves are uniform internationally within the Rite being celebrated by any given Church but not the same as the ABC cycle readings. :slight_smile: The rest of that paragraph holds true for all Catholic Churches, the readings are set, not chosen by the priest or deacon.

Hi 5Loaves,

Yes, I realized that, but since the title of the thread pertained only to the Ordinary Form, I confined my remarks to that liturgy alone. No doubt the clarification is helpful, though. Thanks.

Good points. Not to mention that different translations can bring about some subtle differences of understanding of those scriptures as well. I can say this being bilingual but even examinations of the various English Bibles would demonstrate my point.

Try this one on for size. I feel strongly both ways. As a senior Catholic (chronologically), I have experienced at length both the Latin and vernacular forms of the Mass. It’s obvious to me that persons converting to the Catholic faith can more easily understand the Mass when it’s in the language they speak.

What might be less obvious is how the loss of the Mass in Latin seems to have made the Church less universal. Way back when all Masses were in Latin, I lived in London. During my stay there, I took several trips to various European cities. In Madrid and Rome, the Masses were in Latin and it was like being at home. Then along came Vatican II. A week or two later, when I visited Athens, the Mass was literally Greek to me. I felt as though I might as well not have attended.

Solution to the conundrum? I don’t have one. I still feel very strongly both ways.

Indeed. It was always easy to recognize a Catholic Mass because of the Latin. I recently attended a Vietnamese wedding thinking it was Catholic, then was embarrassed later to find out it was a Baptist service. At least some Latin should be in all Latin Rite liturgies.

As you say, the vernacular is good for conversions. But as far as being part of the liturgy, I’ll have to go with Vatican II’s strong recommendations on retaining the Latin and Pope John XXIII’s effective ban on the vernacular in Veterum Sapientia.

I love that the OF Mass is in the vernacular. As a native speaker of two languages, I even actually prefer one language over another even though I am already a native speaker of both. Its just me, I feel more at ease with English prayers than Filipino prayers. Even scripture readings, it makes more sense to me while I’m listening if its in English than Filipino. Weird, eh?

Thank you SO much, OP, for this thread, and thank you, moderator, for keeping the thread on track. It has been so uplifting to read positive responses about the OF instead of the ongoing OF/EF wars where the OF is often insulted and denigrated.

I grew up with the Latin Mass and loved its solemnity and mystery and the very real sense of the presence of God. With 16 years of Catholic education I learned quite a bit of Latin and always knew and understood the liturgies, but I greatly prefer the OF because of all the reasons posted in this thread.

It’s amazing to hear in the vernacular the Canon’s powerful and majectic prayers, to sing/say the Lamb of God, to acknowledge with “Amen” the “Body of Christ, Blood of Christ” at Communion. I personally love the psalms, whether recited or sung, and the communal recitation of the Lord’s Prayer.

I love much of the contemporary music that has been written and sung the past 40 years, especially when trained musicians are involved. I suspect that some of the discontent about the OF Mass has been due to amateur, volunteer musicians (including me, mea culpa) – there are some Mass times I avoid now because of that situation. If you consider, however, how difficult it was to get Catholics to SING at Mass (soon after the OF change was made), we’ve all come a long way in that effort.

I would NEVER want to revert to the Latin Mass, but it is wonderful to attend OF Masses where serious music is still sung (Notre Dame de Paris, St. Dominic’s, San Francisco, etc.).

Thanks again for an inspirational, positive thread. Bless you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.