What do you love the most about the United States of America?

What do you love the most about the United States of America??? :slight_smile:

The freedom to think, worship, work and live as I choose.

[quote=thestickman]The freedom to think, worship, work and live as I choose.
[/quote]

In short, my thoughts exactly.

that even a ghost can speak his mind… :thumbsup:

http://www.psychics.co.uk/images/ghostscom.jpg

without the fear of loosing his…

http://www.knightsedge.com/medieval-weapons/medieval-guillotine-4800.jpg

That it is stalwartly resisting the Euroweenification of the globe.

Scorr

I chose freedom to worship, our founding fathers started us off beautifully, I can only imagine how they must be weeping over how our present goverment is messing it up.Linda H.

It was really hard to choose,I do like all the answers. In the end I decided on the one that is the most unique, in my experience, to the US. I don’t think any country comes close to our innovation and creativity.

Why wasn’t there an option for All of the above, because that is what I choose.

That it’s not like France! :smiley:

All the above! But, for today, that I am allowed to pursue my vocation to medicine.

I like the fact that the U.S is a giant melting pot. I like the diversity and different cultures. Also, that my great grandparents came here to get a better life. They did.

I voted for the religious freedom we so enjoy…but would have voted all of the above if that were an option.:thumbsup:

[quote=Annunciata]I voted for the religious freedom we so enjoy…but would have voted all of the above if that were an option.:thumbsup:
[/quote]

I would have voted all of the above also…

:thumbsup:

Voted “Other.” I love everything about the US, whatever is left of the more gentle USA I used to know. But no kidding, I love the attitude of most people, their openess, their generosity, friendliness and courtesy in businesses and in general, patience, tolerance, too many things to mention. I love the sense of adventure that can be encountered with the start of each day, at every turn you take, on a street, highway, freeway. Wide open spaces, this is what I absolutely love. The wide variety of homestyles, the way people decorate their homes, keep their yards and gardens, the music (before it died), the exhiliration of the joyous ways Christmas used to be celebrated till secularism and the ACLU stole Christmas, Thanksgiving. So many restaurants with so many different cuisines or just good homecooking. Love the entrepreneural spirit, last but not least, this forum - only in America!

I’ll get to leave soon.

[quote=ICXCNIKA]I’ll get to leave soon.
[/quote]

:confused:
Annunciata:)

JMJ_Pinoy: Any Frenchmen who may be on this board could find your comment offensive and derogatory.

I have no love for America, nor for any other earthly state. My citizenship is in heaven. I am an alien here, as the Apostle said.

(Please note that this is hyperbole to make a point…I don’t want any “Die anti-American! Die!” flames).

Please ignore my last post. My comment was unnecessary in this context…I apologize.

The origin of “Religious Freedom” was in Transylvania:

Finally, in 1568, the Transylvanian diet itself declared universal and complete freedom of worship, stating that, since faith was a divine gift born of hearing the Gospel, no obstacle could be put in the way of preaching it.

Transylvania, the united principality of three nations,7 soon became also the land of four established churches — Catholic, Lutheran, Calvinist, and Unitarian, and thus the most tolerant state of its time in Europe. Such freedom was a beacon to the people of royal Hungary. Its borders open to refugees, Transylvania became a haven for Protestant preachers. To it they fled when persecuted by the agents of the Habsburg Counter-Reformation, and from it they returned to royal Hungary reinspired by the Transylvanian concept of freedom of conscience.

There was a profound difference between religious freedom in Transylvania and in western Europe. In the West, the idea of religious freedom was determined by the Treaty of Augsburg of 1555 and refined

by the Treaty of Westphalia of 1648. Their provisions did not amount to much more than that a sovereign had the assured privilege of deciding his state’s official religion (cuius regio eius religio), and that those who confessed religions other than their monarch’s might emigrate elsewhere rather than risk being burned at the stake. The Anglo-French Treaty of Utrecht of 1713 went a step further by stipulating that France was to free Protestants imprisoned solely for religious reasons, but the treaty was rather exceptional. International treaties in western Europe usually specified the rights of religious minorities only when the confession of the inhabitants of ceded territories differed from that of the annexing power. The Treaty of Oliva between Sweden and Poland in 1660, for instance, guaranteed the religious freedom of the Catholic inhabitants of Livonia after its cession to Sweden by Poland and of those of Pomerania after its cession to Sweden by Brandenburg. The Treaty of Nijmegen of 1678, by which Louis XIV of France restored Maastricht to the Netherlands, preserved the religious freedom of the city’s Catholics. Catholics’ rights were one of the provisions of the Treaty of Ryswick of 1697. Catholic religious freedom was again guaranteed when Prussia annexed Silesia from Austria as a result of the Wars of Austrian Succession (1740–48) and in the Prussian acquisitions at the first partition of Poland in 1772. No international treaties in western Europe, however, guaranteed the religious freedom of individuals, and this was the essential point of distinction between Transylvania and western Europe. The Transylvanian concept and practice of freedom of conscience secured the rights of individuals both in Transylvania and, by international treaty, elsewhere in Hungary. **This was far in advance of western European theory or reality. **

hungaria.org/print.php?hirid=41&messageid=45

The great Transylvanian diplomat to the Ottoman Empire, Tamás Borsos, a lifelong secret Sabbatarian, best illustrates the genuine multi-cultural and multi-religious spirit of this land. The long title of his short Memoirs, speaks for it: “…the life-long wanderings … of Borsos Tamás, as, in his state of affliction, remembered in the 5573. year after Creation, in the 1614. year of Jesus Christ, in the 1025. year of the prophet Mahomed.”[10] Borsos’ comprehensive religious perspective is not only of a true Transylvanian but also of a Sabbatarian. His ideal is freedom of conscience, his story is of continuous persecution. Because of his secret religious affiliation, we learn priceless lessons about Transylvania’s laws and practices toward the Jews. The tolerant Prince, Gábor Bethlen, issued a charter welcoming and guaranteeing free religious practice to Jews who wished to settle in Transylvania. If they arrived from countries where they had been forced to convert, in Transylvania they were allowed to return to Judaism or to join other denominations. Some articles of the charter provide that Jews

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.