What Do You Make Of Electronic Voice Phenomena? (EVP)

Does anyone believe in this?

I’ve read and heard examples on the internet about this phenomena, and it seems very real to me. And I don’t truly believe it to be demon’s because some of the examples are recognised relatives who have passed saying stuff like “Hi” or “This Is (insert name)” or letting you know that they are watching over you and this doesn’t sound like a demonic spirit at all.

And I read in the AAA forum that the voices cannot possibly be spirits because spirits don’t have voices. And could possibly be demons…

What do you guys make of this?

my own theory on ghosts:

if a soul is in heaven: he/she dont want to come back.

if is in hell: they cant get out.

so…answer maybe demons. maybe not, maybe mind playing tricks

There was not an option for more than one of the choices. My whole theory on ghosts and EVP is as such: it is very possible for God to allow the souls of our loved ones to return from beyond if he feels it would help us on this side. It is also possible that sometimes ghosts may be purgatorial souls. Padre Pio once saw a ghost priest cleaning an altar. He asked him what he was doing and the priest said, “I didn’t clean the altar thoroughly when i was alive, so now part of my purgatory must be spent making amends thusly.” Or something like that. I think in most cases, however, the voices or apparitions are demonic. At the end of White Noise (anyone see that movie? Michael Keaton is BACK!), they threw out a statistic that, like 12% of Electronic Voice messages are overtly threatening. That’s overtly. I think when they aren’t threatening, they could be deceptions meant to take people away from the faith. The devil has many tricks. These things have to be judged on an individual basis. What is the end result of the encounter? Is your faith shaken or strengthened? If it is your dead mother giving you hope for the after life it may be real. I would run for a priest with anything weird like that. And for the love of God, do not set out to listen to the voices of the dead. That’s just asking for trouble. :eek:

I’m a somewhat-avid ghost enthusiaist and I’m still somewhat leery about EVP. Yes, I can “hear” the voices on those recordings, but many times, I’ve been lead to believe it (either by a written or vocal description of the voice.) I feel that if there is such a way to hear ghosts or spirits, you won’t need to try and decipher background noises in order to hear them. :cool:

I would NEVER try anything like EVP… Ghosts creep me out period, I’m curious about all of it, but if I ever saw one I would be tramatized for the rest of my life I bet. Ghost’s just scare the heck out of me, always have and likely always will.

the subject of ghosts and spirits on earth has always intrigued me in some weird way i guess… Thats why “White Noise” seemed appealing to me so much, and then finding out that EVP could very well be real got me interested even more.

But to tell you the truth I have thought of it being somewhat decieving because it made me doubt the bible, reason being is that what I have learned about catholicism is that if you die in one mortal sin you automatically go to hell, and hearing about all these people being “contacted” through EVP made me think that some of those people had to have died in at least one mortal sin, or some likely didn’t believe in Jesus, and they are not in hell (to be blunt). And although I don’t know the state of someones soul, there has to be just one person who never had a sense of religion, lived a sinful life, and is supposedly happy when they are “Contacting” their loved ones. I don’t want to judge anyone but this does seem off to me. And this has tempted me into thinking blasphemous things about the bible so that really would be a genius way for the devil to decieve people into “spirituality” garbage and more and more away from the bible and catholicism.

I get confused and headaches over it but I don’t think it is a strong enough temptation to make me leave the church by any means.

Awhile back I was listening to EWTN and the topic of ghosts came up. The priest on the show basically said they could be real and that the Church does not teach for or against them. He said the common explanation, if they do exist, is that they are either demons or people that are currently in purgatory. He went on to say that those in purgatory may be making themselves seen to the living in an effort to encourage them to pray for them to help get them out of purgatory.

[quote=Steven87]Does anyone believe in this?

I’ve read and heard examples on the internet about this phenomena, and it seems very real to me. And I don’t truly believe it to be demon’s because some of the examples are recognised relatives who have passed saying stuff like “Hi” or “This Is (insert name)” or letting you know that they are watching over you and this doesn’t sound like a demonic spirit at all.

And I read in the AAA forum that the voices cannot possibly be spirits because spirits don’t have voices. And could possibly be demons…

What do you guys make of this?
[/quote]

When I was younger and living at home, my parents’ house was haunted. That got me interested in studying the occult and in attempting to make contact. As I studied the phenomenon, I personally saw it telekinetically manipulate an electric appliance – a lamp. (Which made me afraid that it can do things like launch an ICBM tipped with 10 MIRVs.) When I actually did attempt contact – the dumbest thing I had ever done because *it worked – *it turned out to be a demon which tried unsuccessfully to possess me. (I know this sounds radical and crazy, but believe me, it’s absolutely true.) By this means I discovered that demons can impact physical matter (if they are a strong enough of a presence in a particular locale), including electric devices.

I personally believe that the fantastically complex, impossible-to-replicate crop circles which are comprised of braided, unbroken crop stalks (crop circle imitators can’t leave behind braided, unbroken crop stalks; their imitations also have unbraided, broken stalks) are a product of the same demonic telekinesis…

lucypringle.co.uk/photos/2004/uk2004cf.jpg

So, I would not be surprised if the Electronic Voice Phenomenon is demonic.

As for EVP, ouiji boards, etc., if you seek a spirtual being, one will come. It may not be who you are expecting, and it may not be who you are expecting, appearing as someone you are.

If you seek, they will come.

I’ve never heard of EVP, and from reading these posts, I still have no idea what it is.

I do have a hearing deficit in my right ear that sometimes causes my brain to “hear” voice in ambient noise. When I hear those “voices,” I just write them off as being a peculiarity of my neural system.

DaveBj

[quote=DaveBj]I’ve never heard of EVP, and from reading these posts, I still have no idea what it is.

I do have a hearing deficit in my right ear that sometimes causes my brain to “hear” voice in ambient noise. When I hear those “voices,” I just write them off as being a peculiarity of my neural system.

DaveBj
[/quote]

I echo Dave here. Our brains job is to find patterns, and it will attempt to find patterns even where none exist. (think ink blot tests, we “see” things that aren’t actually there) The same with noise. Sometimes when the fan or other appliance is on, I hear something akin to voices. If I concentrate, I can make out “words” the same sort of disjointed, words that occur with EVP. My fish tank filter does a similar thing. But I don’t think the dead are speaking through it, I think my brain is selectively focusing on the sounds that it can interpret as meaningful.

One of the wonders and bugaboos of the complex mind is the way it can find symbolism in things. It is often a joy and delight, but it can also be just plain old noise.

cheddar

Steven87: Remember that just because a spirit claims to be the ghost of a deceased relative doesn’t mean that it is…it could always be a demon deceiving us to direct our focus away from Christ.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.