What do you say when protestants ask.....?

When protestants ask are you “saved”? What do you say?
Do protestants believe that if you are saved then you are guaranteed to go to heaven. Do they not believe in mortal sin?
I was wondering because my family is protestant and when they say they were saved on such and such a date, I don’t know how to respond to that?

Here’s a great article:

catholic.com/library/Assurance_of_Salvation.asp

I especially like the part at the end:

What To Say

“Are you saved?” asks the Fundamentalist. The Catholic should reply: “As the Bible says, I am already saved (Rom. 8:24, Eph. 2:5–8), but I’m also being saved (1 Cor. 1:8, 2 Cor. 2:15, Phil. 2:12), and I have the hope that I *will be *saved (Rom. 5:9–10, 1 Cor. 3:12–15). Like the apostle Paul I am working out my salvation in fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12), with hopeful confidence in the promises of Christ (Rom. 5:2, 2 Tim. 2:11–13).”

[quote=Gregory24]When protestants ask are you “saved”? What do you say?
Do protestants believe that if you are saved then you are guaranteed to go to heaven. Do they not believe in mortal sin?
I was wondering because my family is protestant and when they say they were saved on such and such a date, I don’t know how to respond to that?
[/quote]

Well, I was at a coffee shop once, and I said something about Christ, and some fundamentalist Baptist came up to me and said, “Are you saved?” I replied, “Sir, the Fifth Lateran Council proclaims ‘there is no salvation outside the Church,’ so therefore, you are the one who isn’t saved.”

Shut him up real quick.

I believe Joan of Arc said it well:

If I’m not in the state of grace, may it please God to put me there.
If I’m in the state of grace, may it please Glod to keep me there.

i havent been asked in a while but i would probably ask them, what do you have to do to be saved? and when they say you have to ask Jesus into your heart as your personal Lord and Savior…I would say oh ok, then yes i am saved according to your beliefs!

and if they are right then we actually would be saved whether we knew it or not!

where do they get that,
Why is it that they don’t believe you can fall out of grace?

I don’t want to bash protestants too much, because they are still our christian brothers and sisters. But have you ever tried to explain the Catholic side to them, and it’s like they just say, what they believe. Even if they are from say the Methodist Church they don’t say, well the Methodist Churc teaches differently It seems that they just interpret the scriptures however they want to. And they act as if Catholics are making stuff up. When the Catholic church has been teaching some of the same things for 2000 years.

**Faith is not just a belief, its also an action on our part as Christians, its how we define real fatih in Christ by our actions and love for him.

Church, charity, communion, etc., the list goes on.

There is no question that God loves us and will never leave us, however we can walk away from our faith in Christ by free will which is a grace he gave us.**

Sara

One other thought on protestant Salvation…if they think they are saved, why wouldn’t they be up in Heaven???

**Saved meaning, they have Guranteed Salvation to enter into the Kingdom of God at death. Because they have faith in God and believe Christ died for their past, present and future sins.

They feel, Faith only( believe in God and ye shall be saved,) however they omit most of Gods other requirements and request for Salvation.

Not all Protestants profess the Once Saved always Saved Doctrine.

Most( Traditional) Lutherans, Episcopalien, etc, do believe one can lose their salvation.

Sara**

kayla:

One other thought on protestant Salvation…if they think they are saved, why wouldn’t they be up in Heaven???

When Protestants say they are saved, they mean they have accepted Christ’s sacrifice for their sins and, because of this, are now headed to Heaven. So, while they are not in Heaven yet, they have been saved from sin and will go to Heaven at the end of their earthly lives. Plus, many Protestants (though certainly not all) believe in “once saved, always saved,” meaning that once they have confessed with their mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believed in their heart that God raised Him from the dead (see Romans 10:9), they will go to Heaven no matter what sins they may commit later in life.

God Bless!

EDIT: Ah! Looks like someone beat me to it! :slight_smile:

I had a priest tell my youth group to tell people that we were saved 2000 years ago.

I told someone that I have been saved all my life, I was saved as an infant when I received the sacrament of Baptism. In Baptism, I died with Christ and was reborn in Him and I am able to participate in the salvation He promised.

On a funny note, my daughter went to a Baptist camp this summer. I forwarned her things that people might say bad about the Church, and what she could say in reply. When I picked her up she was so excited to tell me that no one bothered her about being Catholic, but that she had “accepted Jesus Christ as her personal savior”

I told her “He always was”
“Really?”
“Well, you eat His Body and drink his Blood every Sunday, what could be more personal than that?”

Using computer lingo I say…“I’m not only saved…but I’m backed up regularly.” That tends to lighten the conversation a bit and leads into the possibility that one can be saved and then lose their salvation.

[quote=StCsDavid]Using computer lingo I say…“I’m not only saved…but I’m backed up regularly.” That tends to lighten the conversation a bit and leads into the possibility that one can be saved and then lose their salvation.
[/quote]

I like your metaphoring, if in fact I may verb the noun “metaphor.”

[quote=AsStAnselmPrays]Well, I was at a coffee shop once, and I said something about Christ, and some fundamentalist Baptist came up to me and said, “Are you saved?” I replied, “Sir, the Fifth Lateran Council proclaims ‘there is no salvation outside the Church,’ so therefore, you are the one who isn’t saved.”

Shut him up real quick.
[/quote]

YOU ANIMAL, YOU DA MAN :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Point out that St Paul compares salvation to a “race” if he knew when and where he was saved, why he talks about running the race and about working his salvation in fear and trembling.

[quote=StCsDavid]Using computer lingo I say…“I’m not only saved…but I’m backed up regularly.” That tends to lighten the conversation a bit and leads into the possibility that one can be saved and then lose their salvation.
[/quote]

Love it!!! Thanks!

[/quote]

I say "Of course I am saved - I am a baptized member of the Catholic Church, confirmed in my faith and an obedient daughter of the Bride of Christ.

I don’t debate it with them - if they say “But not everyone who is Catholic is saved” I tell them that is not what our Catechism teaches and it is not what our Bible teaches.

You know, I don’t quite understand the idea of once saved, assured a place in heaven. I know that there have been some tracts written about this on Catholic Answers website that might be helpful to you - I simply emphasize that the Bible does not separate Faith from works and that while we cannot work our way into heaven we can’t simply faith our way in either. Afterall, Satan has faith in Jesus - otherwise he wouldn’t hate him so…

[quote=Arlene]I told someone that I have been saved all my life, I was saved as an infant when I received the sacrament of Baptism. In Baptism, I died with Christ and was reborn in Him and I am able to participate in the salvation He promised.

On a funny note, my daughter went to a Baptist camp this summer. I forwarned her things that people might say bad about the Church, and what she could say in reply. When I picked her up she was so excited to tell me that no one bothered her about being Catholic, but that she had “accepted Jesus Christ as her personal savior”

I told her “He always was”
“Really?”
“Well, you eat His Body and drink his Blood every Sunday, what could be more personal than that?”
[/quote]

You are a GOOD MOM - what is her reaction to going to Mass now?

Once again, (i might sorry of this use of the word), but what I don’t know what that means since not all p’s say that. That sound like its Baptist or Pentacostal or something. My parents would never ask that question.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.