What do you say when protestants ask.....?

[quote=AlanFromWichita]I like your metaphoring, if in fact I may verb the noun “metaphor.”
[/quote]

When you “verb a noun” you are making what is called a “gerund.”

0 Likes

[quote=ICXCNIKA]When you “verb a noun” you are making what is called a “gerund.”
[/quote]

Does that require adding the -ing on it? Those are the examples of gerund I remember.

I was actually more concerned about the word “verb” as in “verb a noun” than in the one where I’d adding -ing; I’m not sure that’s legal, but it’s done all the time. We parent. We calendar an appointment. We summer at the cabin. Do those have a different meaning?

Alan

0 Likes

[quote=AlanFromWichita]Does that require adding the -ing on it? Those are the examples of gerund I remember.

I was actually more concerned about the word “verb” as in “verb a noun” than in the one where I’d adding -ing; I’m not sure that’s legal, but it’s done all the time. We parent. We calendar an appointment. We summer at the cabin. Do those have a different meaning?

Alan
[/quote]

Definition of a gerund: google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&q=define:gerund

When you say “We summer at the cabin” you are simply using a noun, “summer” as a verb. This is perfectly legal. In fact it is always legal to do what is illigal as long as you can get away with it, from a Language point of view.

I have my students look at words in a sentence and see how they are being used to determine what part of speech they are.

So, “summer” is being used as an action, something you do, therefore it is a verb regardless of its traditional part of speech.

You have an essay due Monday.

0 Likes

This is what I really have a problem with them asking me if I’m saved.

I say yes, I’m saved and I’m Catholic I have Jesus in heart and soul and pray every day to him. Then they always start in how I worship Mary. I then tell them that because once you accept Jesus into your heart you are always saved; so if I’m wrong for praying to Mary then it wouldn’t matter because I’m already saved by their standards.

Then they told me I wasn’t saved because I didn’t accept Jesus as my savior and I explained to them that Jesus was my savior and he died on the cross for everyone’s sins and he is the Lord of my life.

The other thing I don’t understand is how some other Christians don’t want to live by the teachings of Jesus. Example: Corporal Works of Mercy. They say it’s a sin to do them. I don’t understand it, because Jesus said to do them. These people told me he didn’t mean it.

:slight_smile:

0 Likes

[quote=hilde the dog]Once again, (i might sorry of this use of the word), but what I don’t know what that means since not all p’s say that. That sound like its Baptist or Pentacostal or something. My parents would never ask that question.
[/quote]

I’m interested to know what denomination your parents are. I hear it most often from Wesleyans and Calvinists. If not all Protestants do say it, it is likely because they have invented their own phrase. Of the 33,000+, I will not reasonably assume that all do use the phrase. In the Bible Belt of the United States, it is not uncommon to hear these phrases used (dare I say “tossed around??”).

0 Likes

That’s a good response: never thought of that.

0 Likes

[quote=Gregory24]When protestants ask are you “saved”? What do you say?
Do protestants believe that if you are saved then you are guaranteed to go to heaven. Do they not believe in mortal sin?
I was wondering because my family is protestant and when they say they were saved on such and such a date, I don’t know how to respond to that?
[/quote]

Ask them to read Luke 18:9-14, and then ask them if the one who believed he was saved, was saved? And then ask them if the one who doubt his salvation was saved?

0 Likes

[quote=seashell]This is what I really have a problem with them asking me if I’m saved.

I say yes, I’m saved and I’m Catholic I have Jesus in heart and soul and pray every day to him. Then they always start in how I worship Mary. I then tell them that because once you accept Jesus into your heart you are always saved; so if I’m wrong for praying to Mary then it wouldn’t matter because I’m already saved by their standards.

Then they told me I wasn’t saved because I didn’t accept Jesus as my savior and I explained to them that Jesus was my savior and he died on the cross for everyone’s sins and he is the Lord of my life.

The other thing I don’t understand is how some other Christians don’t want to live by the teachings of Jesus. Example: Corporal Works of Mercy. They say it’s a sin to do them. I don’t understand it, because Jesus said to do them. These people told me he didn’t mean it.

[/quote]

0 Likes

[quote=seashell]This is what I really have a problem with them asking me if I’m saved.

[/quote]

A little confusion on what you are saying here about Mary. I have always been taught that we don’t pray to Mary so to speak or worship her, but we pray to her for her intervention. That is what I have always used as my answer to Protestants that say we shouldn’t worship Mary. Maybe I am wrong on this.

0 Likes

the word “pray” has different meanings, based on context.

For instance, people sometimes say something like, “What is that, pray tell?” To pray used to mean to ask, primarily. Nowdays many people understand the word to mean the equivalent of worship. Catholics use the word primarily to mean talking to someone in heaven.

0 Likes

closed #31
0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.