What do you think? A disagreement about BINGO

Hello all. I am curious about others' opinions on this:

My children attend Catholic school. In order to get a tuition discount, the parents can work at the parish BINGO nights, it comes out to about 8 or 9 times annually. I regularly work at BINGO. We save a lot of money that way!

Anyway, there is another mom at school who I sometimes talk to. She is insistent that BINGO is sinful, and she refuses to work at it. I told her that gambling is not a sin. I feel that gambling away money that you can not afford to and neglecting your family obligations in that way is certainly a sin. I would guess that most of our BINGO players are playing for fun and can afford it. as for the rest, it is not my business to wonder if everyone there is sinning or not.

She does not want to hear this, though. Which would be fine, except she complains that she doesn't get the tuition discount, and criticizes the principal and pastor, saying that she is being penalized for being a "contentious objector." It makes me nuts!! What would you say?

Wow. Sounds like she's brought this up a time or two and it's getting to be an old topic. Maybe suggest that if she has a problem working bingo nights because she feels that it's wrong, she should talk to the priest or principal to see if there's some other sort of volunteer work that could be done for a tuition discount. If there's something else, do that.

While I agree with you, I am not sure that it will be easy to change the mind of this person by words. Somewhere she got the idea that gambling is sinful and that may be a deeply felt personal belief. The best thing to do is to avoid her when she goes on anti-bingo rants and at other times show her by your actions that you are a true Christian. When she complains to you, you are probably best off simply stating that you don’t share her beliefs about BINGO and excuse yourself.

Does you school allow parents to volunteer at other activities to offset tuition? If so, you could simply suggest she help at those. If she doesn’t want to help at anything then she’s probably just a complainer.

[quote="SMHW, post:3, topic:184755"]

Does you school allow parents to volunteer at other activities to offset tuition? If so, you could simply suggest she help at those. If she doesn't want to help at anything then she's probably just a complainer.

[/quote]

Exactly... there are probably more ways to volunteer within Parish Activities...
I know at our Catholic School and Parish the volunteer opportunities are ENDLESS - in fact, we're REQUIRED to volunteer 35hrs per year to receive the lower tuition rate. It's not hard to find opportunities!

Getting a discount on tuition for helping in parish activities is WAAAAY different than getting penalized for not being involved. I can see why she could think that, but its a distorted view of fairness I think.

The baseline is the stated tuition. It doesn’t go up if you’re not involved, it just goes down if you are. I don’t know how else someone can explain this, it’s pretty clear. :slight_smile:

Good luck though!

This is an excellent analysis and advice.

If Bingo is sinful, then most elderly Catholic ladies I know are on their way to he** in a handbasket! :wink:

Maybe she should address the problem to the school administration (who COULD do something about it) than simply vent to another parent. Has she approached the principal and pastor and told them her views and offered to do something else to get a tuition break (clean classrooms or bathrooms, work other fundraisers, etc.)? If not, I get the feeling she’s just trying to get someone else to agree with her so she can say she’s not the only one who’s complaining and use that as leverage to get the break as well.

Perhaps the next time she approaches you, you should say, “You know, I really can’t do anything about this… maybe you should talk to FATHER or PRINCIPAL and offer to do something else instead of Bingo!” Then if she continues about the “evils of bingo”, you can say, “Well, if you feel that way, then you should go talk to FATHER and PRINCIPAL about letting you do something else.” Be a broken record–YOU can’t do anything, FATHER and PRINCIPAL can, she should complain to THEM! Just don’t bother to argue about Bingo=evil… her mind is set.

When all else fails, check the Catechism.

scborromeo.org/ccc/para/2413.htm

2413 Games of chance (card games, etc.) or wagers are not in themselves contrary to justice. They become morally unacceptable when they deprive someone of what is necessary to provide for his needs and those of others. The passion for gambling risks becoming an enslavement. Unfair wagers and cheating at games constitute grave matter, unless the damage inflicted is so slight that the one who suffers it cannot reasonably consider it significant.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.