What do you think about psychic children?

Is there such a thing as psychic children? I think about ds and how he often tells me about “baby Fatima” just out of the blue.

When we’ve gone to visit her at the cemetery I’ve caught him laughing and talking while looking up toward the sky:shrug:. The last time we were there I asked him who he was talking to and he told me “baby Fatima” and I just said “oh”. I can understand that when we go see her we’re talking about her and I tell him that we’re going to visit the baby. So I’m sort of “planting” things in his mind:o.

My astonishment is when we’re at home 3000 miles from the cemetery and he starts talking about her out of the blue. There have been times when he wakes up in the morning and the first thing out of his mouth is the baby’s name. I just find it interesting and wonder what it might mean.

I was watching something on A&E that was about psychic children and of course this went way beyond what my son does. I did find it intriguing and felt bad for those kids seeing, sensing and feeling spirits etc. Then one little girl had premonitions mostly of natural disasters…how horrible:( I would hate to be able to see the future!!!

Hi Lexee,

I can’t really comment on what your child sees or doesn’t see, but I believe the Church kind of frowns on communicating with the dead as dabbling in the occult. Perhaps your child just has a good imagination.

I’ve never heard of the “psychic children” thing before. Hope this helps.

Well, technically your little Fatima is a saint in her own right…:slight_smile: Maybe her short life was so pleasing to God that she is able to speak to your son in a very special way.

Oh…don’t get me wrong, I certainly didn’t mean to imply that ds is at all psychic:o. I had the opportunity to speak with Joan Wester Anderson, she’s an angel expert and she said that most likely what ds was seeing was his little sister. Since she is a little saint in heaven, she also told me that young children have this ability because they are so Innocent, there’s no veil for them yet.

I just brought up the subject because I’d been watching the show. I understand that the Church frowns upon these things…it still doesn’t explain why children have these abilities and most importantly what they’re suppose to do with them.

I fear the flames… but here is my experience… I believe children are psychic until they can communicate by talking… then they “forget” how to be psychic. The reason I think that is because of some of the things I have seen with my own eyes… When my ds1 was 6 mos old he was airlifted to Colorado to a hospital there to have some tests done. One night they admitted a child with a cleft lip that had just had surgery. When looking at the child you could not tell unless you looked really hard… but the child was obviously in pain… screaming his head off. DS1 was a very very happy baby… I picked him up to go over and introduce myself to the other mom and see why her ds was there… my ds and her ds locked eyes for a couple seconds and my ds grabbed his lip and let out a blood curdling wail… I knew he knew what that boy had just gone through! With ds2 (remember, he was a twin and his twin was stillborn) even after his twin died… he would always be reaching out trying to touch his twin in utero… After he was born he used to freak me out… I can’t explain it, but he didn’t act like a typical infant. He would look around in a kind of freaky way. It bugged me so much that I went to a child psychologist and asked her about it. She told me he knew he was a twin and he was looking for his twin… at 3 weeks old!!! As he got older he would have conversations with somebody who wasn’t there… and once I walked into his room and he was sitting at one end of the crib babbling to someone who wasn’t there then a toy at the other end of the crib moved across the crib by itself… OMG I totally freaked!!! This continued until he was almost 2. It even happened at my mom’s house 1000 miles from home. Mom gave him a toy to play with and he crawled away from it then it moved by itself over to him… I grabbed it just as my mom turned around so she wouldn’t freak… I was used to it by then. When he could talk I asked about who he was talking to and he said his sister’s name… which I never remember telling him, but I assumed ds1 may have. Ds2 has always talked to his twin… from the time he could talk until about 7 yrs old… after a truly horrid teacher in school told him that he wasn’t allowed to talk to or about her anymore… her and I had words!!! DD was totally different from the boys… she seemed more able to just read moods and feelings… she would cuddle when I was feeling my worst and she would touch my face with this look that just seemed like she knew I was sad or hurting or whatever. She developed many skills without being taught… like reading… nobody taught her, she just knew…

Of course over time the kids outgrew alot of this… now they are just typical kids. At least as normal as kids with me for a mom can be…

You raise two points here, the second, the TV program and the children involved, is something that is disturbing.

These children have been led into some dangerous waters by their parents in an attempt to practice/perfect clairvoyance. The CCC is very clear on teaching against these practices:

Divination and magic
2115 God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all unhealthy curiosity about it. Improvidence, however, can constitute a lack of responsibility.
2116 All forms of *divination *are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone. 2117 All practices of *magic *or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one’s service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. *Spiritism *often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another’s credulity.

When it comes to your sweet little man - kids do pick up on what we say. They do seem to be more aware of spiritual things than the rest of us jaded old timers :slight_smile:

If he seems to be confused, just remind him that his sister baby Fatima is with Jesus. Remind him that Angels are also with Jesus, and also here with us. Remind him that Angels are creatures who were created by God, and that they are not people. That his sister could not “turn into” an angel any more than he could turn into a puppy dog, but that she is with the Angels and praying for him ever single day.

(You would be shocked how every year in 5th grade CCD when we have the class on Angels, at least half of those children have been told that people turn into angels when they die.)

Big hugs!!!

I believe children are more sensitive to things b/c they do have that innocence about them and then when they grow up they lose it. I don’t understand why some children are given these gifts.

Some of you may not believe this, but take from it what you will. As a child I would always have dreams that would come true the next day. As I got older this went away. I’ve heard other family members of mine having the same experience. I have also seen different things on the history/discovery channel of children who could see spirits without their parents pushing them into the occult. Most of the time the children don’t realize that the beings they are talking to are spirits or that there is anything wrong with it. I have heard of stories of children talking to angels that appeared to them in times of crisis. I don’t see anything wrong or dangerous with this seeing as they aren’t asking about the future so it isn’t divination.

I’m not sure if anyone heard of this one or not but if you have please remind me who the guy is. I read about this man, who when a boy could see halos of different colors around people’s heads. If they were about to do something bad or they were evil in nature the halos were dark or black. If they were good people or trustworthy they were whitish. This boy grew up to be well known and I can’t for the life of me remember who he was. It was a loooong time ago.

If these things are so evil then why are children naturally born with these gifts since they are way more innocent than we as adults?

I’m willing to bet your son is communicating with his baby sister, or more correctly, she is communicating with him. The stuff the Church frowns on is people seeking out ways to communicate with people who have died, or angels, beyond just praying. If God wishes to give people visions of the future, or communicate with dead people, that’s in God’s hands. We have to be wary about inviting spirits to speak to us, because evil ones will sometimes answer. That’s the danger that the Church wants to protect us from, and that’s why forms of divination are wrong. Not to mention we’re supposed to trust in God.

Now my own story… I guess I was a really horrible kid until I was about 5yo. A Denis the Menace times 10. My mom says (I don’t remember this) that one day, I told her Jesus came to speak to me, and that he was sitting on the couch with me. And after that point, I was very well behaved. Also, I receive small visions of the future. Nothing very significant, and they’re like memories, so rather indistinct, but I can always tell when they come true. It’s not a feeling of deja vu, it’s: I’ve seen this before. I remember this happening already. Kinda neat, but kinda useless as well. :shrug:

**LOL, I have had the same sort of experiences, mostly back when I was a kid. I would know when a dream or “vision” was coming true in real life (down to the exact detail) but only as it was happening. What good is that? lol

It was a common thing as I was growing up to all of a sudden say “I dreamt this” and then just go on about my day:shrug:

Personally, I think kids are just very very intuitive. They are sensitive to changes in moods of people around them and just more “in tune” with themselves and others than adults are.

However, when I was a little girl I used to have very spiritual dreams, about our pastor being attacked by snakes and about lions. The one where our pastor was being attacked by snakes came at a time when our pastor was really struggling with things.

I stopped having these kinds of dreams when I was about 11 or 12. I haven’t had one since.

I am not really sure what I think about all this, other than to be careful and be steadfast in prayer.

When I was a child I had these types of dreams, too. They were always about everyday events and I never remembered the dreams until the events were occuring. Then I would know I had dreamed about it and I knew what was going to happen next. The dreams stopped when I was around 10 or so.

**This is so weird but cool. When it used to happen to me as a kid I was the only one. None of my friends experienced it… and yeah, it was always just regular everyday things. Even 20 years later I can still vividly recall walking around the schoolyard with our principle and a few other kids and just talking and realizing that it was exactly like the dream I had the night before, right down to the questions she asked us. **

My Grandma…A devout Catholic… Seems to think our family has a …er…psychic abilities.

I guess that’s the wrong way to put it. She believes we are somehow more sensitive to what’s going on around us. Perhaps God and the Angels are the root of this :shrug:

But my aunts (mostly Catholic), my grandmother, my mother (100% Catholic) and my cousins (Mostly Catholic, or going that way) on THAT side of the family only, have had certain things happen…

Even I have had things happen.

Mostly, its just dreams. But my little cousins will always know what my grandmother has in a paper bag she bring to their house. She’ll always bring the bag, but when it has something they want (without them seeing it) they’ll ask for EXACTLY what it is.
My grandma even said she tested it by bringing different things, nothing at all, etc.

Other stuff happens with the dreams and feelings. My mother and my grandmother both had dreams and feelings connected to one of our relatives (My great-aunt) and both got the impression that she finally got out of purgatory.

I’ve had strange and vivid dreams that I can remember every detail. One dream is a mystery to me, and the other seems to be on its way to coming true!

I don’t really know what to think about all this, but I know its in no way related to the occult. We have no charms or spellbooks or whatever.
It just happens:shrug:

I think a good point to make is that obviously psychic/spiritual experiences are real…otherwise the Church wouldn’t have to warn us about seeking them out. So there can obviously be connections to “spirits” (good or bad). And if we come by these connections through no will of our own and they are not evil in nature I would assume that they are from God, or at least not forbidden by God. Maybe psychic phenomenon are just part of our natures and some people can “tap into” them more easily than others. Much like some people can sing beautifully or paint amazing pictures. It may just be another God given gift/talent that we don’t understand… and it is up to us to not use them for harm etc.

OK, this is kind of a WEIRD situation, kind of off topic of the OP, although relates in some ways.

When my DS was a toddler about 2 to 2 1/2 yo, he had imaginary pets. They were Sharks in my parents living room. He had them for about a year.

Fast Forward about 15 years, and my nephew (at about 2 to 1/2 yo) was at my parents house and out of the blue started talking about Sharks in my parents living room!!! According to my sister he has NEVER talked about sharks before then.

Fast Foward 2 years, my niece at about age 2 to 2 1/2, again at my parents house is scared of the sharks in my parents living room!!!

Now my parents live in the Great Plains in the middle of the US in farming country, not a shark in sight, not even a shark toy.:shrug: We don’t really discuss these events until it comes up again, we forgot that my son did it until my nephew did and same with nephew and niece. So it is not like these kids are hearing about it.

Anyway, I just thought I would share. :slight_smile:

Weird… maybe since it is something that is scary a house blessing would be in order? Couldn’t hurt:shrug:

House has been blessed :smiley: And my step mom uses Holy Salt often.

The only one that thought it was scary was my neice, although she is scared of about everything!!! The boys “played” with them. Almost every day for 6 months, my son would have to “let them outside for the night” :shrug:

Wow, this thread has gotten very interesting:D!!! I love it!!! I think that what many of you have shared is what I’m talking about, I also have had dreams that come true…some many years later.

I’ll share a story, when I was in high school I kept having a reoccurring dream about a group of friends, all male, that were riding in a friend’s Blazer (the small kind), they all lived in a small town about 18 miles from my town (we shared the same high school). Anyway, I always saw them driving home and they had to go over an overpass, I-5 freeway runs under it, as they drove something always happened and the blazer would overturn and fall over the side of the overpass onto farmland below that’s right next to the freeway and they died.

After much consideration I decided to tell the guys to be careful because of the dream I had. They looked at me weird and thanked me, told me not to worry that they would be careful. I was so relieved to get it off my chest and I didn’t have that dream again. We all graduated that year and went our separate ways, a little over a year after we graduated I get a phone call that something terrible had happened:(.

Almost all the guys in my dream had been involved in a horrible fight and tragedy:(. Two of them had been stabbed with one not surviving and the other on the brink of death. I was away at college so I had to get all the details third and fourth hand, I was in shock and devastated:(, the one who didn’t make it had been a very close friend of mine since the 7th grade.

As it turned out this fight and stabbing took place at the same exact spot where, in my dreams, they would fall from the overpass:eek:. It took a few days for the shock to wear off before I was able to make the connection and it was because my best friend brought up the coincidence. My other friend recovered, but could never get over the guilt…the fight had been caused because of a fight he had with his so-called girlfriend. Then within two years he died in a car accident:(, total tragedy.

I don’t know what those dreams meant or what the purpose of them were…I couldn’t stop anything anyway. This is why I say I would hate to be clairvoyant, psychic or anything of the sort, I would see it more as a burden than a gift.

That’s why I wonder about why children are born with these abilities, if they aren’t conjuring up spirits and it comes naturally what are they suppose to do with it? This show I watched showed the parents scared to death…I don’t think any of them wanted their kids to be experiencing these things. Why would God give these children these abilities if He didn’t want them to use them for the good of mankind? Of course, always keeping in mind free will and all, not all of them will use it for His good.

ok after reading all of this I don’t feel so weird about posting about my dreams earlier. About the sharks

When I was little I was always terrified of my grandmother’s house…I wouldn’t go down the hallway by myself nor would I go to a different room by myself if it was empty. Just a creepy feeling I always got. Also, anytime I had a nightmare it took place at that house. Still does and I still get creepy feelings. I never told anyone except my friends about this b/c I didn’t want to hurt my grandmother’s or families’ feelings. The other day my grandmother told me that my little cousin of 9 was having the exact same trouble. Afraid to go in the same rooms and especially that hallway…She actually even admitted to me that she felt the same way sometimes. A lot of weird things happens in our family but we def. don’t seek them out. My grandparents were/are pentecostal holiness so they are very spiritual. They don’t even really approve of playing cards…forget ouija boards.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.