What do you think about the Book of Enoch

and what’s the CC view on it?

The Book of Enoch is an apocryphal book, it is not inspired Scripture. Many of the teachings in the Book of Enoch are flawed, wrong, and even heretical.

Nevertheless, In my opinion, it’s interesting, but in agreement, apocryphal and non inspired with flaws and being heretical

Quote from Catholic encyclopedia:

**It influenced not only later Jewish apocrypha, but has left its imprint on the New Testament and the works of the early Fathers. The canonical Epistle of St. Jude, in verses 14, 15, explicitly quotes from the Book of Henoch; the citation is found in the Ethiopic version in verses 9 and 4 of the first chapter. There are probable traces of the Henoch literature in other portions of the New Testament. **

**Passing to the patristic writers, the Book of Henoch enjoyed a high esteem among them, mainly owing to the quotation in Jude. The so-called Epistle of Barnabas twice cites Henoch as Scripture. Clement of Alexandria, Tertullian, Origen, and even St. Augustine suppose the work to be a genuine one of the patriarch. But in the fourth century the Henoch writings lost credit and ceased to be quoted. After an allusion by an author of the beginning of the ninth century, they disappear from view. **

The book seemed to having been highly esteemed by many early christians. St Paul’s identification of Paradise being situated in the 3rd heaven may have come from the same book.

Andre

Many of the teachings in the Book of Enoch are flawed, wrong, and even heretical.

Which teachings would those be? I’ve read it, and I can’t think of anything that would be wrong or heretical according to the Catholic Faith.

Peace and God bless!

Doesn’t it say there is marriage in heaven, and birthing of babies too? I maybe thinking of the wrong text. :shrug:

‘The Watchers’, the fallen angels who left their heavenly abode,
and came down to the Earth to make love to mortal women.

I maybe confused with something else, but that’s what I’ve heard about it. :blush:

There are angelic beings who mate with humans, but that’s certainly not heretical. It’s a little off from our modern theological perspective, but it’s not “wrong” according to the Faith. Demons mating with humans is just a philosophical puzzle, not a theological error (and it could be mythological-symbolic language, too).

I don’t recall there being anything about marriage in heaven, though.

Peace and God bless!

Ah, now I understand. :smiley:

A topic I read somewhere, not on this forum, a person who had a discussion with his/her mormon friend about marriage in heaven, he pointed it towards apparent old jewish beliefs and apparently said it was in the Book of Enoch. :shrug:

What do I think about it ? I think it is fascinating, from many different points of view. It is certainly one of the most valuable examples of inter-testamental Jewish literature. Unfortunately, it has survived incomplete, in translation only, which is an enormous pity. Fortunately, the translation of it in James Charlesworth, The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha, volume 1, gives very full notes & clears up many obscurities in the 1913 translation edited by R. H. Charles. The latter is the one commonly found on the Net.

It’s in the Abyssinian Church’s Canon - so one wonders what Catholics of the Coptic Rite & Church think of it.

It is quoted verbatim by St. Jude - it is the only text he does quote in his letter: he refers to Cain & Balaam, without quoting the OT. The last allusion to it in the West that I know of comes from about 320.

The NT can’t be understood fully without a knowledge of it, because it has much to say about the “Son of Man” - Daniel 7 speaks of this mysterious figure, but not as fully as 1 Enoch. Its eschatology, demonology, & conception of the universe are other notable features of the book.

Its influence on “heavenly journey” literature & on visions of heaven & hell has been great - by influencing the Apocalypse of Peter, which was a major source for the Apocalypse of Paul, which was an influence on many of the mediaeval “visions of Hell” (up to & including Dante’s Inferno), it has not between without influence on European literature.

It also interesting as a depiction of Enoch as recipient of heavenly secrets - & that is a motif that is still alive & well: people who claim to receive secrets from the BVM or whoever it may be, are in along line of succession which includes the authors of 4 Ezra & 1 Enoch (as well as others)

So the book is by no means unimportant or valueless - far from it. It’s not without spiritual value either.
[LIST]
*]st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_sd/enoch.html[/LIST]
[LIST]
*]users.ox.ac.uk/~ctitext2/publish/comtxt/ct15/davila.html[/LIST]
[LIST]
*]wesley.nnu.edu/biblical_studies/noncanon/pseudepigrapha.htm[/LIST]

Doesn’t it say there is marriage in heaven, and birthing of babies too? I maybe thinking of the wrong text.
[/quote]

Thank you all for your contributions, however, “Ghosty” I think “CGDouglas” was referring to these verses:

SECTION II/CHAP.6:And it came to pass, after the children of men had increased in those days, beautiful and comely daughters were born to them. And the angels, the sons of the heavens, saw and lusted after them, and said one to another: “Behold, we will choose for ourselves wives from among the children of men, and will beget for ourselves children. And Semjâzâ, who was their leader, said to them: “I fear that perhaps ye will not be willing to do this deed, and I alone shall suffer for this great sin.” 4. Then all answered him and said: “We all will swear an oath, and bind ourselves mutually by a curse, that we will not give up this plan, but will make this plan a deed.” 5. Then they all swore together, and bound themselves mutually by a curse; and together they were two hundred.

**SECTION II/CHAP.7: **"And they took unto themselves wives, and each chose for himself one, and they began to go in to them, and mixed with them, and taught them charms and conjurations, and made them acquainted with the cutting of roots and of woods. And they became pregnant and brought forth great giants whose stature was three thousand ells".

SECTION III/ CHAP.12:Enoch, thou scribe of justice, go, announce to the watchers of heaven, who have left the high heaven and the holy, eternal place, and have contaminated themselves with women, and have done as the children of men do, and have taken to themselves wives, and are contaminated in great contamination upon the earth. But upon earth they shall have no peace, nor forgiveness of sin; for they will not enjoy their children. They will see the murder of their beloved ones, and they will lament over the destruction of their children, and will petition to eternity, but mercy and peace will not be unto them.

SECTION III/CHAP.15:Why have ye left the high, holy, and everlasting heaven, and lain with women, and defiled yourselves with the daughters of men, and taken wives unto yourselves, and acted like the children of earth, and begotten giants as sons? While ye were spiritual, holy, having eternal life, ye defiled yourselves with women, and with the blood of flesh have begotten children, and have lusted after the blood of men, and have produced flesh and blood as they produce who die and are destroyed. Therefore I have given them wives that they might impregnate them and children be born by them, as it is done on earth. Ye were formerly spiritual, living an eternal life without death to all the generations of the world. Therefore I have not made for you any wives, for spiritual beings have their home in heaven. And now the giants, who have been begotten from body and flesh, will be called evil spirits on earth, and their dwelling-places will be upon the earth. Evil spirits proceed from their bodies; because they are created from above, their beginning and first basis being from the holy watchers, they will be evil spirits upon the earth, and will be called evil spirits. But the spirits of heaven have their dwelling-places in heaven, and the spirits of the earth, who were born on the earth, have their dwelling-places on earth. And the spirits of the giants, who cast themselves upon the clouds, will be destroyed and fall, and will battle and cause destruction on the earth, and do evil; they will take no kind of food, nor will they become thirsty, and they will be invisible”.

Now notice the red & blue texts above, my personal interpretation to those sentences as follows:
Red text: God have given the Angels the ability to have wives on earth exactly like human beings, but only after the Angels decided to take wives from among the children of men (i.e., have chosen to sin like Adam & Eve).
Blue text: Angels by natural do not have wives as stated in (Matthew 22:30).

P.S., If anyone sees any contradiction between the book of Enoch & the Bible, then please point out those verses, I’m personally learning here.

I think that you are doing quite well, Sam. The Angels taking humans as wives is refered to in Genesis.

Genesis 6:1-4 tells us, “When men began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. Then the LORD said, “My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years.” The Nephilim were on the earth in those days – and also afterward – when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.” .

However, in my personal opinion, these angels did not necessarily have the same nature as the other Angels of God, such as Micheal and Gabriel.

Andre

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.