What do YOU think about Us Catholics and our veneration of Mary

Jesus started His public ministry at 30 until he died at 33. Those years He was always moving from place to place. Mary may have stayed behind with some one in the family or friends until she joined up with Him again.

All evidence is that she remained with Him over the entire course of His life. Besides, gifting her to John (John 19:26-27) showed that no one else was alive to care for her - He knowing that widows in that day, unless rich to begin with (Book of Judith), were condemned to a life of begging for subsistence. We know he had great pity on widows, witness Luke 7:11 and following, as well as the widow who gave the two small coins in the temple. (Mark 12:42, Luke 21:2) To abandon His mother would violate His Father’s commandment.

And we know they were not wealthy from their sacrifice at the presentation: two pigeons (Luke 2:24). Leviticus 12:6-8 states:

“And when the days of her purifying are completed, whether for a son or for a daughter, she shall bring to the priest at the door of the tent of meeting a lamb a year old for a burnt offering, and a young pigeon or a turtledove for a sin offering, and he shall offer it before the Lord, and make atonement for her; then she shall be clean from the flow of her blood. This is the law for her who bears a child, either male or female. And if she cannot afford a lamb, then she shall take two turtledoves or two young pigeons…"

She traveled with Him at least from Nazareth to the Sea of Galilee/Tiberius, as she was there when they attempted to extract Him from the multitude (Mark 3:7,31). Not to mention the crucifixion.

Very true, but to assume, I think might be going a tad too far. The bond between them was like no other that ever was or ever will be.

It’s nice having a friend on the inside you can talk to…

But Mary would NEVER have hindered in any way His public ministry. By that time She KNEW who He was and She KNEW what His mission from the Father was. She’d definitely have stayed “out of His way” or done anything needed for His ministry to go forward as the Father intended. Remember it’s never about Her but about the Son.

Perhaps a distinction without a difference. How on earth could she hinder Him when she brought about His first miracle? She did nothing to hinder His torture and execution. To hinder His ministry would have been a sin. Impossible.

Not intentional hindering. But making sure He was not worried about Her and who would take care of her.

Personally, I dislike Mary’s Veneration. It inevitably lends itself to jealously and agitation. To think that there is one creation who is objectively above all of us (no matter how “perfect”) doesn’t seem right, even in the context of God’s grace.

Mary makes me feel like a lesser human being, and to be completely honest, I am (by nature). I’d rather an Angel (like Michael) or Adam/Eve be above me than someone who literally came out of nowhere in x point in time and got gracehax (x999) to become perfect despite the established rules… Which points to the question of why those rules exists (and thus, starts the rabbit hole).

Personally, if one must lead, I’d like to see either the Original 2, the Heavenly 2, Seraphim, or 12 Apostles hold the #1 spot, maybe even all of them together in the most bizarre turn of events, but Mary getting an eternal, unshared, #1 gracehax spot in Heaven doesn’t seem right, especially considering all that we’ve had to endure in this life… Think about that for a moment… Unlike Mary, we actually had to endure sin. Mary was always stroll-and-in-control, we aren’t. We not only have to fight the Devil at every moment, but also our own flesh. Some people have proclivities to sin, others are stillborn, and then we have those who are physically and mentally impaired, who essential are bound to live a life of lifelessness–just to fall under the perfect “queen” in Heaven.

Even now, assuming I get to Heaven–I am preparing myself to be degraded by the Son when I ask Him about my inferiority to Her… ‘Question may cost me some time in Purg’ though, but hey… what can ya’ do? :thinking:

Has the #MeToo movement become a witch-hunt to a significant degree?

According to Luke 1:26-35 Mary New even before Christ Birth; a Birth BTW which confirmed the Divine Nature of Her son.

Blessings

Patrick

Christ foresaw that and TOOK care of it:

John 19: 26-30
[26] When Jesus therefore had seen his mother and the disciple standing whom he loved, he saith to his mother: Woman, behold thy son. [27] After that, he saith to the disciple: Behold thy mother. And from that hour, the disciple took her to his own. [28] Afterwards, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, said: I thirst

1st THANKS for NOT identifying yourself as a Catholic

Where in the Bible OR on what evidence do you hold this position?

GBY

I really was referring to the beginning of his public ministry not at the end of it but I do realize that Jesus gave His Mother to John to be cared for from the cross.

I could say the same about hundreds of canonized saints who are nowhere near as great or as chosen as Mary.

Part of becoming a better Christian/ Catholic is recognizing that even though we see all these shortcomings we have, God loves us anyway, and also it gives us goals to shoot for when we have great role models. God didn’t put us here to be Mary; he made one Mary and she fulfilled the mission and role He wanted for her. Nor did God put us here to be St. Ignatius or St. Teresa or St. Paul or anybody else. God put us here to be ourselves, and be the best selves we can be, and find our own unique way of doing that.

Mary started out very much like everyone else…but w/o original sin. She then proceeded to do EVERYTHING in her life right to support Jesus…a role model for the rest of us to strive to emulate! Why would I resent her for that! I just don’t understand some people…

I think it goes too far sometimes. Maybe some Catholics take it too far, beyond what their Church actually teaches.

As Peter said “Lord, you know all things…”

Mary cannot be venerated enough. She is the Mother of God, our mother and the Queen of Heaven. She brought Christ into the world through her obedience and humility.

Mary has been given to us by God as a gift to care for us, protect us and lead us to Him. Should we then just think, “No, not for me, no thanks”?

We honor Mary because God honored her by choosing her to give flesh to His only begotten Son. Jesus created His own mother. She came into being through her Son! She was with him longer than anyone else on earth - virgin womb to virgin tomb. He did exactly zero miracles until Mary gave the servants the best advice in all of scripture: “Do whatever He tells you.” Remember that women were generally not listened to in that culture. Even though Jesus’ hour had not come, He obeyed His mother.

Ponder that…

I too thought this when I read the graphic.

However on the second time through it made more sense.

It says “Living with Her for all but 3 years of My life…”

Yes this is true the last 3 years He was in His public ministry.

But this isn’t saying that she was no where to be seen again. The next line is deep in meaning…

“But then She followed Me…”

When I read that the second time through my mind was blown.

I right away thought about

Luke 2:51
51 Then he went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them. His mother treasured all these things in her heart.

This was the first 30 years. He was obedient to her.

Then I thought about…

John 2:3
3 When the wine gave out, the mother of Jesus said to him, “They have no wine.”

This was the 30th year.

Then…

John 2:5
5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”

This is the sum of “But then She followed Me…”

Do whatever He tells you.

Mary doesn’t say much in Scripture but when she speaks it is deep in meaning.

I would bet everything that that wasn’t the only time those words came out of her mouth during His 3 year ministry.

Add to this all of the verses you sighted in your other post and yes she remained with Him over the entire course of His life.

God Bless

I don’t really care, as it’s not my place to tell other religions what to believe. I just wish you’d be honest about it and call it worship, which it is.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.