What do you think about what my pastor said?

Today I spoke to my Pastor after Mass regarding the EWTN
Media Missionaries. If you don’t know what they are, the network
is asking people who watch EWTN to speak to their pastors
and ask if they can set up a display with EWTN literature somewhere in their church to make more people aware of the
network and what it has to offer.

When I talked to Father about this, he had not heard of it
and I told him what it was about. He was very nice, but
at the same time sort of hesitated and said that we want
to make sure the literature that we would display be “mainstream”. How would you take this remark? I hope I
am not overreating here but…

Your imput would be greatly appreaciated!

[quote=Donna Mc]Today I spoke to my Pastor after Mass regarding the EWTN
and ask if they can set up a display with EWTN literature somewhere in their church to make more people aware of the

to make sure the literature that we would display be “mainstream”. How would you take this remark? I hope I

[/quote]

“Mainstream” could be defined as a lot of things. The only way to find out what your pastor meant is to ask him.

This is true, I guess I am puzzled why he would be concerned
about anything that EWTN would put out. When I get the information and show it to him, I will ask him what he meant.

Hi Donna,

Actually, I’m not too surprised by that comment from your priest. After I went through RCIA I was watching EWTN to learn more about my faith.

I mentioned to the deacon at our parish how much I enjoyed listening to Mother Angelica. He told me quite sternly, “I do NOT like Mother Angelica”. I was confused at the time, but as I got to know him better I came to learn he was quite liberal in his theology. I also came to learn that he was plain wrong in many of the things he taught me in RCIA, and I don’t think he was happy about me discovering the true teaching the Catholic Church. I still consider him to be a good friend, just misguided in this theology.

Can I ask if your priest tends to be more orthodox or liberal in his teaching? That may explain a lot right there. Some priests may consider mainstream to mean unchallenging and thus uninspiring.

[quote=Donna Mc].

[/quote]

Your pastor is directly responsible for any literature displayed or distributed in Church, so he is quite right in wanting to investigate before he gives any group permission to place literature out for parishioners. I too watch and support EWTN but had not hear of media missionaries until just recently. If one of my catechists wanted to use or distribute this material I would also enforce our rule that the pastor has to approve first.

[quote=Donna Mc]Today I spoke to my Pastor after Mass regarding the EWTN

[/quote]

I think he was doing as he should - the Church is not the preserve of any one group, nor must it become this - it is the universal, or Catholic, Church, so no one way of being Catholic can claim to embody the whole of it. Only the whole of what is Catholic, is Catholic: and only Christ embodies this: none of us.

And a lot of groups and people seem inclined to unChurch those who don’t agree with them :frowning: - so well done, him :slight_smile:

BTW, you do mean “over-reacting”, and not “over-eating” ? :slight_smile: ##

Yes Michael, I do mean over-reacting! I didn’t realize I had done
that! :slight_smile:

Ian, to be honest with you, I don’t know too much about Father
yet as he was just installed as our new pastor in June. Since
that time I have not had him very much for Mass as he tends
to usually do masses earlier in the day and we tend to go
to the later ones.

I completely understand why he should look over anything displayed in his parish, I have no problem with that at all.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.