What do you think are Must-See movies?

i say The Ten Commandments
A Man for All Seasons*…

By the way, has anyone read the actual trial transcirpts from Thomas More’s so-called trial?

or do you know where i could find them?

Also, was wondering how accurate the movie is… i know it is not entirely historically accurate but don’t know what parts are and waht parts are not…

Movies I would recommend 100% are Bella and all the John Paul II movies. So inspirational!:smiley:

never heard of Bella. Waht is that about?

also not sure i know of JP II movies either…

I think the movie Becket with stars Richard Burton and Peter OToole is one of the greatest movies of all time. The movie takes you back to 12th century England in an amazing way. Burton’s role as Saint Thomas Becket is stunning-his finest performance in my opinion. The movie explores friendship, love and the honor of God. I am surprised more people have not seen this movie or do not know it even exists. It was nominated for around 12 academy awards. Becket’s private conversations with God remain with me all the time. " Oh Lord, how heavy thy honor is to bear."

Well, I’m going to start with the fact its very pro-life; a woman who is pregnant contemplates abortion but keeps the baby thanks to a very good friend… it will have you crying by the end of it!

WE WERE SOLDIERS and BUFFLO SOLDIERS.

Because most of these two films are historical fact.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

The Passion

It’s a Wonderful Life

thanks… i will try to find it.’

richard Burton as Becket!!! hmmm… :hmmm:

i saw the 1st one… very graphic and sad…

i couldn’t watch about 20% of the Passion…

i also think certain things could have been done better in that movie… I think there should have shown “flashbacks” to Christ’s birth and some of the miracles he performed, etc. Also, i think Mary should have been crying at his crucifixion… I believe Mary did cry… How could she not???

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight

The King and I

because it seems to show how someone (the king of what was then known as Siam) was searching for God… and God sent someone (the schooltecher) to him to show him God’s ways… (the Bible, etc). Of course, the movie isn’t focused on that kind of thing primarily (?) and maybe it is only because i am such an enthused Christian that i see this (?) but anyway…

why?

never heard of either one… although i saw that one Batman movie w/ Michelle Pfiefer as Cat Woman… kinda liked that one…

Did you just sign up for Netflix or something? :smiley:

Rebecca (its an old black and white Alfred Hitchcock movie)

To Kill a Mockingbird

Dead Again (Kenneth Branagh is awesome)

I can’t believe I forgot Monty Python’s Quest for the Holy Grail!!! :thumbsup:

(I actually liked Life of Brian too)

The Sound of Music

The original Star Wars trilogy

Raiders of the Lost Ark / Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

ET

Schindler’s List

The Wizard of Oz

Casablanca (there’s not a single scene wasted in this film)

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves / Cinderella

The Ten Commandments

It’s a Wonderful Life

King Kong (original)

Mary Poppins

Spiderman (I’m a DC comics guy, but this is a thoughtful and well made comic book movie that appeals to even people that don’t like comics.)

Jaws (the relationship between the three stars is the real key to this film)

The Godfather (as a commentary on the insidiousness of evil, and for good casting)

Back to the Future

Planet of the Apes (original)

Citizen Kane (for its radical influence on filmmaking)

2001: A Space Odyssey (for incredible use of images and telling a story in few words)

Rudy (because you’ll cry EVERY time!)

Rocky

To Kill a Mockingbird

Gone with the Wind (since it has given us so many cultural references)

I could name more, but these would be the ones that I’d feel I really missed something had I died without seeing them.

Batman Begins came out in 2005 and The Dark Knight in 2008. Begins was a reboot of the Batman franchise and has no connection to the Burton era Batman flicks. They’re both simply great movies.

Other movies I’d add as must see movies include:
Dark City (director’s cut)
Gladiator
Lord of the Rings trilogy (extended editions)
The Matrix trilogy
Office Space
The Prestige
Serenity
Sleepy Hollow
Spaceballs
Star Wars (all 6)
Stardust
Unbreakable

Shallow Hal, because I came out of it looking at the other people in the theater with different eyes. And it’s funny.

Rather than offer titles, as this seems to be a “what are your favorite movies”, how about a reason?

Some of the titles here I think offer little redeeming value and are nothing but entertainment, some rather unholy. That is hardly a “must see”.

The Lord of the RIngs - This serious has lead almost every literary poll ever taken of the greatest books of the twentieth century. They have a wealth of Catholic imagery and speak to the existence and the battle between good and evil. Here are a could of good links on this topic.

peterkreeft.com/audio/04_insights-into-evil.htm

peterkreeft.com/audio/28_lotr_christianity.htm

Mel Gibson’s passion:

Yes, the imagery is harsh. It is however what really happened. Every follower of Christ needs to know, not just intellectually but viscerally, the price of our sin. If viewing this film is disturbing, it is a drop in the bucket as to how much our sin disturbs God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.