What do you think are Must-See movies?

It’s a Wonderful Life

They don’t make them like this anymore. We all have times of trouble and feel like there is no hope. Yet this film shows more clearly than any other the connectedness of all man and that contrary to what Shakespeare thought, the good we do does live after us. It is the best message of hope I have every seen in the cinema.

Thus we have my first choice which shows our faith, the second which shows us love, and this one shows us hope. The funny thing is that when I picked them I did not pick up on this little tidbit. It is only as I give the reason for my picks do I see this pattern.

all i’ve seen is Lord ofthe Rings…

of those you list, could you explain in 1 or 2 sentences what 2 or 3 of them is about?

i like true stories… Is Shindler’s List true? I know it is probably based on a lot of things that really happened… but wondering if it is more fiction than real?

hahha Finding Nemo - no joke :slight_smile: it’s such a cute movie :smiley: Up and Bolt are pretty good to :wink:

And of course Pride and Prejudice [the new one], Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Dust, the Princess Bride, and really any Jane Austen movie - Emma, Sense and Sensibility, Persuasion, and Northanger Abby are very good :smiley:

oh and I loved Bella, too :smiley:

are any of these true??

i liked the Scarlet Pimpernel

so sad that it isn’t true… although what was going on in France in 1790s (portrayed in the movie) was, sadly, all-too-true…

i’m sorry - when you say are any of these true, do you mean like are any of these good? or do any of these exist? i’m really sorry, maybe we’re from different parts of the country…or the world - again my apologies. :blush:

As an historian, I am in charge of a program at my college in which we invite students to watch an historically-based movie each month. Virtually ALL historical movies take some liberties with the plot, although some take more than others. Schindler’s List is indeed a true story, and as far as historical movies go, stays relatively faithful to the actual facts. That said, there are sites, including ones like Wikipedia, where you can go and look up which parts were true and which were not.

Of the other films on my list, the only other two that are based on historical events are The Sound of Music (which indeed takes substantial liberties, but is beloved anyway), and Rudy (which is also relatively accurate, although it portrays the second head coach of Notre Dame as more insensitive than he really was).

Here’s a list of some good historical films that are worth watching:

Braveheart
Titanic
Gladiator
Troy
Mongol: The Rise of Genghis Khan
Lawrence of Arabia
Gandhi
Kingdom of Heaven
Marie Antoinette
Bridge on the River Kwai
Tora! Tora! Tora!

I have to go out shopping right now, but I’ll post some more with commentary later.

pnewton, I really didn’t like the second movie in the LOTR trilogy at all–way too much fighting and darkness and screaming and yelling and smoke and ugly orc faces covered with blood. It reminded me of a lot of the modern thrillers, only it was set in Middle Earth instead of New York City or Viet Nam.

So as a result, I never bothered to go see the 3rd movie in the Trilogy.

Sorry. :frowning:

I like Rolltides’ list, and I would add Terminator 2: Judgement Day. It was the beginning of the CGI effects. Also, my favorite actor got his big break in this movie, and he is really hot!

my time is very limited so i only watch movies that are based on true stories…

wow… had no idea all these movies were based on true stories… If you would be so kind, could you give a one-sentence description of at least some of them?

didn’t know there was a movie about marie Antoinette… would be hesitant to watch it because she has been unfairly portrayed by historians… non-Ctholic ones, of course. Do you think the movie does her justice (I’ve read books that discliam her "let them eat cake: comment… etc.) ?
i’ve seen Gandi…

but don’t think i’ve seen the others…

oh i’m sorry - i missed that. No, none of them are really true :wink: but really cool true stories are WW2 movies - The Scarlet and The Black is a really great movie! It’s about the Vatican vs. hitler. One more amazing true story “It’s A Beautiful Life” and make sure you get the English version. :wink:

That is why I watch few movies period: 1 - 3 a month on television and 1 - 3 a year at the theatre.

Don’t forget “Harvey”. That one is about as funny as funny gets and leaves me with a warm glow. The humor is done so lovingly and Jimmy Stewart absolutely inhabits Elwood P. Dowd.

I’m only posting this one because I saw it yesterday and had never seen it before (before my time I guess) and unlike contemporary Hollywood movies which deal with history by putting a revisionist spin on it (Kingdom of Heaven), this one was made at a time I believe when films tried to stick to the time that is portrayed.

It is called Mary Queen of Scots, made in 1971 and starring Vanessa Redgrave. It portrays in full colour the rivalry between Protestant Queen Elizabeth 1st of England against Catholic Queen Mary of Scotland. Some very dramatic acting and Redgrave and the actress playing Elizabeth really do an incredible job.

These movies remind me of a time when Hollywood actually seemed to at least try to portray history as it was (unlike the contemporary dark versions of Elizabeth with Blanchett or Joan of Arc with Jovovic, which I did not like very much). Mary Queen of Scots is truer to history. Just my personal opinion, so please don’t kick me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh another one in which the Americans are not portrayed as the bad guys is TNT’s production about the C.I.A. called The Company. tnt.tv/series/thecompany/

The reason it impressed me is because it dealt with the Cold War head on and the C.I.A. vs. K.G.B. in close to historic detail. I had been an avid reader of spy books, and was surprised that a film came out dealing with James Jesus Angleton, Kim Philby and the whole “mole hunt” which obsessed the C.I.A. in the Cold War. There are some dramatizations, as when one C.I.A. agent finds himself in Hungary in 1956 during the uprising which was untrue, but it deals with the history quite aptly. For those who have read up on espionage during this time, I’d say it’s a must see. Suffice it to say that the C.I.A.'s Angleton confided everything to Brit Kim Philby about American espionage until he came across the greatest double-cross of his life with Philby. This version is truer to form than DeNiro’s dark and morally equivalent Good Shepherd.

Oh sorry on a roll…If you enjoy Shakespeare you must see Laurence Olivier’s 1948 production of Hamlet, which stands the test of time. The acting is incredible. :slight_smile:

Totally agree. If you like Sci-Fi, then Terminator 2 is great. Certainly the best of the Terminator movies. Remarkable in that the CGI holds up almost perfectly after all of these years. It also has something that many CGI action films lack today… a GOOD PLOT!

‘It’s a beautiful life’, while it’s a great movie, is not a true story

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.