What do you think happens us after death?

Do you think we immediately meet Jesus face to face and our fate will be decided determined on the state of our soul? Is it an immediate fight the moment we breath our last? I always have a fear my soul will have some stain of mortal sin…even if I get to purgatory I’ll be so grateful cause I know I’ll eventually be with God.

All I know is I will be so sad and frightened that I hope He will hold me and let me see Him, even if I then have to do Purgatory…

What do you think happens us after death?

One of the most fascinating accounts is from Howard Storm, who wrote a book about his near-death experience and encounter with Jesus. It is a fascinating account and had life-changing consequences when he survived his ordeal.

The Creator’s universe is far, far more sophisticated and complex than we could ever even imagine. Personal belief: I do think that believers that call on Christ will see Him fairly promptly after death, yes.

I think if someone lives a good life, whether they are destined to purgatory or heaven their Guardian angel will be there to offer some kind of support.Our Guardian angel is with us always on earth, so it makes sense that they will be somehow involved. This is just a personal opinion.

Accounts differ, but some have said that they did some travelling through a tunnel toward a light, which turned out to be a person, a very loving person. So it doesn’t sound as if judgement is instantaneous, at the moment of death.

What is a stain of mortal sin? If we’re in mortal sin, we won’t get to purgatory, according to the Bible. I try to deal with possible mortal sin right away, not wanting to take chances, and even more, not wanting to be out of friendship with God.
If someone has committed a mortal sin, he should do his best to get to confession as soon as possible.

The Catholic teaching is that the rational soul, immediately upon death of the body, receives the particular judgement and awaits resurrection of the body and the general judgement. At the general judgement, when the body is resurrected and reunited with the rational soul, the person exists again. St. Thomas Aquinas thought that the powers of the soul remain after death and are intelligence and will, which includes sorrow and joy, and intellectual memory (but not the sensory memory proper to the body).

In general I agree.
In my opinion well stated.:slight_smile:
paduard

This is why I pray that I will not die without the sacraments of Last Rites.

“Accounts differ, but some have said that they did some travelling through a tunnel toward a light, which turned out to be a person, a very loving person. So it doesn’t sound as if judgement is instantaneous, at the moment of death.”

That describes a near-death experience, not death.

As such, the person is not dead, but dying, and “their soul” is still anchored, however tenuously, to the biological body. So the person is not in eternity, even if what is experienced is psychological rather than real time.

ICXC NIKA

From everything I have seen and read about this, it does not appear death is something we should fear…nearly all the people who have had NDEs, good and bad, none of them has a fear of death anymore.

Death is something I am VERY scared of, I imagine it will be like an explosion and I will suddenly ‘wake up’ in some terrible place, being ripped apart by demons, but I have to remember that is my earthly mind imaging, and more than likely, its nothing like I can imagine and is probably more like a whisper than an explosion.

Its just scary, because we dont know for sure, NDEs may also not be what we think they are, but I do find it odd, certain people that have lived certain ways, tend to have scary/ bad NDEs versus good people having pleasant NDEs, If they are just the mind, why dont see crazy NDEs, with unicorns, fairies, etc…so that does peak my interest a bit that it may be more than just the mind working overtime.

We are judged and then go to heaven, hell, or purgatory. What exactly we will see, feel, hear, smell, etc is unknown. All that is known is that heaven is amazing, purgatory is suffering of some kind but only temporarily, and hell is eternal suffering of some kind.

judged and then go to heaven, hell, or purgatory. What exactly we will see, feel, hear, smell, etc is unknown.

True but Saint Faustina did say that there were (awful) smells in Hell. Certainly if even those in Hell still have a nose, certainly in Purgatory and Heaven they do as well! :):):slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.