What do you think of Fr. Daniel Helminiak?

Does anyone ever read books by Fr. Daniel A. Helminiak? He’ a Roman Catholic Priest, but I’m just unsure about his writings.

What The Bible Really Says about Homosexuality

Take a look at the amazon reviews if you haven’t yet. Some of them are not to supportive.

God Bless,
Matt

If you read the introduction excerpt in Amazon you will see where he is going. He states that homosexuality was acceptable throughout the first millennium.

Also in the table of contents he has a chapter to show that the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah was inhospitality. That argument is usually used in support of the homosexual culture.

While some will claim you cannot condemn a book without reading it, one doesn’t have to get too close to somethings to know one doesn’t want to get closer; especially if one approaches them from downwind. :smiley:

So my guess is right haha…

Thanks all, for the clarification!
I’m just a little surprised to know that Catholic priests are allowed to publish such books.

Father Helminiak said nothing new in his book nor did he put it forth as his own idea. He is reporting responsible Christian scholarship on a particular subject.
Don’t shoot the messenger.

Matthew

From Daniel Helminiak’s website:

Realizing I am gay, disillusioned with the institutional church, and unable to reconcile my integrity with Vatican expectations, I enrolled in The University of Texas at Austin, earned a PhD in Human Development, withdrew from active priestly ministry (the Vatican has never recognized this resignation: I remain a Catholic priest), and accepted a teaching position.

visionsofdaniel.net/

He also wrote the FAQ for DignityUSA:
dignityusa.org/faq.html

I've read Fr. Daniel Helminiak's books "What the Bible Really Says About Homosexuality" and "Spirituality For Our Global Community." Both are excellent books. I recommend them both. Remembering what Fr. Donald J. Keefe says in regards to useful critique, "theological affirmations must be developed from within theological reasoning." Thomism and the ontological theology of Paul Tillich: a comparison of systems, p. 144. Hence, to critique Fr. Helminiak's books one must judge his works from within his premises. I found no personal interpretation on homosexuality on Fr. Helminiak's part but I did find more insight into what the Bible really does say. Fr.'s interpretations regarding homosexuality not only is without error but is well documented by the Jerome Biblical Commentary, ed. 1968. The only difference with the commentary is the interjection of Catholic doctrine. Regarding Fr.'s book on Spirituality, he nails what is wrong with world religions. Either book relates to that which most Christians fail to understand about God's Word. There is a main theme throughout Fr.'s writing. Read the books and leave your belief's behind to judge Fr.'s writings on the basis of his premises. All premises must come from Christ's teachings. If not then, Fr. Helminiak's books will not hold out against Christ's teaching. If you can read without prejudice you will find value in Fr's writings.

Thanks for that thoughtful response. Very interesting! :slight_smile:

Nothing

Last time I checked Paul listed sodomites amongst those who would not enter the kingdom. The church has always held homosexual acts to be gravely immoral and any book which suggest 1. this was not the case 2. it might change, is clearly not presenting an argument which is in line with Catholic teaching.

I understand the Church’s teaching on homosexuality. Nevertheless, I think we should back off of the condemnation of homosexual men and women so prevalent among Christians of all denominattions. It is not as if heterosexuals never committed sexual sins. We rather need to be encouraging all to lead lives of Christian charity, prayer and avoidance of sin.

You are of course correct. That is exactly what the Church teaches. One of the problems with folks pointing at the Bible is one risks falling into the protestant reasoning of ‘sola scriptura’. In my opinion one can’t properly interpret the Bible without considering the practices and teachings of the early Church, prior to and during the selection of the canon of scripture, which has always held that homosexual acts- or any extra-marital sexual acts-- are wrong.

I don’t agree, (or not exactly). We don’t need to lay off, but rather teach the fullness of truth. You are quite right in saying we need to be balanced, and we need to stress God’s love for the sinner but also his hatred for the sin. But we need to be more vocal on the topic of homosexuality, because right at the moment there is a concerted effort to normalize this deeply dysfunctional lifestyle. We need to preach the Gospel, always with love, but not shy away from its hard truths.

If Daniel Helminiak was licitly ordained he will be a priest until the day he dies. It would appear that he is claiming that he just walked away from his priesthood and didn't apply for laicisation. One would have to speak to his bishop to find if he is or is not a laicised priest. Keeping the tag "Fr" and writing about biblical approval of homosexuality would sell a few more books.:(
A quick look at his bio shows that he is a very bright man who probably has influenced many young people's thinking about acting out same sex attraction.

I can never understand a man throwing away his priesthood. How can he not grieve to the depths of his being that he can't confect the Eucharist or give absolution in the Sacrament of Confession except in an emergency.

I recall reading a descriptive term “a Judas Priest”.

Father, it’s those hard truths why I can’t return to the Church. I’ll alway believe that those hard truths I differ with might someday be explained away but so far Catholics can only site Catholic doctrine. I know enough to know the difference between doctrine and God’s Word. The Church would have to change drastically but we both know that won’t happen. There is a right balance but not unlike the political scene in this country, there is no balance to be found.

Could it possibly be, that you might have to change, rather then the church? A hard truth is still a truth. I hope you find your way back home. You are in my prayers.

A need is something defined as that with which we cannot survive. Think of our need for water, food, air. etc. There are also psychological needs which also lead to survival and or a kind of death in the absence of at least minimal fulfillment.

Given that, sex is not an individual need. It is however, a species need. Procreation is required for species survival. I am not skilled enough in biblical referencing to back that up with scripture.

Homosexuality does not lead to procreation, and that may be part of the reason that the Church sees it as a wrongness.

Nevertheless, we have gay sisters and brothers who do need us to love and accept them for who and what they are, just as we hetero couple accept one another and try, in our communities to reach out in a Christian manner. Most cannot change in terms of their orientation. They may be willing at some time to change their behavior. That applies to all us sinners, one way or the other!

I understand the absolute rightness and wrongness of things, but how do we minister to the people, couples and individuals in the midst of this. Along with that is to speak out against the absolute wrong of those who terrorize and brutalize, or at least threaten anyone who is “different.”

And OK, just to be clear, I had a close relative who was gay. I loved him dearly.

so far Catholics can only site Catholic doctrine.

Do you mean teachings about Homosexuality?

• I know enough to know the difference between doctrine and God’s Word*.

What is your definition of doctrine and what is the difference between doctrine and God’s Word?

The Church would have to change drastically

How do you think the Church would have to change and why?

[quote="Fr_Michael_Grac, post:17, topic:108090"]
Could it possibly be, that you might have to change, rather then the church? A hard truth is still a truth. I hope you find your way back home. You are in my prayers.

[/quote]

No, Father and, I don't see nor do I infer that the Church should change. Change is good and the Church has changed, slowly but most assuredly. For me to return I'd need to see the change. Not likely, for as I said, the Church changes over long periods of time. Not in my generation or even in my, if I'm lucky, 20 years left of my life. I'm not concerned. I spend many hours a day in my studies on the Bible. Not all of my studies are in the Bible. My research takes me to many authors including Catholic books on Protestant theology, Catholic philosophy. I use exclusively, the Jerome Biblical Commentary, ed., 1968. My favorite Bible is the NAB, ed., 1970. I do not depend on my personal interpretation of the Bible. I seek collaboration. I look towards the mechanical translations of ancient Hebrew or of Greek. I do not take out of context any passage. The interpretation of biblical passages depends on scripture verifying scripture. References point to the meaning that authors were speaking to. All to often doctrine steps away from such contextual interpretations. I do not follow Sola scripura as in most fundamentalist churches. I depend on Church tradition. I am speaking of Christian thought. I do not follow Church doctrine; not Thomism although, I do read St. Thomas Aquinas. The theology I follow is not important because I have no desire to argue with Catholic faith.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.