what do you think of homosexuality?

When someone asks you that question, how do you respond?

I think our answer should start with

Love the Lord your God with all you Heart, Mind and Soul

Love your neighbor reguardless of “orientation” as yourself.

And, let the person asking know you love them.

We can hate the sin but still love the sinner. God loves us, even when we are far from him due to sin. I’ve known homosexuals over the years. I accept them as people, but won’t support the sin. If they want “gay” marriage, I am definately against that.

I think we’re in a messed up world. I am sad for those who truly do contend with SSA, am sadder still for those who are swayed into believing they are inclined in that direction by all the hype, pressure, and media out there. They seek love. They are looking in the wrong place.

If I"m asked the question you pose, that pretty much is my response and I back it up by sharing my experiences with those I’ve been associated with over the year for one time or another who struggle with the issue. Those I know still are not happy, even after coming out, living openly, being proud.

Difficult to get them to seek love from God, though, because those I know belong to ‘welcoming’ churches and they are on fire with his love. I haven’t figured out how to counter that part. They believe they have God’s blessing and love, yet they are still unhappy.

I think, consistent with Church teaching, that homosexuality is a disorder that leads some into grave sin and others into the virtue of continence. Still others are led to lead other to sin.

:thumbsup:

I live in an area with a large homosexual population. Many of them are friendly, respectable and well-spoken. They just don’t want to acknowledge God’s or our love for them. I pray for them because when I talk to them I sometimes feel their longing for spiritual peace. It makes me sad when they turn to meaningless relationships, drugs or alcohol for solace because I once did the same.

Homosexuals are the modern day Prodigal Sons. When they come back to God, He will welcome them, and so should we. I don’t see them as abnormal. Rather I see them as lost brothers and sisters.

(1) Homosexuality exists
(2) People confuse two different things by the use of the word:
(a) the condition (which may or may not be acted on)
(b) an active sexual lifestyle with the same sex
(3) The above (a) is never sinful but it is a disordered condition.
Disordered does not mean such persons are thereby any more screwwed up than anyone else (we are all disordered in one way or another).
(4) The above (b) is materially “sinful” but may not be formally sinful. Noone has the right to judge between material sinfulnes and formal sinfulness but God alone.
(5) Material sinfulness is quite compatible with remaining in God’s grace.
(6) Formal sinfulness may be either venial or mortal. Again, noone has the right to judge.
(7) If homosexual lifestyle is a disorder that suggests such couples cannot expect to have their relationship given the same legal status and privileges as heterosexual marriage.
(8) However there seems no intrinsic reason why such couples, if they evidence a life long committed relationship of care (like adoption), could not have this tie legalised in some way as to give them the same rights as family ties (eg visiting in hospital, inheritance etc).

Sin is sin. Our current generation may have to look that term up in a dictionary app.

I say that if homosexual behavior is so normal, so natural, so just, so right, and is such a benefit to society, then it should be made mandatory.

This is a very difficult question for me. I was raised in an incredibly liberal area of California, and therefore when I converted to Catholicism, it was extremely difficult for me to wrap my head around the concept of homosexuality being sinful.

As far as I can tell, it’s something that you can’t really understand without faith. It doesn’t make sense to non-Catholics, why God would give us something that is bad. It seems unbalanced to non-Catholics that some people would be “required” to live a life of chastity. Unless you believe in what the Catholics believe in, it’s difficult to understand. I can tell a person that it’s not unfair because God will treat us all exactly equally in the end, but then they will ask how I can know that for sure. I will then respond that we have to trust God, because we know Him to be fair and just in all cases, but because they have no trust of God, the argument makes no sense to them. Or when I tell them that because God will never tempt us more than we can handle, those who are given the temptation of homosexuality are only those who are strong enough to be able to stay in God’s grace; but it’s not logical to them that that could happen, because to an atheist these characteristics are nothing but random gene sequences, and to them it’s impossible that the two traits of strong temptation and strong faith will always go together. When I tell them that we simply must trust God, they cannot understand, because they do not have faith in God.

I’ve been a hard-core liberal Christian. I have made all the arguments about why it is nonsensical for religion to say homosexual lifestyle is sinful. I couldn’t find any logic in the arguments from people such as Catholics, until I actually became Catholic. Once I believed in the faith, I realized that I had been dead-wrong about an issue that seemed to so natural and obvious. I really do that in order for a person to truly understand certain things, they need a certain amount of knowledge of the faith on which they are based. It doesn’t mean they need to be Catholic, necessarily, but unless they have knowledge of the faith, at least of where we are coming from, you can’t just explain it to them in one shot.

So mostly, if I am asked the question, I will typically decline to respond on the grounds that I doubt they will be willing to see the logic behind faith-based arguements. For the most part, they tend to agree.

A better question is what does the Church think about homosexuality? And one has to have an understanding of why there are two sexes in the first place.
Marriage: Unique for a Reason**

The Catechism of the Catholic - Chastity and Homosexuality

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that “homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered.” They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, authored by then Joseph Card. Ratzinger:
Considerations Regarding Proposals to Give Legal Recognition to Unions between Homosexual Persons:

…Sacred Scripture condemns homosexual acts “as a serious depravity… (cf. Rom 1:24-27; 1 Cor 6:10; 1 Tim 1:10). This judgment of Scripture does not of course permit us to conclude that all those who suffer from this anomaly are personally responsible for it, but it does attest to the fact that homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered”. This same moral judgment is found in many Christian writers of the first centuries and is unanimously accepted by Catholic Tradition.

Nonetheless, according to the teaching of the Church, men and women with homosexual tendencies “must be accepted with respect, compassion and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided”. They are called, like other Christians, to live the virtue of chastity. The homosexual inclination is however “objectively disordered” and homosexual practices are “sins gravely contrary to chastity”.

In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have been given the legal status and rights belonging to marriage, clear and emphatic opposition is a duty. One must refrain from any kind of formal cooperation in the enactment or application of such gravely unjust laws and, as far as possible, from material cooperation on the level of their application. In this area, everyone can exercise the right to conscientious objection.

To the question “what do you think of homosexuality?” I would say, “I believe ‘acting’ on it is wrong, because it means to use the bodies organs in a manner in which they are not designed to be used for and when it comes to same sex attraction, I believe there is not one man or woman who does not suffer from an immoral desire and our desires are not who we are because we make that choice.”

Thank you for reading
Josh

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

love them as any other neighbor. but not their sin.

God bless

What I think and what I say do not harmonize. I usually find myself making white lies to be PC.

What I think is “Why does every TV show have to have someone struggling with immoral sexuality (the whole gamut of immoral sexuality: fornication, adultery, homosexuality, transgender, beastiality, ect). Are there really as many people with same sex attractions as portrayed on TV? Does the same sex people control Hollywood? Are the people who so happily promote same sex lifestyles gay (corporate leaders, government leaders, journalists, parents, ect)? Why does the same sex community promote laws to hide (put in the closet) gender (ie in WAshington State removing male/female from all government forms…don’t put me in the closet because you are acting wrong— I proud to be female) Why do people with same sex act like bullies? Why do they use the rainbow as their symbol (I think of Noah’s ark and the pairing of male & female with the rainbow). Are women models now super mega anorexic because of people like Nigel (Top Model) are trying to get them to have an " A** like a 12 year old boy”? Curves are gone, and I can only guess it’s because too many have someone with a same sex attraction grooming them to their preferences. On that show “Glee” they showcased a boy who acted like a good girl ( never been kissed, virgin, prude, pure); was this a old man’s way to groom a generation to act this way for all same sex types ---- advertising??? That dude on Duck Dynasty is applauded for telling the truth - never watched the show, but glad to hear someone stand up to the bullies who are wolves in sheep’s clothing. Will South Parks episode, Goobacks, come true? Are a good number of Priests afflicted with same sex attractions ( I know pedifila is different from homosexual, but still … )

What I say … love the sinner hate the sin. But it hides all my above suspicion about the agenda I see unfold in front of my eye that lead many away from God.

:thumbsup:

I am hoping that society returns to a time where there is more dignity.
This would inculde a return to purity and goodness without any hedonistic tendancies on display for all to see and approve of. Jesus suffered and died for us to live this way, in communion with the Father. If people are struggling with a particular sin, they need to deal with it privately and pray. You do not erase sin by getting the approval of society.

I like that the church doesn’t use hateful language when talking about gays. There is no place for that. God wants everyone near him and to push people away by saying that they are condemned or wicked is just wrong.

I think the word ‘disordered’ is a good choice. It make it clear that it is not what the church believes to be appropriate but it doesn’t say that people are without hope. We all struggle with sin.

I also like that the church says that they don’t know why some people have this cross to bear. That acknowledges their struggle and shows sympathy.

The fact is that a gay person could be in full communion with the church and it is really none of our business. If they are practicing celibacy, as they would be asked to do after confession, then they are in full communion. I would never judge someone who fits any sort of stereotype if I saw them in church. I don’t know what they are or are not doing and it’s none of my business.

Overall, I think, after reading the catechism and thinking about what the Pope has said, the church responds in a loving and welcoming manner towards gay people without compromising the core beliefs. God bless all those with that cross to bear who are struggling.

As far as the minority of gay people that are militant, well, keep switching cheeks. They ARE a minority and don’t speak for gays anymore than the minority of Christians that use hateful language speak for all of us. The church has been through much worse.

I think it’s a disordered inclination.

Here is my response:
"Same sex attraction is a particularly heavy cross to bear, and so we should be compassionate for those struggling with it. However, acting on it and engaging in homosexual behaviors, such as same-sex romantic relationships and homosexual acts, would be gravely sinful, so we should always encourage chastity, for the sake of the health of their bodies and their souls. People actively promoting or living the gay lifestyle are endangering their own souls and that of others, as well as advocating for a lifestyle that results in a dramatically shorter life, so they should be admonished. If they will not listen to reason, and persist in their sins, then I would choose to distance myself from them, but I would still pray regularly for them and hope for their salvation.

What do I think about it? It is a natural and normal variation of the extremely complex nature of human sexuality…just like heterosexuality is. Nature is complex and diverse…and so is human sexuality.

What do I think about it? It is a natural and normal variation of the extremely complex nature of human sexuality…just like heterosexuality is. Nature is complex and diverse…and so is human sexuality.

The Holy Spirit and the human authors of Sacred Scripture disagree…

I had a nice chat with my husband about this. He has a few relationships (co-workers) where he actually knows homosexuals. I have meet several homosexuals, but never had a relationship with them. When I say, “relationship” I mean conversations, exchanges of wants & needs, and a little dependency upon each other. My experience has mainly been an over exposure from TV/media. It is hard to have a relationship with the media. Often media bombards us with a message one way, and does not give us any opportunity to reply. As such, my husband helped me see that with my only knowledge coming from this one way relationship I have become alienated by not seeing the whole picture. This does not diminish my many questions when I think of homosexuals, but when I do have a flow of questions I must realize where I am coming from: a place without a relationship with people who suffer from same sex attraction. It has been good for me to read many of the threads that have a more confident and inclusive way of those with same sex attractions. I especially liked the comparison to the moderne day sameritan. My husband also said, yes there are homosexual priests. He honors one who ran into the Twin Towers on 9-11 to save souls.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.