What do you think of NPR?

Lately, I've really gotten into listening to NPR. Not only does it seem to be all but devoid of the bias that floods cable TV networks, but it covers the news in a global setting, rather than a strictly national one. I find the non-news-related programming to be both very entertaining and educational. The audio nature of the network allows me to multitask while listening. The only downside that comes to mind is that all of the programming is strictly secular (which isn't much of a downside, as it allows people of other faiths to enjoy it). Short of perhaps the Colbert Report, I've yet to find a compelling alternative.

What are your thoughts on NPR?

--James Chapel

I find it thought-provoking, but with a decided tilt to the “left”.

You must be listening to a different NPR than the one I have heard for the last 15 years. Not only are they very liberally biased but they are Pro-homosexual, Pro-abortion and definitely anti-Christian and anti-Catholic. I supported NPR for a couple of years until I started noticing more and more their liberal bent and then I was done. Some of the shows they have on Saturdays are so bad that I have to make sure my kids don't hear what is being said if I'm cruising through stations. BAD, bad, bad!

[quote="Pamtha, post:3, topic:218899"]
You must be listening to a different NPR than the one I have heard for the last 15 years. Not only are they very liberally biased but they are Pro-homosexual, Pro-abortion and definitely anti-Christian and anti-Catholic. I supported NPR for a couple of years until I started noticing more and more their liberal bent and then I was done. Some of the shows they have on Saturdays are so bad that I have to make sure my kids don't hear what is being said if I'm cruising through stations. BAD, bad, bad!

[/quote]

Maybe we just have different definitions as to what constitutes "liberal"? In any case, maybe they do have slight liberal leanings, but I've never heard anything pro-abortion or anti-christian on there.

[quote="JChapel, post:4, topic:218899"]
Maybe we just have different definitions as to what constitutes "liberal"? In any case, maybe they do have slight liberal leanings, but I've never heard anything pro-abortion or anti-christian on there.

[/quote]

No, it's definitely liberal in a deep cultural sense. I know because their college-educated, city-dwelling, electric-car-loving, slightly bookish and intellectual audience is my tribe.

I wish it weren't true, but it's still much more palatable than anything on commercial radio, which is a wasteland.

[quote="tomarin, post:5, topic:218899"]
No, it's definitely liberal in a deep cultural sense. I know because their college-educated, city-dwelling, slightly bookish and intellectual audience is my tribe.

I wish it weren't true, but it's still much more palatable than anything on commercial radio, which is a wasteland.

[/quote]

I suppose you are right. Nevertheless, I still find it a lot more educational and yes, palatable, than Fox News radio and the overwhelming conservative voice that seems to flood the airwaves.

I have no real problem with the site and view it from time to time. It is liberal but not as bad as what one finds on msnbc.

As a previous poster said, you must be listening to a different NPR. Here is a link to an article discussing NPR's bias;

freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2615770/posts

Also, you can get more information just by doing a search for "NPR anti-Catholic bias".

Anti-Catholicism is the only legitimate form of bias left to the media; they certainly can't make any uncharitable remarks about Muslims or Islam, they'd be labeled Islamophobes. Jews and Blacks, or African Americans are definitely off limits too. I certainly hope you aren't giving any money to these people.

[quote="violetandgandal, post:8, topic:218899"]
As a previous poster said, you must be listening to a different NPR. Here is a link to an article discussing NPR's bias;

freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2615770/posts

Just copy and paste the URL into your browser. Also, you can get more information just by doing a search for "NPR anti-Catholic bias".

Anti-Catholicism is the only legitimate form of bias left to the media; they certainly can't make any uncharitable remarks about Muslims or Islam, they'd be labeled Islamophobes. I certainly hope you aren't giving any money to these people.

[/quote]

Then I might as well lock myself up in a cave free from all media. Sure, there is some liberal bias, and maybe a little bit of anti-catholic sentiment, but in this day and age I've yet to find any news source which is entirely bias-free.

One hears the "liberal" tag liberally applied to NPR by people on the political right, but I wonder why, since none of them, apparently, ever listen to it. I am always amused when a political conservative lambastes NPR for being so liberal, but then admits he has never once listened to it. On the other hand, I have heard liberal friends skewer Bill O'Reilly and then when you ask if they watch The O'Reilly Factor they respond, "of course not!"

:rolleyes:

I am a political centrist and I have listened to NPR on a number of occasions...but seldom for a long stretch. While I can't say I really notice anything particularly "liberal" about it, I will say that I have frequently found NPR...well...boring. I'll have my credentials as an urban sophisticate revoked for that, but I would be lying if I said otherwise.

[quote="Pregustator, post:10, topic:218899"]
I'll have my credentials as an urban sophisticate revoked for that, but I would be lying if I said otherwise.

[/quote]

I've reported this to headquarters. No more latte's for you.

[quote="JChapel, post:1, topic:218899"]
Lately, I've really gotten into listening to NPR. Not only does it seem to be all but devoid of the bias that floods cable TV networks, but it covers the news in a global setting, rather than a strictly national one. I find the non-news-related programming to be both very entertaining and educational. The audio nature of the network allows me to multitask while listening. The only downside that comes to mind is that all of the programming is strictly secular (which isn't much of a downside, as it allows people of other faiths to enjoy it). Short of perhaps the Colbert Report, I've yet to find a compelling alternative.

--James Chapel

[/quote]

I assume that by devoid of bias you mean you agree with their bias. Ask Juan Williams how devoid of bias NPR is. I do agree with you, however, that it is best compared to a satirical news report on the comedy Channel.

[quote="estesbob, post:12, topic:218899"]
I assume that by devoid of bias you mean you agree with their bias. Ask Juan Williams how devoid of bias NPR is. I do agree with you, however, that it is best compared to a satirical news report on the comedy Channel.

[/quote]

Sigh I don't know. Let's turn the tables, shall we?

Let's begin by establishing the premise that the Fox News channel is the most conservative mainstream news organization on the radio or television.

Now I ask you how far left, from that point, am I allowed to go without being judged as "anti-catholic" or "too liberal"? Judging from the majority of the responses I have received, some of you might even think Fox News too liberal.

[quote="JChapel, post:13, topic:218899"]
Sigh I don't know. Let's turn the tables, shall we?

Let's begin by establishing the premise that the Fox News channel is the most conservative mainstream news organization on the radio or television.

Now I ask you how far left, from that point, am I allowed to go without being judged as "anti-catholic" or "too liberal"? Judging from the majority of the responses I have received, some of you might even think Fox News too liberal.

[/quote]

How much taxpayer funding does Fox news receive?

[quote="estesbob, post:14, topic:218899"]
How much taxpayer funding does Fox news receive?

[/quote]

Answer my question. xD

Answer mine.

[quote="tomarin, post:11, topic:218899"]
I've reported this to headquarters. No more latte's for you.

[/quote]

Woe is me.

Nobody knows the trouble I seen. Nobody knows...but Juan Williams.

[quote="estesbob, post:16, topic:218899"]
Answer mine.

[/quote]

Fox News may be the most watched and most funded news organization, but much of it is for the wrong reasons. Some of the claims made by "news anchors" are so far right it has been often compared to satire. How many Fox News parodies have I seen? Hundreds. How many NPR parodies have I seen? How many NPR parodies have you seen? ;)

Anyway, because you refuse to answer my question, I'll go right to my point. If Catholics "aren't allowed" to go any further left than the rightmost extremities of the Republican party, our discussions become very... one sided. It inaccurately portrays the church as a platform for the Republican party, and we "liberals" are basically left to either throw away all of our non-Republican-party-approved views or risk being branded a heretic. I seriously doubt God wants to divide his church in that way.

[quote="JChapel, post:1, topic:218899"]

--James Chapel

[/quote]

I listen to NPR all the time but there is definitely a bias there. They do stories on the liberal side all the time while stories with any conservative view are often few and far between. The guests on the talk shows tend to be very liberal as well. I still don't think they are quite as blatant about it as the cable or regular tv news.

:cool:

[quote="JChapel, post:18, topic:218899"]
Fox News may be the most watched and most funded news organization, but much of it is for the wrong reasons. Some of the claims made by "news anchors" are so far right it has been often compared to satire. How many Fox News parodies have I seen? Hundreds. How many NPR parodies have I seen? How many NPR parodies have you seen? ;)

Anyway, because you refuse to answer my question, I'll go right to my point. If Catholics "aren't allowed" to go any further left than the rightmost extremities of the Republican party, our discussions become very... one sided. It inaccurately portrays the church as a platform for the Republican party, and we "liberals" are basically left to either throw away all of our non-Republican-party-approved views or risk being branded a heretic. I seriously doubt God wants to divide his church in that way.

[/quote]

[LEFT]You asked for our opinion of NPR. I gave it. You then launched into an attack on Fox news and asked for my opinion on that. My opinion is ,as a liberal ,you're required to attack Fox news in any thread about politics in the first dozen poster so. Whether Fox News or MSNBC are biased is irrelevant as they receive no tax payer funding to do so. NPR does.

[/LEFT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.