What do you think of POMP AND CIRCUMSTANCE in our Church???

So, we’ve seen a lot of it recently. What do you think of all the Pomp and Circumstance in the Catholic Church? :slight_smile:

I favor

more Pomp :yup:

less Circumstance :nope:

I love it! So much honor we give to those who are our leaders, and so much more to God, and Jesus present in the Eucharist! Why not worship with the eyes as well as the voice, and the body, and the scent :smiley:

Protestants are just jealous that they don’t have some place as cool as St. Peter’s.

I love it. It makes me cry. While watching all the Papal happenings the past few weeks, it made me feel like I was part of something so special and SO BIG. I LOVE the Litany of the Saints. It just grabs at my soul to think of all those Saints being invoked. I love being Catholic:)

God Bless
Giannawannabe

Form and message inform and reinforce each other. We have a liturgical and sacramental faith–just as the sacraments reflect in form and rite the grace they impart (baptism cleanses, eucharist nourishes, etc), so to the liturgy reinforces Catholic theology and teaching.

The same can be said about architecture–the decoration and iconography of a CAtholic church are not (or should not) be mere window dressing, but reinforce tenets of the Church; the actually shape of the church historically has enhanced the liturgy.

So, what is my point in all of this? Of course I like the pomp–done properly and appropriately the pomp is not extraneous to or distracting from our faith–it at the same time reflests and reinforces our faith. We (should) use incense, ring bells, employ vessels precious metal for the Eucharist because we believe it becomes the Body and Blood of Christ; we have pictures and statues of saints because of their particular role in our theology–it’s not just for show So too the pope is surrounded by pomp because we believe the Bishopof Rome inherits from Peter a very special place in the relationship between God and man.

Finally, much of the pomp has been practiced for centuries. We should preserve these forms, at least in part, because they reinforce Catholic emphasis on tradition and universality (across both time and space).

When worshipng the Trinity there cant be enough Magisty aand ceremony. I am taken aback at you use of the term “Pomp and Circumstance” - it sounds cheap.

I’ve had non-Catholics tell me that they heard the Litany of the Saints for the first time during the funeral for John Paul the Great and were so moved by it. Now THAT’s awe-inspiring!

In the Eastern Catholic Church, we ‘do it up’ EVERY Sunday.

As a way to introduct the Liturgy of the Word and the Liturgy of the Eucharist, we have what are call processions withing the church.
The ‘Little Entrance’ is what the West is The Liturgy of the Word. What we do is at a point in the prayers, the priest will take the Gospel Book and with the Altar servers in front of the priest, will process out fromt he sancutary and process around one outside of the church and them come up the main asile and then stand in front of the church, with the people chanting prayers. As altar servers, we are dressed in birght vestments during Paacha. One person holds the crucifix, we also holds religious items and candles in the procession.

THen for the Liturgy of the Eucharist, which we call the Great Entrance, the same procession takes place BUT this time the Priest will process with the Bread nd the Wine which will be presented for our participation of the Liturgy and will become the precious Body Blood Soul and Divinity of OUr Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I have grown great apreciation for pomp and circumstance because IT IS OUR way of particiaption and appreciation of everything Almight God has given us.

One more thought:
When the Ark of the Covenant, AND the First Temple in the Old Testament, were being Constructed, God the Father DID NOT tell Moses (Later Solomon) to make it out of ‘just anything’…it was to be the BEST that the Israelites had with them.

I think it is earthly glorification of God. It is inspiring!

I love it! Give God our best! :thumbsup:

[quote=Exporter]When worshipng the Trinity there cant be enough Magisty aand ceremony. I am taken aback at you use of the term “Pomp and Circumstance” - it sounds cheap.
[/quote]

When a poster puts up a poll where…

1. It wonders what the Protestant’s think
  2. Has more negative replies than positive

It makes me wonder how much majesty the poster likes.

I’ll take it all!

If you are referring to the past two-and-one-half weeks, I did not think there was any excessive ceremonial. Things were done just as they would be in a parish – except you have that phenomenal real estate as a backdrop.

Well, Pomp and Circumstance has always been one of my favorite Elgar works. . .very nice on the organ instead of the keyboards, I hasten to add.

[quote=netmilsmom]When a poster puts up a poll where…

I’ll take it all!
[/quote]

Yes, I wonder how everyone thinks, even ‘Protestants’. Everyone is welcome to vote on my polls. I merely try and think of answers that cover a very broad spectrum of opinion on a given subject. So, I try and put myself in other folk’s shoes with the answers.

I have heard some negative talk from non-Catholics who are put off by all the elaborate trappings they’ve seen on TV lately, hence this Poll. So, as you can see, I offered negative replies as well as positive. I thought that’s what you were supposed to do with polls? Of course, feel free to ignore them, I’m sure lots of folks here do. :slight_smile:

I don’t care what protestants think about it all, because I know they don’t fully understand what’s happening, or the history behind it all.

I think it’s beautiful, God gave us great art, and traditions and if we don’t use it to glorify Him, what good is it.

[quote=netmilsmom]When a poster puts up a poll where…

[/quote]

I was Protestant and believe me they do criticize the Catholic Church for " Pomp and Circumstance" so, I do think that this is a well balanced poll…
As far as the Pollster goes… I don’t think that your questioning of her motives was very nice…rather sarcastic, IMO… especially regarding this comment:

As long as it is done TO THE GREATER GLORY OF GOD .

The protestants are complaining about it like crazy. They can’t escape the enormous global impact that 2000 years of tradition has. So since most have a tradition no more than 100-200 years-or the life span of current pastor-they couldn’t muster up that much pomp if they wanted to.

There was a letter to the editor admonishing the Pope for living in such lavish surroundings and having such lavish ceremonies in his honour. Well, did they notice how much of the lavishness he bequeathed to anyone, or what his personal ‘estate’ consisted of? Nothing.

It is for the glory of God.

I would like to see how many of these huge churches that are usually called, “so and so Ministries” are personal holdings of the pastor’s ‘business’.

At this point, I’m the single voter smack dab in the middle. I guess it does make me feel uncomfortable at times, but only because I know it offends some believers (who choose to focus on as aspect of the church they don’t understand). Right or wrong, that is the reality of it. It also pains me that even some Catholics misunderstand it.

At the same time, I rejoice that these sacred practices are part and parcel of what has assisted the Church to cleave to the truth, as taught by Jesus. Double, or triple, edged sword.

Jim

[quote=Exporter]When worshipng the Trinity there cant be enough Magisty aand ceremony. I am taken aback at you use of the term “Pomp and Circumstance” - it sounds cheap.
[/quote]

Wow!
Sorry if I offended anyone with stating the obvious to the above poster.

Opinions go both ways. My apologies to anyone who was offended by my answer.

I really need to rethink what I should respond to. If a poll has seven responses to choose from and four of them are negative, it may not be wise to look at the big picture.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.