What do you think of the movie "RITE"

Does it show what a Priest would really do during an exorcism? Does it show anything related to that? ... I did love that movie. I also watched "Priest" last night and It really does not depict the Catholic Church."Priest" was about Vampires and how the Priest were warriors. Oh well, what do you think on the RITE

I have watched "The Rite." This movie has an overall message that belief is right. This movie details the conversion of an atheist unbeliever who later sees multiple exorcisms and comes to find faith in God.

My only qualm and worry about this movie is an inappropriate scene where the young priest (the main actor) was in a car and next to him in traffic was a pretty girl on a motor cycle. The dress of the girl on the motor cycle was slightly lifted up so that her leg could be seen. The priest who was in the car gave the girl next to him a lustful look as the young priest was staring at the girl's leg.

This scene was both sexually inappropriate and suggestive to the audience. I don't think that they should have added this scene into the movie.

What do you guys think? Have anyone seen that scene in the movie?

[quote="JD27076, post:1, topic:254048"]
Does it show what a Priest would really do during an exorcism? Does it show anything related to that? ... I did love that movie. I also watched "Priest" last night and It really does not depict the Catholic Church."Priest" was about Vampires and how the Priest were warriors. Oh well, what do you think on the RITE

[/quote]

I watched *The Rite *in the theater, and was much disappointed. It manifested a profanation of the sacred rituals of the Church by the exorcist priest which Anthony Hopkins depicted. More than my disgust at the actions of the exorcist priest depicted was the absolute horror at the despicable behaviors of the deacon depicted. I was totally aghast that he would simulate the Last Rites for the dying woman at the beginning rather than drag or carry over the injured priest to give her at least a real absolution. Such tasteless and damnable behavior...

If you read the books by Fr. Gabriele Amorth, chief Vatican exorcist, or heaven forbid, even Fr. Malachi Martin's *Hostage to the Devil *(which sensationalist rubbish I would not recommend to anyone), the priests are very clear that all care must be taken when dealing with the preternatural evil spirits. This includes keeping the sacred rituals sacred, not profaning them by absolving a non-penitent, interrupting them by phone calls, or usurping the office of the exorcist (by the deacon depicted in the movie).

I would say The Rite was definitely "the wrong." I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

It was sensationalist garbage full of presumption and profanity.

-- Nicole

I saw it and I thought it was a wonderful movie.. likely very dramatized for hollywood.. but seemed true to what I've heard regarding exorcism on CAL (they did a revue of the movie as well IIRC)..

I recall the skirt scene.. I didn't think it was very scandalous.

[quote="Cyclophile, post:4, topic:254048"]
I saw it and I thought it was a wonderful movie.. likely very dramatized for hollywood.. but seemed true to what I've heard regarding exorcism on CAL (they did a revue of the movie as well IIRC)..

I recall the skirt scene.. I didn't think it was very scandalous.

[/quote]

I liked the movie was well.

I thought the "skirt scene" was included to show that anybody can be tempted by evil, even priests.

I really enjoyed this movie. I think it depicted the Church in a positive light and really handled the subject matter well.

You should read some memior books on this subject . The Vaticans exorcists is not a memior per say but it is a book about exorcism over there in Italy and how the day to day life of exorcist is . It is very interesting .I believe there are over 266 exorcists in a particular area over in Italy . You will find that even John Paul II exercised some demons as well. SOme outside the church will give us bs for the time Pope John Paul II had an exorcism with a 19 year old girl who was violent and was unsuccessful . If we refer to scripture the Apostles themselves (among them the first Pope) were unsuccessful at times . If you remember prayer and fasting sometimes is the only way to go . Not all exorcisms are successful .

the book is definitely better if you're looking for reality. The movie, while containing some reality, is also entertainment.

[quote="yablabo, post:3, topic:254048"]
I watched *The Rite *in the theater, and was much disappointed. It manifested a profanation of the sacred rituals of the Church by the exorcist priest which Anthony Hopkins depicted. More than my disgust at the actions of the exorcist priest depicted was the absolute horror at the despicable behaviors of the deacon depicted. I was totally aghast that he would simulate the Last Rites for the dying woman at the beginning rather than drag or carry over the injured priest to give her at least a real absolution. Such tasteless and damnable behavior...

If you read the books by Fr. Gabriele Amorth, chief Vatican exorcist, or heaven forbid, even Fr. Malachi Martin's *Hostage to the Devil *(which sensationalist rubbish I would not recommend to anyone), the priests are very clear that all care must be taken when dealing with the preternatural evil spirits. This includes keeping the sacred rituals sacred, not profaning them by absolving a non-penitent, interrupting them by phone calls, or usurping the office of the exorcist (by the deacon depicted in the movie).

I would say The Rite was definitely "the wrong." I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

It was sensationalist garbage full of presumption and profanity.

-- Nicole

[/quote]

The Rite is a really good movie with excellent acting. I would recommend it to everyone.
Dramatic licence has been taken. Its a movie after all. Very good entertainment.

The character of Michael Novac is based on Father Gary Thomas who also served as a consultant for the movie. He said the exorcisms in the film were "very accurate" but of course he added that expected dramatic licence was taken.

For example, in the movie Michael Novac is a young agnostic and not yet a priest who worked for his father's funeral parlour whereas the real life priest Father Gary Thomas was 52, already a priest, had no belief doubts, and was looking for a new assignment. Father Gary had actually worked during one summer with a mortician.

In the movie the possessed woman spat out nails but this is not true. Possessed peole do not spit nails.

Anthony Hopkins character (Father Lucas) became possessed from the woman he was exorcising. This is not true. The priest, on whose Hopkins character is based, Father Carmine de Fillips says possession is not a contagious disease. It does not jump from one person to another.

In the movie the possessed woman saw into the priest's past. This is not true. Possessed people cannot see into someone's past.

In the movie Hopkins character has lots of cats which are drawn to his power. That is not true. Father Carmine has only one unhealthy tabby cat that comes and goes as it pleases.

What is true in the movie?

The exorcisms are accurate.
There was a lecture-style course for Would-Be Exorcists in Rome.
The characters of Michael Novac and Father Lucas (Hopkins) are based on real priests who are exorcists.
Black toads do hang around the possessed.
Sometimes possessed people are gross (e.g. vomitting large amounts of fluid).
All exorcists in Italy have cellphones.

[/quote]

I would recommend you read the book on which the movie is based before you watch it. The exorcisms are authentic.

I thought it was a good movie.

What is also true....the intercession of saints during exorcisms.

From the book, I also learned how the demons are forced into speaking with reverence when the BVM is present.

[/quote]

I reviewed the movie on my blog here if you want to read it. :o It touches on some of what actually goes on in an exorcism.

And I thought the book was much better. :o

Please provide facts to back this up. I can assure you the third statement is false, demons of course can know all of our past sins.

ugh. I thought the movie was a bunch of typical horror nonsense. It had a hint here and there of authenticity, but definitely as it progressed, it was just a typical horror movie

Ridiculous.

The book, however, is excellent!!

Satan and his minions CANNOT read our minds. Only God can do that.

[quote="thistle, post:14, topic:254048"]
Satan and his minions CANNOT read our minds. Only God can do that.

[/quote]

I did not say they could read our minds, but they definately know of our sins.

Can I ask why you say this?

[quote="MarcoPolo, post:16, topic:254048"]
Can I ask why you say this?

[/quote]

Satan does not have the power of God!

I agree. It was not gory and I appreciated it.

I understand that, but God has many powers that are also native to His creatures like free will, sentience, intelligence, etc… So why do you identify with certainty that a demon cannot read a mind? Did you read something from a member of the clergy?

[quote="NguyenKimPhat, post:2, topic:254048"]
I have watched "The Rite." This movie has an overall message that belief is right. This movie details the conversion of an atheist unbeliever who later sees multiple exorcisms and comes to find faith in God.

My only qualm and worry about this movie is an inappropriate scene where the young priest (the main actor) was in a car and next to him in traffic was a pretty girl on a motor cycle. The dress of the girl on the motor cycle was slightly lifted up so that her leg could be seen. The priest who was in the car gave the girl next to him a lustful look as the young priest was staring at the girl's leg.

This scene was both sexually inappropriate and suggestive to the audience. I don't think that they should have added this scene into the movie.

What do you guys think? Have anyone seen that scene in the movie?

[/quote]

That lust was the wound the demon was going to exploit. One of my thoughts when happened was, I guess he hadn't confessed those sins.

As for the leg scene, it was the only scene that depicts the sinfull act happening rather than merely referred to. I think?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.