What do you think of the 'not to be revived' option?

A ‘not to be revived’ option is now part of the paperwork a resident or the family of a resident at some nursing homes are required to fill out.

For example if a resident has a cardiac arrest or a stroke they are NOT given CPR or resuscitation of any form.

In most such cases the resident/patient is very old and has multiple medical conditions but that’s not always the case.

Any views on this?

Rove

I’ve had a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) on my advance directive since I was 23. There are some tight stipulations, e.g. no chance of meaning function, very very poor quality of life, that kind of thing. If I would be fine if they did it, they the can. But if I am a goner one way or the other, the sooner the better.

My SIL is 64, dev. delayed with a very bad heart condition. We have signed a do not resuscitate order. Her quality of life is what we considered in making this decision. The nursing home cannot withold CPR unless the patient or guardian has signed consent along with the persons Dr. (At least in our state.)

Mom of 5

I (and most of my healthcare worker friends) am going to have DNR tattooed to my forehead.

Recently I had to help code a demented 89 year old women with a terminal disease who had a DNR at the nursing home, but her family decided to reverse it at the hospital. I was praying for her and begging her forgiveness (silently, of course!!) the whole time we coded. It was terrible seeing the terror in her eyes while we pounded her chest, pumped her full of drugs, and surrounded her with bright lights and strange faces.

That is NOT the way I want to go. I’d much rather go naturally, given pain meds to make me comfortable, and surrounded by my loved ones in a peaceful environment.

It’s a personal decision, but the Church does not require us to go to extraordinary means to prolong our lives.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.