What Do You Think of This DVD Player?

A filtering DVD player:
familysafemedia.com/edited_movies_-_parental_contr.html
Unfortunately most clean dvd stores (edited for content dvds) are going out of business because of lawsuits from the movie companies. So I was wondering about this alternative. What are your thoughts?

I was going to recommend also checking out ClearPlay, but it appears that that is exactly the same player that Family Safe Media has on their site.

I do not own one nor have I seen one in action, but it seems like a pretty neat idea. I spent some time looking into it a few years back. You can download updates from their website onto a USB flash drive for all the latest DVDs as they come out. And they have tons of different control settings that allow you to tailor the viewing experience to your sensibilities.

There are so many movies that are great except for "that one scene" which you wish wasn't there. This player seems like it would fix that.

I do wonder about how it works with some of those raunchier comedies. You'd think it would have to shorten the movie to about 15 minutes. :p

I just checked and Amazon actually carries the player, so maybe some of the reviews will be helpful:

amazon.com/ClearPlay-HD-Upconvert-Player-Membership/dp/B002YPRW7S/

It appears that you have to maintain your membership (at ~$80 per year) in order to continue using the filters. If you let your membership lapse, it becomes just a standard DVD player.

When I visited the Friars at EWTN, they have Clearplay (I think). It seems to work well. We watched What about Bob? (Fr. Anthony is a fan as am I) and it skipped a scene filled with profanities. Seems to work relatively well and I believe you can choose what to filter and what not to filter.

The OP mentions clean DVD stores and edited DVDs and lawsuits. What instigated the lawsuits?

[quote="Arkadin, post:4, topic:228863"]

The OP mentions clean DVD stores and edited DVDs and lawsuits. What instigated the lawsuits?

[/quote]

The movie studios argued that third parties have no right to make an unauthorized, edited version of their films as it violates both copyright and artistic integrity.

I know some places were selling edited DVD packages where they would sell the original DVD along with the edited version (to get around the whole piracy thing), but evidently that was not enough to win the legal battles.

Im glad these clean censorship places are dying out. They have no right to profit from the studios, filmmakers, etc.

When a movie is shown on TV and is censored that is one thing because the studios entered into a contract to ALLOW that. These other places either:

A Didnt try to enter into a contract
B Were refused but still decided to do it anyway.

As an adult you should be mature enough to censor yourself. Either dont watch R rated flicks or stick your fingers in your ears and close your eyes at the naughty bits. :shrug:

Well, if they are editing the films without permission and then selling edited DVDs (would the money go to the company that released the film or the people who edited it? ), that is certainly wrong...no matter what the intentions are.

I think the DVD player is the better choice.

I have to say the percentage of bad or indifferent reviews on Amazon would preclude me for ever buying anything from that company mentioned in the Original Post. The constant theme in many of the reviews was poor customer service, misleading information,shoddy build quality etc.

[quote="gatewood1988, post:1, topic:228863"]
A filtering DVD player:
familysafemedia.com/edited_movies_-_parental_contr.html
Unfortunately most clean dvd stores (edited for content dvds) are going out of business because of lawsuits from the movie companies. So I was wondering about this alternative. What are your thoughts?

[/quote]

Why not just wait for the movie to show up on "free" broadcast network television?

Movies are also edited on basic cable with commercial breaks.

So, the TV networks themselves do a pretty thankless (and lawsuit-free) job of editing movies for broadcast.

[quote="Arkadin, post:7, topic:228863"]
Well, if they are editing the films without permission and then selling edited DVDs (would the money go to the company that released the film or the people who edited it? ), that is certainly wrong...no matter what the intentions are.

I think the DVD player is the better choice.

[/quote]

From what I read, those places that sold edited DVDs would sell them more as a bonus disc bundled with the original DVD (similar to when Walmart or Target will package in some exclusive extra for a particular new release). Thus, the movie companies would make the same profit off of those copies as they do off any other DVD sold.

Still, it was questionable legally, and from what I read, it seems that the question has been settled by the courts that it is not legal for them to do it (hence why that market has tapered off).

For the DVD player, though, it's simply running a software program that knows in advance when to skip a scene so you don't have to fumble for the remote yourself. I don't really see how that could be considered copyright infringement in any way, shape, or form.

[quote="JharekCarnelian, post:8, topic:228863"]
I have to say the percentage of bad or indifferent reviews on Amazon would preclude me for ever buying anything from that company mentioned in the Original Post. The constant theme in many of the reviews was poor customer service, misleading information,shoddy build quality etc.

[/quote]

I agree. After reading the reviews on Amazon, I am less inclined to think that this particular player is a good investment.

[quote="havana1, post:9, topic:228863"]
Why not just wait for the movie to show up on "free" broadcast network television?

Movies are also edited on basic cable with commercial breaks.

So, the TV networks themselves do a pretty thankless (and lawsuit-free) job of editing movies for broadcast.

[/quote]

But movies don't show up that frequently on network TV and some never do. But I do think it's a nice way to catch some of the more crass comedies out there. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.