What do you think of this Presbyterian quote?

“The law sends us to the gospel that we may be justified; and the gospel sends us to the law again to inquire what is our duty as those who are justified…The law sends us to the gospel for our justification; the gospel sends us to the law to frame our way of life.”

-Samuel Bolton

I think it needs more context…:shrug:

Peace
James

Paul broached this subject and said that the Law
is our tutor who helps us “graduate” to Grace! (Gal.
3:24) Christ redeemed us from the “curse of the
Law” v.13 by becoming accursed for us. (see Rom.
8:3; 2 Cor. 5:21), Is the Law then done away with?
No, it keeps us going to Christ and His Grace every
time we commit sin!!! So the saying by Samuel Bolton
is acceptable.

Furthermore, the devil uses the Law as a weapon
of accusation against us, so… that drives us to
LEARN MORE about the Law so that we can
be FREED to serve our Lord and Saviour!!!

The law as in the Old testament law sends Christ? It certainly anticipates Christ but does it send him? In what way? It’s a bit of a vague quote.

What it means by sends, is, sends the sinner to look to Christ and His gospel for the peace that the law cannot give.

=Venite_Adoremus;12900435]“The law sends us to the gospel that we may be justified; and the gospel sends us to the law again to inquire what is our duty as those who are justified…The law sends us to the gospel for our justification; the gospel sends us to the law to frame our way of life.”

-Samuel Bolton

IF the author understood FULLY what is proclaimed it is a very profound statement.

However, in my experience very often it is NOT noted that Paul speaks of both the “law” [613 added to the 10 commandments ; MAN"S work] and thee LAW the 10 Commandments; God’s WORK].

One must recolonize critical diffedrence if a correct understand is to be gained.

Further, this implies a realy often not existing that the bible is CORRECLY personally understood.:rolleyes:

2nd Peter 2: 16-20 "16] For we have not by following artificial fables, made known to you the power, and presence of our Lord Jesus Christ; but we were eyewitnesses of his greatness. [17] For he received from God the Father, honour and glory: this voice coming down to him from the excellent glory: This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him. [18] And this voice we heard brought from heaven, when we were with him in the holy mount. 19] And we have the more firm prophetical word: whereunto you do well to attend, as to a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: [20] Understanding this first, that no prophecy of scripture is made by private interpretation"

Then read please Mt. 10:1-8
Mt. 16:15-19
Mt. 28:16–20

**ALL of which are to the Apostles directly and exclusivey

One God
can have only One set of Faith beliefs:)

God Bless you

Patrick

I READ the passages from Matt., what is it you want to point out??
They have NO bearing on the Law sending us to the gospel
or the gospel sending us to the Law!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.