What do you think of this saying?

you may have heard this before. I heard it at a 12Step meeting yrs ago… (I’m not an alcoholic, but would go to meetings for other “issues” / reasons)…

anyhow it goes like this:

Religion is for people who dont’ want to go to Hell.

Spirituality is for those who have been there…

I always wondered: What if you are into both?

are thye mutually exclusive - spirituality and religion?? :confused:

also… are there any people out there who haven’t been through some kind of hell?? (people over the age of 5 that is…) hmmm… :confused:

Don’t agree - it leaves out too many kinds of religion and spirituality, and seems to imply the two are necessarily opposed.

STM that in this life, Hell is within - and so, is, is not “gone to”.

no comprendo… that last thing… :confused:

i think whovever first said this meant that there are peple who just go to Church because they think that is doing their obligation to God… and he will see that and let them into Heaven… and then there are pepole who need God and cling to him becaues, well, because life is Hell…

life isn’t hell for those who have massive $$ and can do wahtever they want… but then it is sometimes hell for them too… they lose loved ones also and all their $$ can’t change that…

but still, it seems that some people (the poor, victims of child abuse…) have more hell than others…

hope all those unfortunates are offering up thier sufferings… for all those causes they can offer it up for… expiation of past sins being probably the most important…

Spirituality is a part of religion. There are many spiritualities in Catholicism, for example. People who claim they are spiritual but not religious mean they’re dumb and uneducated.

:smiley:

maybe so…

they are certainly uneducated about Catholicism…

it may be a pride thing… The I know better than any church mentality…

an excuse not to go to church…

but they may have more than just taht excuse… .after all, i wouldn’t go to church either if i couldn’t even figure out which church was the real one… out of 35,000 or so… :rolleyes:

pretty sad, all this confusion and pepole not having Christ becasuae of that kind of thing…

and before i figured out the Roman Catholic Church was the ONE…

i didn’t go to Church except once in a blue moon…

i tried to live a Christian life though…

didn’t work out too well… :frowning: :crying::banghead:

SO glad to be HOME… :slight_smile: :highprayer:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.