What do you think the baptism of john was in acts 19?

im trying to find out what religion is the right one is it okay if I ask alot of questions about bible verses?

Paul explains that in Acts 19:4

what I mean is catholics think you have to get baptized to be saved, but it seems like they went baptized by john the baptist and were not saved yet?

Sounds like you could benefit from a Bible with cross references and commentary, such as the Haydock Bible, the Confraternity Bible: New Testament, the New American Bible, Revised Edition, or the Christian Community Bible.

That is not quite correct. Catholics think you **ordinarily **have to get baptized to be saved. The addition of the word “ordinarily” is important because Catholics admit that there are many extraordinary situations in which a person can be saved without getting baptized.

It is the Christ-won graces associated with sacramental baptism that a person needs to be saved. They are ordinarily and certainly received in sacramental baptism but God is also free to give them to whomever He wants, whenever He wants, even apart from sacramental baptism. As the Catechism of the Catholic Church says, “God has bound salvation to the sacrament of Baptism, but he himself is not bound by his sacraments.” (paragraph 1257)

Because those saving graces are so important and because we can delude ourselves into thinking that we are the exception and have received them apart from sacramental baptism when we in fact have not and because of the certainty of their reception in sacramental baptism, it is prudent for every believer to get baptized, just to be on the safe side. I can’t think a single unbaptized believer mentioned in the Bible who could get baptized who did not eventually get baptized.

As was already mentioned Paul explains in verse 4

4 And Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus.”

John also tells us the difference in Mark 1:8 I have baptized you with water; but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

John tells us that his Baptism is just a symbol where as Jesus’ is sacramental.

Also, Jesus gives us the proper form for Baptizing someone in:
Matthew 28:19
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

John the Baptist would not have used this form because Jesus had not instituted it yet.

Baptism isn’t just getting wet, it has to be done the way the Lord intended to receive the Holy Spirit.

The Catholic Church was instituted by Christ Himself. He made His Apostles Priests.
Other churches came along much later…Jesus gave us the Sacraments to give us grace.
Others church sprang up in defiance or rejection of the teaching of the true Church.

God bless you on your journey.
You’ve received some awesome resources. I recommend getting a good Church History book as well. There is much that is simply cast aside.
I do hope you consider the Catholic Church.

Take heart…the Holy Spirit is at work in the world. I believe He is calling you to Himself.
Be assured of our prayers for you.

It is explained in the bible that John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. John was preparing the way for Jesus, the Lamb of God.

It wasn’t as yet a Baptism into the Life of Christ,

Yes of course that is fine (let me add as a convert…I discovered the Catholic Church is the Church Jesus founded …in Jesus and his Church is yes true life).

Johns Baptism was for repentance…it is only with Christian Baptism that one will be baptized in water and the Spirit …and it is the baptism that brings new birth. True life.

The baptism John offers is one of repentance, a sign that is an invitation to conversion, to a change of life, because One is coming who will “baptize with the Holy Spirit and with fire” (3: 16).

~ Pope Benedict XVI

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/homilies/2010/documents/hf_ben-xvi_hom_20100110_battesimo_en.html

“Returning now to the Gospel passage, let us seek to better understand what is happening today. St Mark recounts that it was just when John the Baptist was preaching on the banks of the River Jordan, proclaiming the urgent need for conversion in view of the now imminent coming of the Messiah, that Jesus, who was among the crowds, presented himself to be baptized. John’s Baptism is indisputably a Baptism of penance, very different from the sacrament that Jesus was to institute.”

~Pope Benedict XVI

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/homilies/2009/documents/hf_ben-xvi_hom_20090111_battesimo_en.html

I agree with Dorothy…

Going back to your original question.

What do you think the baptism of John was in Acts 19.

Acts 19:4 “Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.”

As it says it was a baptism of repentance or the washing away of sins which was started as a rite in the Old Testament with the Isrealites which John the Baptist was doing. That didn’t mean that brought on the communion with God thus making a person a child of God or Saved as in a Christian Baptism because the gates of heaven were not opened because Christ had not died or risen yet. That didn’t happen until the 'Christ’ian baptism baptized people with the Holy Spirit because of being baptized into Christ who leads the way into heaven. So that communion with God which was lost with Adam was restored through the New Adam, Jesus Christ.

That said, one is endanger of losing salvation if they throw away that free ‘unmerited’ gift of salvation gained through Baptism due to their own actions. It’s like giving back a free gift or tossing it away like it’s nothing special. We must do our best to do the will of God thus honoring the gift that has been given us. That is the way of the Lord.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.