What do you think?

The Home Secretary of Finland, Europe, did make a speach as I understand, a few days ago, where she stated that sometimes it right to not follow the law but do as The Bible says. OK, she is a Lutherian, but against abortion and gay-marriage not to mention female priesthood. As a Minister of intern affairs she is also responsibel for what the police do, and the church in Finland, which is the Lutherian Church. She has been accused in the papers for her speach as well as many have resign from the Lutherian Church following her (bold?) words. So, what do you think about her action. IMO I think she did both right and wrong. She is a devoted Christian with a high moral standard, but as a minister, bound to follow her wov a minster give when they are appointed. If there is something I have learned is that you can’t eat the cake and save it as well.

Very tricky situation - very little information.
Is there an article to link to on this?

It might depend on where and in what context the statement was made.

Peace
James

Sorry, no link in English.

She was speaking at some sort of a annual meeting for “old fashion” Lutherans. I might find this news on some German new-site but then I have to translate it, I reckon. But I will keep on digging and maybe get lucky and find a link in English, I do doubt that but I try.

Given what you have told us, any vow which would preclude her saying that would be a bad vow!

It seems that a lot of people believe that governance and religion should be so separate that a religious person should shuck his beliefs at the door… but that is absurd–at the very least, why should one set of beliefs be the basis for government rather than another? And why should someone who holds religous beliefs and who was elected for whom she is which includes her religous beliefs be silenced in that one area?

But in the fullness of truth, Catholic teaching, we know that even the governments of the world are subject to Christ and for that reason should give Him and the Church the proper respect and recognition which God mandates.

I do agree.

What she, and that was not her goal, that one is for sure, did, or what her statement did, was causing more then two hundred persons to leave the Lutheran Church. So I think she did make more harm then good. But, as a former Lutherian I can only say that I don’t think the Lutherian Church did miss any important members. However, a lot of money. (Church tax is taken automaticly from a Finnish citizens salary, it is about 1,5%, monthly.) Many are depending on the finacial aid the Lutherian Church give to the poor people. So she did cause harm.

But what she say was maybe a bit to bold, and she has been take back a few words, but we all know that it is not something that work. She did speak as she did, and that’s it. And I myself find it a bit odd that a persons who also are the highest authority when it comes to what the police do, quite frankly tell people to ignore the law if there is a better way in The Bible. St.Paul do teache that we should obey the authority. (The police.)

So, IMO she did what she should do as a Christian, but not as the Home Secretay.

I personally would resign, but that is only my opinion.

There are many things in this evil world that are legal (abortion, same-sex marriage, etc.), but that doesn’t make it morally right in the eyes of God. The Secretary stood up for the Truth (something that not too many people are doing nowadays). I totally agree with her and applaud her. :thumbsup:

ROMANS 12:2
Do not conform to the pattern of this world

SIRACH 4:28
Stand up for what is right, even if it costs you your life; the Lord God will be fighting on your side.

SIRACH 15:14-17
When, in the beginning, the Lord created human beings, he left them free to do as they wished. If you want to, you can keep the Lord’s commands. You can decide whether you will be loyal to him or not. He has placed fire and water before you; reach out and take whichever you want. You have a choice between life and death; you will get whichever you choose.

Did these people leave the Lutheran church because the Home Secretary said that it’s better to follow the Bible than the law if the two conflict?
If so, they were not very good Christians.
St Paul said to obey God rather than men. He was strictly forbidden to preach, and did so anyway.
Abortion and gay marriage are against God’s law, and should not be promoted. I don’t think the woman should resign, I think she should help her country return to a more godly way of thinking.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.