What do you use tea tree oil for?

I bought some to use on my feet for after I get a pedicure at a shop to help avoid fungus and other nastiness. But I know it can be used for other stuff.

Does anyone use tea tree oil for anything?

~Liza

Is a disinfectant and can also be used as a shampoo, good for putting on cuts and bruises, when i needed surgery the nurse told me to put it in my bath to help keep infections away.

I sometimes use it in my homemade cleaners and I’ll put a couple drops in the laundry occasionally.

I gather it's also quite a good nasal decongestant.

You asked—so I’m gonna tell ya. SNORT!

We use it to remove warts on the muzzles of horses. Also, Prep H will remove the warts. :smiley:

[quote="Jerrysgirl, post:3, topic:208405"]
I sometimes use it in my homemade cleaners and I'll put a couple drops in the laundry occasionally.

[/quote]

How does it help in the laundry?

[quote="DexUK, post:4, topic:208405"]
I gather it's also quite a good nasal decongestant.

[/quote]

I can believe that - it sure is strong smelling!!!!

[quote="horselvr, post:5, topic:208405"]
You asked---so I'm gonna tell ya. SNORT!

We use it to remove warts on the muzzles of horses. Also, Prep H will remove the warts. :D

[/quote]

LOL!!!! Well, not exactly what I was looking for, but you just never know when you might end up with a horse with muzzle warts!!! :D

~Liza

[quote="lizaanne, post:6, topic:208405"]
How does it help in the laundry?

[/quote]

It helps clean out the machine, disinfect cleaning rags/dish towels/etc., and for those of us who use cloth diapers/mama pads, it helps clean those really well, too. Thanks for the thread, Liza... I need some TTO... :D

[quote="Truly_Beloved, post:7, topic:208405"]
It helps clean out the machine, disinfect cleaning rags/dish towels/etc., and for those of us who use cloth diapers/mama pads, it helps clean those really well, too. Thanks for the thread, Liza... I need some TTO... :D

[/quote]

Interesting!! How much do you add to a load - say of a full load of bath towels or bed linens? Or my husbands socks!! LOL

~Liza

[quote="lizaanne, post:8, topic:208405"]
Interesting!! How much do you add to a load - say of a full load of bath towels or bed linens? Or my husbands socks!! LOL

[/quote]

:rotfl:

Half a teaspoon should do the trick, although you may need a full teaspoon for that last problem. :D Everything I've read suggests between 1/2 and 1 teaspoon, max. Some folks only use a few drops, but "a few drops" is too vague for me, since I don't know the size of their droppers or how much they consider "a few" to be.

Works wonders for squeaky tea trees. :slight_smile:

Where do you get tea tree oil?

I was thinking about tea tree oil the other day, and I meant to go looking for some, but I just have not gotten around to it yet.

I use it in laundry added to the rinse cycle, I use it for my all purpose cleaner for countertops, sinks, etc. (squirt bottle full of water with about 5-6 drops tea tree oil added), I use it in toilets after I scrub them (add a few drops in the standing water to continue the disinfection process), and sometimes I'll put a drop or two on a washcloth and add it to the dryer load to give the laundry a yummy smell (I love TTO!)

I bought a bottle at Wal-Mart.

Also, it will dry up a few acne spots too. I don't know about a really bad case of acne though.

[quote="Catholic90, post:11, topic:208405"]

I was thinking about tea tree oil the other day, and I meant to go looking for some, but I just have not gotten around to it yet.

[/quote]

The first bottle I got I bought from an online place. It was spendier for some reason but after buying the following bottles from Walmart I wonder if it was just a better, purer grade or something. It was much more potent than WMart's.

[/quote]

Mountain Rose Herbs

[quote="horselvr, post:13, topic:208405"]
I bought a bottle at Wal-Mart.

[/quote]

I totally didn't know you could get TTO at Walmart!

[quote="sanctareparata, post:14, topic:208405"]
The first bottle I got I bought from an online place. It was spendier for some reason but after buying the following bottles from Walmart I wonder if it was just a better, purer grade or something. It was much more potent than WMart's.

[/quote]

You have to be careful - some TTO is sold as pure oil, others are 5% or 10% oil dissolved in alcohol (and so less expensive). Hint: if it looks cloudy like milk, it's not pure oil.

And it's like any other oil, essential or not, there are differing levels of quality.

It is good on cuts and pimples, and as a disinfectant. Along with all the other uses stated. Very diluted, one can even use it as a natural deodorant.

[quote="LilyM, post:16, topic:208405"]
You have to be careful - some TTO is sold as pure oil, others are 5% or 10% oil dissolved in alcohol (and so less expensive). Hint: if it looks cloudy like milk, it's not pure oil.

And it's like any other oil, essential or not, there are differing levels of quality.

It is good on cuts and pimples, and as a disinfectant. Along with all the other uses stated. Very diluted, one can even use it as a natural deodorant.

[/quote]

Yes, I did think I remembered the online purchase was "pure". Though the WMart kind is very clear. Not cloudy at all. In any case, my next purchase of it will be from online....the quality was noticeably better.

[/quote]

I bought mine at Walgreen's - I think it was around $6 or so for a small bottle. Hang on, let me go look.....$7.49 for 14.7ml (.5oz). That seems a bit expensive to me. :cool:

I will have to check out Truly's online site. Tomorrow --- heading to bed for now. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

~Liza

My family uses tea tree oil quite a bit - we get it from the local health food store. We put it on minor cuts and scrapes as a disinfectant, and use it to help heal bug bites. If you get the pure oil, it can be a bit strong for directly putting on skin (although I usually use it straight), so you may want to dilute it first.

Tea Tree Oil is toxic, hence its "disinfectant" effect. Tea Tree Oil was identified by Dr. Larrian Gillespie in her ground-breaking book, You Don't Have to Live with Cystitis, as a toxin that, in her urology practice (she is now off on her "Hormone Diva" career) aggravated Urinary Tract Infections as inducing "Leaky Cell," that is, undermining cell wall integrity. Gillespie's great strides in kidney and bladder research--she has pioneered novel surgery that avoids debilitating butchery--are attributable in no small part to her back-engineering substances to avoid by monitoring her patients' reactions. UTI sufferers will show symptoms within 20 minutes after exposure. Tea Tree Oil is one such substance. I would highly recommend Silver Colloid, which is pure silver electrically released into distilled water, as an absolutely non-toxic antiseptic to which no pathogen can develop a resistance. Tea Tree Oil is also found in the coating for brown cardboard boxes--I'd avoid handling those with any frequency. In short, Tea Tree Oil is a cheap coating sold at a high price as an antiseptic. Please avoid.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.