What documents/actions will be needed for blessing a civil union?

There are friends of the family, both Catholic, who have been married in a JP marriage (courthouse) but want to get married in the Church. What documents will they need? Also, what else do they need to do?

Thanks for any information on this.

When they go meet with the priest they should bring with them their marriage certificate and recently issued (within 6 months) Certificates of Baptism if this parish is not the parish where they were baptized.

They will meet with the pastor who will determine if they are free to marry in the Church. They will do some form of marriage preparation – amount and time varies by diocese or even by parish and often depends on how long they’ve been legally married…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.