What does a conscience feel like?

What specifically does it feel like please?

No kidding,i don’t think i have one.
I must be a psychopath.
I don’t know if its related or not,but i also have depression etc.

A conscience is the inner voice of God leading toward Heaven. The conscience often speaks softly words of guilt for any wrongdoing in the face of God. We have free will whereby we can listen to this voice or not. People who have no conscience are deaf to the voice of God.

If you think you have no conscience I would suggest reading the Gospels for guidance.

It’s a “navigator”, so to speak. There’s a “pain”, a sense of being torn, or wrong, within us, which is associated with guilt when we’ve done something wrong, even if we haven’t necessarily admitted or acknowledged to ourselves that it was wrong. Likewise, there can be a sense of rightness-integrity or wholeness -when we know we’ve done the “right thing”. But, due to the fall, our consciences are somewhat compromised or dimmed because we’re exiled into a world where pride and selfishness are exalted, even if this is never openly recognized, and these traits are generally opposed to love of God and neighbor and so often come into conflict with the conscience God’s written on our hearts. And so the conscience can be hardened, where we’re longer sensitive to these feelings.

*For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and injustice of those men that detain the truth of God in injustice: Because that which is known of God is manifest in them. For God hath manifested it unto them. For the invisible things of him, from the creation of the world, are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made; his eternal power also, and divinity: so that they are inexcusable. *
Romans 1:18-20

Thanks.
So is it like a literal feeling?
It’s not like a literal voice is it cause that would be ‘creepy’ i think?
If its a literal feeling,is the feeling sort of like of guilt or something else?
Is this feeling overwhelming pain or is it bearable and not too bad to feel?

Thanks

It depends on how sensitive we are to it, how contrite we’ve become over offenses against God. The Church teaches that our consciences must be formed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.