What does a famous protestant writer do with his published anti Catholic books when he becomes Catholic?

I love to read conversion stories, and I noticed there are some converts who used to write books attacking the Church. :mad:

It made me wonder: Surely after their conversion they would not like those books to keep on spreading errors and hate against the Church, :eek: but what can they do?

Some of their books may be best sellers and protestant publishers would not want to stop printing and distributing them.:frowning:

Can convert Catholic authors do anything about this?:shrug:

No. Not unless they self-published.
But if their books were published a while ago, and if they are not selling consistently at this time, the book stores might be out of stock anyway.

They can buy up whatever stock is left from the publisher if they want.

And they can give away any money they continue to make in royalties, if they do make any, to a cause of their choice.

I would suspect that if the publishers were a Protestant publishing house then they would stop publishing the books anyway, because the author will suddenly have become a persona-non-grata, and any of his old books they sell would be advertising his conversion. If it were a secular publishing house, then they might not care.

Who are some of these “famous” authors? :confused:

The very first one I thought of is Dr. Scott Hahn who was a Presbyterian minister and is now a devout Catholic. He is a very prolific writer and has many books out there today. I am not too sure if he had many prior to his conversion, but I'd guess that he probably did. I know some famous Catholic writers, like Dean Koontz but I don't know if he is a convert, etc. Any books published bashing the faith prior to conversion would be an excellent witness to the power of the Holy Spirit and how we are all blind and can only see the truth clearly through the powerful messages from God. The humility of Scott Hahn in sublimating his own ego and pride to the will of God is a most powerful witness to all.

[quote="Used2beSherryG, post:5, topic:320210"]
The very first one I thought of is Dr. Scott Hahn who was a Presbyterian minister and is now a devout Catholic. He is a very prolific writer and has many books out there today. I am not too sure if he had many prior to his conversion, but I'd guess that he probably did. I know some famous Catholic writers, like Dean Koontz but I don't know if he is a convert, etc. Any books published bashing the faith prior to conversion would be an excellent witness to the power of the Holy Spirit and how we are all blind and can only see the truth clearly through the powerful messages from God. The humility of Scott Hahn in sublimating his own ego and pride to the will of God is a most powerful witness to all.

[/quote]

And here I was expecting you had a few big names in mind with titles to their "credit" attacking Catholicism published before they saw the light about the errors of Protestantism.

That being said, I likewise admire Scott Hahn for his willingness to follow Christ wherever he brought him. :)

I don't know if he wrote any books as a Protestant, but when Tim Staples talks about his conversion, he says that he "evangelized" a lot of Catholics right out of the Church, "and now I'm running all over the country trying to bring them back!"

In Christ,
Ellen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.