What does being an informed practicing Catholic mean to you?

What does being an informed practicing Catholic Mean?

GBY

Patrick

You know, at least, your basic Catechism (to ones level, if one is an adult knowledge shouldn’t be at a 4th grade level). Attend Mass on Sundays and Obligatory days at the least. Go to confession regularly (once every 2 or 3 months at the least). Accepts Christian morality (including in areas of the 6th and 9th commandments). Prays in some way daily.

The Church has minimal legal obligations to be considered practicing, my list is more what I view as the minimum it practically takes to function as a practicing informed Catholic.

I don’t like that phrase because what does “informed” mean?

I know some people who are great Catholics, people of great faith. Comes to mass every day, pray the rosary every day, but lack information on the Catechism, canon law, liturgy, etc. Does that mean they are uninformed Catholics? Are we talking about Catholics who have been properly formed in their faith?

Or does it mean that they are informed Catholic voters?

I’m also sure there are many dissent Catholics who would call themselves “informed, practicing Catholics” too.

So I don’t like the phrase because I think it’s too ambiguous. I like the word “orthodox,” “orthodoxy” and “orthopraxy” instead.

God Bless

Pax et Bonum! I agree that the word “informed” suggests many things and nothing. On the one hand I think it could mean knowing the basic requirements of being a Catholic and then following through by living as one. One should be prompted by the Holy Spirit to go to confession and not just make it obligatory - there needs to be a purity of intention and not just following a set of rules. Knowing about the Sacraments, how they came about and are related to scripture is important, in order to understand why one is there participating. One also would be informed by knowing the Lord’s Prayer and accepting the Apostles’ Creed as their own Creed. Yes, this could be orthodoxy…angeltime[BIBLEDRB][/BIBLEDRB]

I have no idea what that means. It sounds like a new expression used to label oneself or some other person.

I would hope that every Catholic is informed about his or her faith and does his or her best to become a better Catholic.

Hmmm. Maybe you should tell us, OP. You have it listed as your Religion, so you must have some understanding of what it means already. :slight_smile:

What exactly do you mean by informed? By informed do you mean having had proper catechetical instruction in order to defend the faith?

Thanks, that’s a good start

GBY

Great post:)

Let’s see where this leads

GBY

Thank you!

GBY

Mr too:thumbsup:

GBY

I DO:)

Let’s see how this thread goes before I share MY opinion:)

Thanks, GBY

THAT would be the ideal, but not necessarily all that I had in mind:)

Thank you and GB

I think it’s very simple: you follow Church teachings. What does that mean? We all know about Holy Days of Obligation ( in which every Sunday is included), penance, abortion, etc. If one claims to be a faithful, practicing Catholic one should only dissent from or ignore Church teaching after knowing the stated and theological grounding for the Church teaching(s) which they reject.

I know many Catholics who support, for instance, SSM and think the Church objection is simply on the basis that those in the hierarchy are hateful or feel pressured by Catholics with conservative views. They never actually read about the Church’s objections which, to me, is not being informed, faithful nor is it part of practicing the faith.

If a practicing Catholic chooses not be a faithful (which implies fidelity to Church teaching) Catholic without a theologically grounded reason (and I’d love to see a theological reason brought forth by a member of the laity that is sounder than thousands of years of thought on theological matters by clergy and other laity) than I would say that person has forgone the right to refer to his/herself as a faithful, practicing Catholic.

Patrick,

It means one is trying to cooperate with grace and live the faith yet recognizes their sinfulness. It’s a constant learning process.

It means following Christ, and the Magistgerium.

One cannot follow either if one does not know them, and one should always be growing in knowledge. In other words, it is not a static status.

For the sake of discussion {i’m the OP]

If “everyone” knows about abortion why did 47% of self professed catholic s still vote for H.C. and the Democratic Party Platform powerful commitment to abortion funding, gay “marriage” and transgender bathrooms?

And if “all” know about Sacramental Confession, why is it that only 10% -15% of sell professed catholic s take advantage of it?

I’m in total agreement with your final statement:thumbsup:

GBY

THANKS Michael, great reply

GBY

Thanks!

Great point

GBY

Pax et Bonum! Just heard a comment from Cardinal Burke, USA -
“The fruit of division is error” - He and a few other Cardinals are questioning a document recently put out by the Pope being concerned with many others about not staying with the teachings and truth of the Church.

At one point during this interview with Cardinal Burke, the topic of schism came up - “Will this cause schism?” - Well, we are in schism now, just not so defined. I know many Catholics who are separating themselves from the error in the Church although they may not flaunt it.

I think it is very sad that the Cardinals have to write a letter entitled “Dubius” to the Pope and are told and expecting they may not receive a response when they are simply caring for the Church, Truth and people in it. I don’t know about anyone else, but I see this as a huge problem and yes, a schism. God bless, angeltime:highprayer:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.