What does blessing an item do?

As a non-Catholic I’ve started to notice that some Catholics tend to have certain items blessed. For example, when I married my wife the priest blessed our rings. Another is when her dad blessed a relative’s house and have her some holy water to sprinkle throughout the house later.

This might be a stupid question, but I don’t recall us doing anything similar when I used to attend a SDA church. What does blessing an item do?

Also, I’ve heard that on the off chance her priest becomes Pope decades from now items he touched while blessing them (our rings) become “relics” or something like that. Is that true?

I think blessing a rosary gives it special graces when you say the rosary with that blessed rosary.

fisheaters.com/sacramentalsintro.html

In a nutshell, I think, it is placing the power of prayer, particularly that of the Church onto a person, place, or thing.

It disposes the reception of Graces from God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.