What does canon 1031 say

i was doing a little research on canon 1031 and i did not get enough information on its explanations…can one explain to me what it means…one page…

Can. 1031 §1 The priesthood may be conferred only upon those who have completed their twenty-fifth year of age, and possess a sufficient maturity; moreover, an interval of at least six months between the diaconate and the priesthood must have been observed. Those who are destined for the priesthood are to be admitted to the order of diaconate only when they have completed their twenty-third year.

To be a priest a candidate must be at lest 25 years old, mentally mature, and must have spent at least 6 months as a deacon. Someone who is attempting to become a priest can be ordained a deacon as early as age 23.

§2 A candidate for the permanent diaconate who is not married may be admitted to the diaconate only when he has completed at least his twenty-fifth year; if he is married, not until he has completed at least his thirty-fifth year, and then with the consent of his wife.

Age requirements for permanent deacons: 25 if unmarried, 35 if married. Married deacons must have the consent of their wife.

§3 Episcopal Conferences may issue a regulation which requires a later age for the priesthood and for the permanent diaconate.

Bishop Conferences, like the USCCB can require a higher age requirement for deacons and priest in their area.

§4 A dispensation of more than a year from the age required by §§1 and 2 is reserved to the Apostolic See.

If there is a desire to ignore the age requirement for a special candidate the approval of the Pope must be given for time periods greater than a year a time period of less than a year can be approved by a bishop (so someone about to turn 24 could not become a priest without approval from the Pope, but once they turned 24 a Bishop could approve it)

[quote="PatrickSebast, post:2, topic:271409"]

If there is a desire to ignore the age requirement for a special candidate the approval of the Pope must be given for time periods greater than a year a time period of less than a year can be approved by a bishop (so someone about to turn 24 could not become a priest without approval from the Pope, but once they turned 24 a Bishop could approve it)

[/quote]

I'm gonna bet that an acceptable reason to petition the pope for early priesthood would be in cases of terminal illness or other emergencies.

[quote="DihydrogenOxide, post:3, topic:271409"]
I'm gonna bet that an acceptable reason to petition the pope for early priesthood would be in cases of terminal illness or other emergencies.

[/quote]

Well, in order to become a priest, you need to be able to live the life.
Terminal illness or another emergency wouldn't allow you to live the life.

So I'm gunna say no...:D

[quote="PatrickSebast, post:2, topic:271409"]

Bishop Conferences, like the USCCB can require a higher age requirement for deacons and priest in their area.

[/quote]

I'd like to add that the USCCB does, in fact, reserve this right. From their website:

[quote="Lamentation, post:4, topic:271409"]
Well, in order to become a priest, you need to be able to live the life.
Terminal illness or another emergency wouldn't allow you to live the life.

So I'm gunna say no...:D

[/quote]

Well, then, what is a reasonable reason to petition the Pope.

My guess? Someone who shows promise and has completed their studies ahead of schedule.:cool:

It’s petitioning the Apostolic See, not the pope. The difference being that the Apostolic See is the government of the Church.:thumbsup:

[quote="Lamentation, post:4, topic:271409"]

[quote="DihydrogenOxide, post:6, topic:271409"]
Well, then, what is a reasonable reason to petition the Pope.

[/quote]

Actually such a thing has happened. The book A Priest Forever: The Life of Eugene Hamilton documents a case involving a terminally ill seminarian who was allowed to be ordained after receiving a papal dispensation. He was 24 at the time, and had not completed his theological studies. He died less than three hours later.

That’s who I was trying to think of! I knew I heard of that case, I just couldn’t remember the name. Thank you. :slight_smile:

[quote="DihydrogenOxide, post:9, topic:271409"]
That's who I was trying to think of! I knew I heard of that case, I just couldn't remember the name. Thank you. :)

[/quote]

And I stand pleasantly corrected, thank you.:)

What happens if a 17 year old boy got ordained?

It would be illicit but valid.

[quote="DihydrogenOxide, post:3, topic:271409"]

[/quote]

there was a case of a priest who is now a candidate for sainthood who was ordained early because he was dying, I think of TB, duh I see somebody is way ahead of me

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.