What does Catholicism teach about how to be happy and maintain a positive attitude in our day to day affairs?

Any advice?

Stop trying to be happy and start trying to be good, choose the path of virtue and you will find joy along the way.

You cannot find happiness by trying to be happy, you find happiness by seeking heaven.

“But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you.” Luke 12:13

There is a verse in Philippians chapter 4 which advises what to think upon, starting with"Whatsoever is good…"

Stop trying to be happy and start trying to be good, choose the path of virtue and you will find joy along the way.

You cannot find happiness by trying to be happy, you find happiness by seeking heaven.

“But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you.” Luke 12:13

what a great answer. considered another way, we shouldn’t seek to be happy, instead we shsould seek to be blessed. Jesus tells how:

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are they who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure of heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

I look at it totally different than other people.

Being happy is a choice. Yes, even if you have depression. If you give into it, and don’t work at it, then SURPRISE you’ll feel miserable.

The WORST thing a religious person can do is be miserable. It alienates people and makes it easier to be paint the religious as sad, depressed, or whatever.

Think of it this way-isn’t it insulting-deeply so-to our Lord to walk around in His world miserable and angry?

rascalking, the OP asked what the Catholic Church teaches about happiness. here's what the catechism says:

1718 The Beatitudes respond to the natural desire for happiness. This desire is of divine origin: God has placed it in the human heart in order to draw man to the One who alone can fulfill it:

We all want to live happily; in the whole human race there is no one who does not assent to this proposition, even before it is fully articulated.
How is it, then, that I seek you, Lord? Since in seeking you, my God, I seek a happy life, let me seek you so that my soul may live, for my body draws life from my soul and my soul draws life from you.

God alone satisfies.

thing, is, your assertion that right choices are necessary is on target.. living the beatitudes is a choice. living them is a proper use of free will.

Blessed are the poor in spirit
blessed are the meek
blessed are the pure of heart
and so forth, Matthew chapter 5

somebody beat me to it but you won’t find any better response.

Doing the right thing even though it is the last thing you want to do.

Example. There is a guy at work who is ALWAYS making petty requests and he has no social skills whatsoever in going about it. My manager asked me and another girl to switch tasks. He came up to me and asked why I hadn’t done it yet. I responded ‘This is now Kate’s responsibility please talk to her’ This guy said 'I don’t like this switching of responsibilities I think I will talk to your manager (who happends to be above him on the chain)

Well the other day, my manager had it. She asked me about all the work he had asked me to do. My first thought was ‘finally, an opportunity to tell her how rude he is and all the stupid things he has been asking me to do’

But I did the right thing. I kept it factual and only told her the details from the email he sent me that day. I did not add fuel to her fire and complain about his attitude.

I believe if I get into the habit of doing the right thing when I don’t feel like it, the positive attitude and happiness will come

CM

Hey! Quit talking about me! I know we work together, but keep it private! :smiley:

[quote="Rascalking, post:9, topic:226794"]
Hey! Quit talking about me! I know we work together, but keep it private! :D

[/quote]

I have a better idea, how about you thank me for not putting fuel on the fire :p

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.